Author Topic: Pintech 10" head not fitting DM10 snare?  (Read 2031 times)

mindabsence

Pintech 10" head not fitting DM10 snare?
« on: February 11, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »
I've finally started on the mesh head mod on my DM10 kit. All my drums are done except the snare, where I've been running into some problems with the head not fitting. I bought the 10" Pintech head because it had gotten great reviews here and wasn't too expensive to ship to Canada either. After I received it, I pulled apart my snare, set it on top, and it doesn't fit. I noticed the inside diameter of the head is a little inconsistent in its diameter, measuring around 10" at the smallest spot, and 10 1/8" at the largest. The top of my drum shell measures almost exactly 10" all the way around. With a little force, I can get the head onto the top lip of the shell, but it's way too tight to get it over the wrap and properly seated.

Pintech sent me another head, and it too has the same measurement inconsistencies and fits (or doesn't fit, that is) like the first one.

What should the inside dimensions of a 10" head measure? The stock Alesis head measures exactly 10 1/8" all the way around and fits like a dream, but after two Pintech ones hardly measuring over 10" I'm now hesitant to order another brand for fear of the same problem.

Has anyone run into this before? What does the top of your drum shell measure, and the inside of your aftermarket skins? I was hoping to put a more premium head on the snare, but with the bad Canadian dollar right now I don't want to keep paying to ship and return heads!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:24:17 PM by mindabsence »

Offline AlanK

Re: Pinech 10" head not fitting DM10 snare?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about the troubles you've had.. I think there were other threads written with people having similar problems with fit, but it may have been with 682Drums mesh heads. I've bought all my mesh from 682, and they fit absolutely perfectly.. and I've got 8's, 10's, 12's and have at bought at least two of each sizing and they've all fit bang on. I'd imagine it's either bad quality control on a batch (or in general, but I've heard only good things about Pintech).. or maybe they're made for metric sizing so they're ever so slightly off? In any case, they should sit right easily on the drum snug enough so they're not rattling around but you should be able to spin them without a lot of effort, say if you seated it and then wanted to turn it so the logo was at the top.. shouldn't have to force it on.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

mindabsence

Re: Pintech 10" head not fitting DM10 snare?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 12:29:40 PM »
Just an update for anyone who finds this in the future: I ended up grabbing a Pearl MFH10 Muffle Head for the snare, and it dropped right on. It measured the same size as the stock Alesis and virtually all other 10" heads I've measured in the past. For some reason the Pintech heads are not a standard diameter and don't fit, or at least the batch of heads they shipped mine from wasn't (I do see that others seem to have Pintech's that have fit in the past).

I have Pearl heads on all the toms too, and they play great. I originally wanted a dual/triple ply head on the snare and kick for extra durability, but after the time and money lost trying the Pintech's on the snare, I decided to just Amazon the cheaper Pearl head for now (I do still have a Pintech on the kick). Perhaps I'll try a Billyblast or 682Drums head in the future!

Offline AlanK

Re: Pintech 10" head not fitting DM10 snare?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »
What a pain of a process, huh? My 682 experience has been fine, and I've bought Roland and Pearl in the past as well, they all fit on their respective rim sizes without a hitch. Amazing how different each mesh head feels and responds. I bought a used Hart snare that had the Hart Maxxum mesh head, it was the sturdiest mesh I've ever felt.. compare it to a tennis racket with more plies.. solid, great to play on, not too overly bouncey. I have a Laurin snare with black mesh, seems more like a window screen but dual layer. Quietest of all the mesh I've tried, most trampoline effect, great for buzz rolls though. The Pearl was a single ply and I ended up selling it with my old ekit, was on the kick drum but doubt it will last the guy too long. My 682 mesh heads are dual ply and play well, bounce nicely but not overly super responsive or trampoline like, and yet I do love them. But I'm not totally happy with the look, kind of see through, translucent? My favourite so far are the Rolands, which I've got on my 8" tom, but they're expensive. $35 here in Canada a couple years ago when I got it. I'm going to buy a 12" for the snare, and a 10" for the other upper tom... they're like $50 & $55 here so I have to replace them in groups.. I'll keep my 682s as backups.. the Rolands in Canada are dual ply so they feel and play pretty fine and aren't see through.. and I like the white mesh. When I think about it, I should have just bought them here locally, and ordered the cones online to do the conversion.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:13:42 PM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers