Author Topic: DIY Rack Music Stand  (Read 2884 times)

Offline stevewa

DIY Rack Music Stand
« on: February 05, 2020, 02:22:51 AM »
Just pulled this together and decided to pass the results along. I wanted a music stand for sheet music, my iPhone or iPad, etc but I wasn't going to be able to use a free standing stand. I was hoping to find a stand that could mount off the rack from my Crimson kit. Turns out it wasn't that hard to do at all. Here are the photos-

I only needed two things- a standard Alesis drum tom/cymbal mount clamp and a Manhasset Drummer Music Stand. I bought my stand, used, off eBay for $55. The music stand does come with its own clamp but I found that it didn't work with the 1.5" diameter Crimson rack tubing. Unfortunately, the shaft of the music stand is just a tad smaller in diameter than the cymbal hardware that the Alesis clamps traditionally support so the music stand shaft needed a little bit of wrapping to thicken it up slightly. I had a bunch of leftover rubber adhesive roll flashing left over from some window installs so I cut a strip, wrapped the shaft, and the clamp tightened perfectly.

Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Re: DIY Rack Music Stand
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 11:55:32 PM »
Grate idea. Thanks for sharing.
Had to sell a car for my Alesis Strike but I’m ok with it.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 08:36:09 PM »
Nice one. ;)

I did the same type of thing for my laptop, but independent from the rack. It will clamp onto the rack in between the toms though. I also built a homemade trigger mount to go on the right side of the drums to run through the extra inputs on the back of the Command Mesh Module, will build this idea into my kit too. Nice idea, thanks for sharing.

Online AlanK

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 11:48:03 PM »
Why not have a separate stand for your laptop and avoid all the shaking from the action on your drumkit? I bought a Samson stand, was probably $40 or so, really like it.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers