Author Topic: Pedestal with impact noise insulation for practicing at home  (Read 38306 times)

Offline vaikl

Re: Pedestal with impact noise insulation for practicing at home
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »
It would be nice to quieten down the kick but that will come with a dampening beater,

The beater that Gerdy had recommended in one of his earlier posts - http://www.drum-tec.de/drumtec-soundabsorbingbeater-p-1574.html - can easily absorb up to 50% or more of the impact of a standard beater. I've just bought and checked that beater for myself.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 06:38:20 AM »
Vaikl, thanks for the link. Can anyone shed any light on the materials used on these drum tec beaters. Thinking of a possible diy job. Also, Gerdy, forgot to mention, the acoustic splash will be dampened and converted eventually.
Thanks Guys
Alesis DM6 expanded with DM5 module. Alesis DM10 dual zone pads with mesh head upgrade, Roland KD8 kick trigger

Offline vaikl

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »
Vaikl, thanks for the link. Can anyone shed any light on the materials used on these drum tec beaters.

Beside the standard plastic body and the plastic backside, the beater has a very soft rubber-like top with a smoothened surface and is placed in a rubber-like frame at the body bearing. This frame seems to hold the soft rubber so that it can't slide when hitting the pad head.

Offline Gerdy

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 07:04:52 AM »
Thank you Klaus for describing the absorber beater.
I did not know about your post and wrote a PM to James introducing the Triggerball beater.

James, I do not think that you need a big pedestal.
A thick rubber mat or the introduced anti vibration mats in combination with a carpet on top would do it.
The rubber mats for saving the wooden floor against scratches and to prevent the sliding.
The carpet on top should be of a type that can hold Velcro tape strips very tight.
Velcro tape clued to the bass drum pedal, bass drum pad, drum rack legs and hihat stand would make it save against sliding out of position.
Sometimes carpet shops are having a special offer or left pieces of big carpets.
If your construction is thick enough you can use the spikes from the bass drum pad and hihat stand in addition.
All parts of your drum set (drum rack, bass drum, hihat stand, drum throne) should fit on the construction.

I looked onto your pictures inside your other post and I think the small carpet is the reason that your drum set is sliding.
And the hihat stand is separate on the wooden floor.

Because of the wobbling drum rack you mentioned I would like to continue talking about it inside your Rack Dampening and cable management project.

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
Anyway i'm gonna try that in a few days then come back here and share my experiments :)

Hi Gerdy,

After a few days using the system you described I still haven't heard of my neighbors. I'm guessing it's doing the trick.

I've a pretty heavy way of playing and the pedestal moves quite a bit, thus absorbing most of the vibrations.

So thank you for the well documented post =D

Cheers

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 07:14:30 PM »

Hi Gerdy,
First of all, great pedestal! -but I still have 2 questions.

1. Is it really necessary to glue it all together? Isn't it stable enough without the glue?

And

2. Wouldn't this layering improve the noise reduction quite a bit? What do you think about it? Better/worse?

From up to down:
- Drum mat or carpet
- Wooden board
- 6x rubber cuboids, each with 1 slices
- Halved tennis balls
- Wooden board
- 6x rubber cuboids, each with 3 slices
- Halved tennis balls
- Old carpet saving the floor against “foot prints” from the halved tennis balls

Is this variation decoupling the drums more without much additional work, or is it just silly and unnecessary?

I'd appreciate your answer.

Thanks in advanced!

Julio

Offline vaikl

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »

Hi Gerdy,

I don't think Gerdy is reading or answering here any more. He had left the forum some years ago  :(

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »

Hi Gerdy,

1. Is it really necessary to glue it all together? Isn't it stable enough without the glue?

And

2. Wouldn't this layering improve the noise reduction quite a bit? What do you think about it? Better/worse?

From up to down:
- Drum mat or carpet
- Wooden board
- Halved tennis balls
- Wooden board
- 6x rubber cuboids, each with 3 slices
- Halved tennis balls
- Old carpet saving the floor against “foot prints” from the halved tennis balls

Is this variation decoupling the drums more without much additional work, or is it just silly and unnecessary?

I'd appreciate your answer.

Thanks in advanced!

Julio

Hi,

I think the following would be better, as it was incredibly effective for me :

From up to down:
- Drum mat or carpet
- Wooden board (I used 22mm thickness MDF)
- 5x rubber cuboids, each near the corner one in the middle
- 5x rubber cuboids, each near the corner one in the middle (yes a second layer)
- Wooden board (22mm MDF again)
- 5x rubber cuboids, each near the corner one in the middle
- 5x rubber cuboids, each near the corner one in the middle (yes a second layer)
- Halved tennis balls, I put three halves on each corner cuboid and 4 on the center cuboid
- Old carpet saving the floor against “foot prints” from the halved tennis balls -> really not necessary on classic floor tiles

I glued everything together using cheap hot glue and a standard gun. Really cheap and effective enough for the matter at hand here.

Cheers!