Author Topic: How Do I Change the DM10 Default Start up Kit?  (Read 10212 times)

Re: How Do I Change the DM10 Default Start up Kit?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »
Just a heads up to all that is interested in this topic, I posted over at the Alesis get satisfaction forum site. The post was just added to my DM10 OS 2.0 topic. I asked J Sandeen for more info and when this update will be available for all DM10 users.

The more I think about this the more I believe it is not a fluke that pitchedpair's module starts at kit 102. That reminds me:

@pitchedpair: I'm wondering if when you copy a kit if that is when you have the option to make it as the start kit. I'm assuming that after you saved kit 102 is when it ended up being your start kit.

Something eles I was thinking. If you go to OS section in your module again, if you press F4 (MEM) what are your options? I hoping there is a start up kit option possibly there? Mine doesn't have one, it just has a WriteProt option. I'm hoping that would be were Alesis might have put a start up kit option.

Again, I'm sorry as I'm just stabbing in the dark trying to figure this issue out. Hopefully Alesis will make this update available so I can look closer at the changes to this OS.

I will try saving some kits and watch for any prompts that I my have clicked through without realizing it.

I'll also check the F4 thing that you mentioned.

It'll probably be a few days till I'm back.  I'm jammed up tight schedule wise for a few days.

thanks!

Offline vaikl

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
If you look back to joerg's first post where he stated that the start-up kit was the last kit he used before switching the module off and on *and* having the older "m" OS, we have two alternatives:

1.) There maybe a malfunction on the board of few modules - eventually in conjunction with the power switch - that don't reset the module's internal kit list to "000". Could be a faulty eprom.

2.) There (also or only) maybe a hidden OS feature in the general system settings, something like "Load last used kit on start-up".

Curious if Sandeen will answer this ;)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 08:32:40 AM »
If you look back to joerg's first post where he stated that the start-up kit was the last kit he used before switching the module off and on *and* having the older "m" OS, we have two alternatives:

1.) There maybe a malfunction on the board of few modules - eventually in conjunction with the power switch - that don't reset the module's internal kit list to "000". Could be a faulty eprom.

2.) There (also or only) maybe a hidden OS feature in the general system settings, something like "Load last used kit on start-up".

Curious if Sandeen will answer this ;)

Well, anything is possible considering Alesis doesn't really say anything anymore. I'm inclined to believe a hidden OS feature that isn't available to the end user. I'm only basing that on what I know and have seen of the DM10 module.

I too am very curious to Mr. Sandeen comments will be, but to be honest the question has already cycled off the recent activity list. He only tends to answer those questions that are on the recent activity list. Ironically, Mr. Sandeen didn't answer any Alesis question yesterday. I know he was on because he was answering questions on some of the other support forums for InMusic (i.e. AIR Music Tech, Akai Professional, Alto Professional, Ion Audio, M-Audio, MixMeister, Numark, SONiVOX)

On a side note, did anyone notice the change of "Planned" to "Not Planned" for the "iO dock doesn't send sysex messages. Is there a fix?"? ::)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:23:04 AM by Hellfire »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
Ok, we'll soon have this mighty "q" version ready to download:

"J Sandeen:

This is also reference to what HF was showing examples of on this thread and the DmDrummer forum.

Its a minor update.
Sound OS : v1.00q instead of v1.00p listed on the site"

(from the Alesis board)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:16:01 PM by vaikl »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »

"J Sandeen:

This is also reference to what HF was showing examples of on this thread and the DmDrummer forum.

Its a minor update.

(from the Alesis board)

Yes, but we still don't know if pitchedpair issue is a feature or a fluke.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »
Has anyone seen the update yet?  I checked the Alesis support page, and don't find it yet...   Just curious.

"J Sandeen:

Its a minor update.

(from the Alesis board)
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
No, the current download still includes the last 1.00p app version.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
The 1.00q is live!
Download the 1.00q file, or the complete package with the 1.00q in it.

Still no word on a readme file with the changes, but there is a new, VERY interesting tidbit in the installation instructions:
Adjust the Trigger Settings – (DM10 Studio Kit and X Kit only)

Once your DM10 module is updated, be sure to set your Trigger Settings to the correct kit before playing. Note that this
section of the installation guide is specific to the DM10 Studio Kit and the DM10 X Kit only.

1. Power on your DM10 module.
2. Press the UTILITY button.
3. In the screen that appears, choose F4 (SYS).
4. On the next screen, choose F2 (INIT).
Note: The bottom setting on this screen will always say DM10 Studio Triggers when you first arrive at this screen
no matter which Trigger Settings are currently selected in your module.
5. Use the CURSOR down button to highlight the DM10 Studio Triggers setting.
6. Use the VALUE / TEMPO knob to change between the DM10 Studio Triggers setting and the DM10 X Kit
Triggers setting depending upon which kit you have. Once you have chosen the correct kit, press the F4 (EXEC)
button to set your DM10 module trigger settings.
7. You will receive the following message: Are you sure? Initialize all trigger settings? Choose F1 (YES).
8. Finally, press the DRUM KIT button to get back to the main screen. Your trigger settings are now set.

FINALLY Alesis has made a set of trigger settings for the different hardware setups - will be very interesting to check out! :)

And - seems that the boot version is updated too - the old zip file contained the file "ldm0-boot-v1.00e.syx", while the new one contains "DM10_boot_v1.00h.syx".

Wonder what's different! :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:18:46 AM by Trondster »
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
I wouldn't get too excited yet. I just updated my module and other than the present trigger settings (and the fact that I now have to hold down the REC button when updating, which I never had to do before) I haven't found anything of interest.

Unfortunately, there is no start-up kit select or save function that I could find.

Sorry pitchedpair, its looking as if you might have an issue with your DM10. If you really want the old start-up kit, back-up your DM10 settings to a computer and then reinitialize your module. Then restore your setting back to your DM10. If that doesn't work you will have to call Alesis Tech support.

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
Something new from Alesis? And here I am thinking they fell off the face of the earth.
DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;
DIY: Tennis Ball Drum Riser, Cymbal Felt Beater, Footswitch Cymbal Choker[url]

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »
Something new from Alesis? And here I am thinking they fell off the face of the earth.

The only thing new in this update is the ability to select stock trigger settings for either the "DM10 Studio kit" or the "DM10x kit". The only people this helps are the users setting up there kit for the very first time. For everybody else, nothing new. ???

Offline Trondster

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »
Well - haven't checked them yet, but if the trigger settings are better than the stock ones, it could be a huge help for many users...
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Trondster. I wasn't paying much attention to this thred. And yeah, after I started milling around I noticed it was the same sound files, lol. Disappointing really but, here's to keeping hopes high!

Cheers,
Doc
DM10 Studio Kit, Jamdock, Semi Hellfire conversion with Z-Ed Twins mesh heads, Pearl P2002C kicks, Pro-Mark 7AW LA Specials, Evans EQ patches

Offline bobccock

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
well, I've never updated my module and believe me, I have no problems.
Too much updating / less playing

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
I might be a slow learner so could someone please spell it out for me:
Did we just wait for a few years for a miniscule (regular) update? I know nothing is given with Alesis, but with all the fanfares and patting on the back one could have thought it was the event of the year...

I hope i didn't stole your Christmas joy with this :D
User of: Reaper, Jamstix and Alesis DM-10 studio.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
I might be a slow learner so could someone please spell it out for me:
Did we just wait for a few years for a miniscule (regular) update? I know nothing is given with Alesis, but with all the fanfares and patting on the back one could have thought it was the event of the year...

I hope i didn't stole your Christmas joy with this :D

You nailed it. I agree 100%.

I tried to find out what was in this new update just to see if it was even worth getting excited about. Instead of getting an answer to questions we got, "We've got a new update", "Did we mention we have a new update", "Here comes an update!"::)

In the end Alesis used the question and turned it around to try to make good PR. The part that clenched it for me, that made me believe once and for all that it was nothing more than a PR move was when I asked the following question:

As for a video that I posted above that started this thing with the "q" update. Is it safe to assume that the video posted above of a module with a different start-up kit (his module started at kit #102 and not #000) is an issue with his module?

And here was the response:

-It is a possibility, yes.

::)

To be honest, I don't think J Sandeen even knew that Alesis was pulling this stunt, until I asked the question above.

The really sad part about the whole thing is, Alesis wouldn't have even released this minor update had a video not been shown that it even existed.

I can tell that this whole situation did not leave a nice taste in my mouth after it was said and done.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »
To be honest, I think that this "q" was developed and finished as a Release Candidate a longer time ago, just at the time when the 10xKit was primarily placed on the market.

Maybe that at this point very few, first modules were loaded with "q" at the factory, but something - like stopping all development activities and throwing out all developers for the DM's software - must had happened then. If there no experienced software experts for a new OS are available any more, then most companies will roll back their delivery to the latest stable release.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
To be honest, I think that this "q" was developed and finished as a Release Candidate a longer time ago, just at the time when the 10xKit was primarily placed on the market.

I agree.

From my stand point "q" is only meant for internal use only (meaning within Alesis). No end users is ever going to change the "extra" setting that "q" added. It's going to be set at the factory. Which is why Alesis didn't make a big deal about until after someone asked the question and showed it in a video.

They only decided to hype this minor update after they realized that they (Alesis) could use this to their advantage by shutting down the argument that they don't update their product. They sure showed us. ::) Unfortunately, many on the Alesis forum fell for it.

BTW, for those that are asking "where's the love for the DM10 Pro kit", FYI, Alesis is phasing out the DM10 Pro Kit. That is why there is no standard trigger settings for the Pro kit in this new "q" update.

The DM10X kit is the replacement for the Pro.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »
No end users is ever going to change the "extra" setting that "q" added. It's going to be set at the factory. Which is why Alesis didn't make a big deal about until after someone asked the question and showed it in a video.

I don't know. Maybe Alesis had a plan to distribute the module independently from the different kits, because this is a normal marketing strategy when you have a non-changing part and a more or less modular part with different kit/pad/cym configurations.

But I agree that someone at the former Alesis HQ (which is imho now a simple department of Icon) could have had the idea to sell this internal mini-update as the holy grail for the rest of the loyal customers.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 10:37:20 PM »
No end users is ever going to change the "extra" setting that "q" added. It's going to be set at the factory. Which is why Alesis didn't make a big deal about until after someone asked the question and showed it in a video.

I don't know. Maybe Alesis had a plan to distribute the module independently from the different kits, because this is a normal marketing strategy when you have a non-changing part and a more or less modular part with different kit/pad/cym configurations.

They have been selling the DM10 by itself for 2 years now. If an end users uses a DM10 with a non "Studio" or "X" kit, why in the world would they use those settings. Most people who buy a DM10 module by itself, don't go back and then buy a studio or X kit. The kit trigger setting option is irrelevant when the module is sold independently of those two kits. 

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
So then they are saying that I might just have a glitch needing a module reset (at best) .... or at worst, a defective module...?

honestly, I prefer the fact that it jumps to my custom kits, but whatever.

I think I'll perform the reset to see if it goes back to factory settings and then just move the kits around like what was suggested earlier.

Tell me something before I try that:

(I'm at work right now and I don't recall if kit 000 is the one that is associated with sequence #1 by default, but for the sake of my question, let say it is.)

Currently , If the Factory Kit #000 is the kit that comes up when I choose the first sequence called Jalapeno, will my Custom kit "NOW" become the default kit for Sequence #1 ?

(BTW, Thank you guys for all of the help and interest in this thread)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »
So then they are saying that I might just have a glitch needing a module reset (at best) .... or at worst, a defective module...?

Correct.

I think I'll perform the reset to see if it goes back to factory settings and then just move the kits around like what was suggested earlier.

Before you do that I would back-up your DM10 to your PC/MAC. That way you will not loose your custom kit data (and trigger settings).

Tell me something before I try that:

(I'm at work right now and I don't recall if kit 000 is the one that is associated with sequence #1 by default, but for the sake of my question, let say it is.)

Currently , If the Factory Kit #000 is the kit that comes up when I choose the first sequence called Jalapeno, will my Custom kit "NOW" become the default kit for Sequence #1 ?

I'm not really sure. I want say that is correct, but I really don't know. I really don't use the internal sequences. Maybe some else will chime in with the answer on that one. If not I guess I can go do some testing of my own and get back to you. :)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »

The logic behind kits<->sequence is a bit puzzling, I must confess ;) The manual states that at any time you have a kit *and* a sequence loaded. If you change the sequence, then the associated kit will also change to the kit that was active when you'd saved that sequence. If you change the kit, then the actual sequence will *not* change.

I just don't know what happens if you reset the module ???

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 03:37:25 AM »
$4k Australian! Had to cost an arm and a leg. I think I'll start saving now, wait for prices to drop and technology to improve and upgrade someday when the price to performance inter-link is as strong as it was with the DM10 ;)

- Jimmy Rage
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup