Author Topic: Another DIY e-kit for your viewing pleasure  (Read 2516 times)

Another DIY e-kit for your viewing pleasure
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
Hello errbody. I saw a few older posts of people showcasing their DIY e-kit builds, and thought I would throw my name in the hat as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJ0cwT1v-8

The build is pretty simple: acoustic drum conversion using solar mesh heads (with the exclusion of the two wooden discs for crashes), all single zone, running into a DM4 module, triggering a free sample pack recently released by Sennheiser.
I have helped a few friends of mine build this type of thing, and the experience has actually made me think of trying my hand at making and selling some pads. More specifically, kick pads, since the higher-end ones are ridiculously expensive (Roland KD120/140) and the budget-friendly ones (Alesis Realkick, etc) seem to have some complaints about noise, durability, feel, etc.

Feedback appreciated! What have your experiences with kick pads been like, and do you think people would be willing to buy a DIY conversion pad, or am I potentially just spinning my wheels?

Re: Another DIY e-kit for your viewing pleasure
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 04:48:27 PM »
So I haven't even gotten the DM10 kit I want to get, but I am already thinking about digging out my old Ludwig snare drum I got when I was a kid and converting it to be part of the new ekit.  Is this difficult to do?  It doesn't appear so.  It is funny seeing your hihat is actually a tom!  Lol!  I was like, where is his hihat, then I saw you hitting that tom!  I guess with an ekit, it's irrelevant as it is comprised of piezo pickups!