Author Topic: my Christmas project  (Read 3123 times)

my Christmas project
« on: December 28, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
Hi guys, new to the forum, new to the e-drum world... this is more of a pieced-together project than a DYI as I didn't fabricated anything... What I wanted to achieve was a small foot print kit (2 to 3 stand max) that I can haul and set up with ease (stage presence is not a big deal to me).
CODE NAME: mini  KRAKEN
Its based on the DW go anywhere smart kit practice and the ideas evolved from there... found that the DW base was wobbly so I used the base and 7/8” stem  of a Pearl B-1000 that I had laying around (my  main drums are now set on Yamaha Hex rack)
•   I used multiples (8 in total) of the DWSP2072 clamps (7/8” to ½”)to hook the pads arms 7 on the main stand and  1 on HH stand to hold the DM10
•   a Pearl Ax-38 to hook to Pearl cymbal holders (from B-1030 & B-1000)
•   4 or 5 aquarian onheads (currently sporting 2 X 10”, 2X12”) plus a  1X13” depending on configurations
•   1 Roland BT-1 to be used on rim shot
•   I used a floor tom leg to hold the DM10
•   Quite a few memory locks to secure the inboxes and actual positions
•   1 PDP B.O.A. HH with Giblatar clamp SC-Lrac (clamp to hold the floor leg tom and DM10) the L-rod to secure the BT-1
•   2X PDP B.O.A. pedals with Roland’s KD-7
•   Gen16 HH, Crash, & Ride (13/16/18) (to be used  with either capsule mic or Direct Source configurations)

so far I am very pleased how sturdy it has very little movement... I imagine you will want to know how the aquarian onhead are performing but since I am new to the e-drum I don't have much experience with other pads so I can't say much... I know the signal needs to be work on the  DM10 (sensitivity and threshold but I haven't had much time to play yet) eventually I will post a video but it's time to play and it may take week before I get to it

Offline bmealer

Re: my Christmas project
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
Very interesting project.  Looking forward to future updates.
Alesis DM10-X, Remo Silent Stroke mesh heads, 682drums cone conversion, Tama Speed Cobra double pedal, Pork Pie Big Boy Drum Throne, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL, Studio One Producer, Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »
Hey guys a bit of an update... while I am still waiting for a special cable to be able to record sounds and video on my iphone... I have notice how much the drums module moved with my hi hats stands while playing... being a drum module it should be ok with vibrations but I think I would go with the safe side of thing so I decided to add a 3rd stand just for the modules and will be adding a future auxiliary snare/tom and cymbal (possibly a china)... I got to play with the settings a bit more and while not being good at such things I got a better settings now still feel I got a play with sensitivity as there is not much saying with the FSR technology. Now that I can hear every single strike I have really clean up my style (specially my foot work). I know there is a lot of hate for Zildjian Gen16 out there ... I am really happy with them and love them so far, I am using the tone shapes from Simmons Edgoose dark & brite on nickels (I don't sport the buffed bronze that were equalized for) and I like the sounds... However I have only used headphones so far no yet in a open PA situation... very soon I will post sounds and videos soon!

note: this pictures are prior adding the 3rd stand and digging my old throne from the crawlspace

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »
so I posted in youtube 3 small videos... one at the open air no sound from modules... another with hitting individual triggers and cymbals; 2 sets of sounds for toms and bass drums 6 diff snares same cymbal set up for all  the playing... videos were done with a kVconnection input line to my blackberry and Iphone5 (for some reason on the iphone it recorded mono)... third with music mix from my ipod

here is are the links:
http://youtu.be/-4N3S6XpXmk
http://youtu.be/NzQULHduwHo
http://youtu.be/2vK8lCh3Gl0

I would like to say enjoy but my drumming is not the greatest!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »
What a great job you've done putting this kit together! Very impressive  :D

those cymbals are awesome, would love to buy them someday.. how do you find the holes, do they cause any interference or wreck the tips of the sticks? I'd think maybe on the ride or the hi-hat they might catch or at least add some weird feel interference as you hit them? Or is it negligible?
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Sal

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »
Most portable drumset ever. What a cool build.
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:04:37 PM »
I had no issues with the holes... I also play them with carbon brush rods and also no issues. My weapon of choice are Vic Firth SD4 which are a "barrel" tip styled

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »

Thanks for making those videos. Also, cool that you are playing a tragically hip song!

I'm really interested in getting the gen16 hi-hat since the plastic hats/pedal seems lacking in control and expression. Do you use the gen16 dsp for hat sounds or just mike it directly? Its acoustic sound seem not bad. Could you just eq the acoustic sound and get good sound? If so, maybe I'll just get the hats by themselves...

thanks!

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »
here the set up that i had while playing on top of real drums that were on site....pretty handy "dual" ability setup!

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »
Those cymbals sound awesome!

What are you using for the wood block in front of the snare?
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »
Thanks... for rim shot I use a Roland BT-1 (bar trigger)