Author Topic: How Do I Change the DM10 Default Start up Kit?  (Read 10226 times)

How Do I Change the DM10 Default Start up Kit?
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
Sorry ...I've been through the DM10 manual several times and must just be blind to it, but I can't figure out how I accidentally changed the default start up kit to a custom kit (#102).

I tried searching a number of different ways, but couldn't get a hit on the topic.

I want to change it to my (custom) kit #100.

Thanks for any help :-)

Offline Pier

Re: How Do I Change the DM10 Default Start up Kit?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
Nope, sorry.

It's one the very first thing that was asked to Alesis when they "crowdsourced" for the DM10 operating system 2.0.
But this stuff is actually NOT implemented into the drum unit yet -- to my knowledge.

You'll have to roll that dial disk man...  :(

Offline Trondster

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
So - you're saying that the unit always selects kit #102 when you power up the module?
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »
I got tired of scrolling through 100+ drum kits to get to my "custom" kits as well. I have about 4 custom kits I use, so I copied the first 4 factory kits to 120-123 to preserve them on-board, and then copied kits 101-104 (my custom kits) to 0-3.

Now when I turn on the module, it goes to kit "0", but it's my first custom kit instead of "fusion". Then the next 3 kits are also mine. I figure it's easy enough to back up the module or restore it to factory settings if need be.

For the record, I'd rather have the option to set any kit to load first, or simply load the kit that was active when the unit is turned off.

Sounds like you have a glitch there - I don't think an option to do that is available.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:04:40 PM by Burning Tires »
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline pbear5

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
All kits are editable so I would just save your favorites in the 0-# Slots. If you like any of the existing kits so you dont want to erase them completely you could just shuffle them to to 100-#.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »
Sorry ...I've been through the DM10 manual several times and must just be blind to it, but I can't figure out how I accidentally changed the default start up kit to a custom kit (#102).

I tried searching a number of different ways, but couldn't get a hit on the topic.

I want to change it to my (custom) kit #100.

Thanks for any help :-)

Are you saying that when you power on your module the kit that it starts with is 102? ???

That is not suppose to be possible. Can do a video showing your module on start-up? Either you found (by accident) a hidden way to change the default kit or you might have a weird issue with your module. Either way I hope we are able to figure out how this happened.

Are you sure you just didn't copy kit #102 to location #000? I ask because, that is easy to do and everything get copied. The kit should still come up as number "000" even though it would have the same icon and settings as kit #102.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:13:25 PM by Hellfire »

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Are you saying that when you power on your module the kit that it starts with is 102? ???

That is not suppose to be possible. Can do a video showing your module on start-up? Either you found (by accident) a hidden way to change the default kit or you might have a weird issue with your module. Either way I hope we are able to figure out how this happened.

Are you sure you just didn't copy kit #102 to location #000? I ask because, that is easy to do and everything get copied. The kit should still come up as number "000" even though it would have the same icon and settings as kit #102.

Yeah, let me check that out.  I was thinking the same thing after I posted this question.  I might have just shuffled my "custom" #102 kit to the 000 position.

But If I didn't, I'll be sure to post a video of it doing it.
But here is whats weird ...
When I do power it up (and it shows 102 with my custom kit name) I can dial it back to custom 101 and 100 with 1 click each on the dial ... so it really DOES feel like I'm starting at 102 ...???

Sorry I don't reply real quickly sometimes, I just get busy with other stuff and forget to look back.

Thanks to everyone for the input and comments.

I'll check it out tonight and try to get back to the forum tomorrow (Sat)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:54:24 PM by pitchedpair »

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 05:21:56 AM »
Hello, this is my first post on this board. I'm reading for a few month now. I bought my DM-10 eleven month ago, and since then the start-up-kit changed exactly two times without me wanting it. At the beginning it startet with 000, then changed to 075 (witch I used before switching off) and weeks later to 102 (witch I again used before switching off).

Not a big thing, but even though I would appreciate a hint.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
Hello, this is my first post on this board. I'm reading for a few month now. I bought my DM-10 eleven month ago, and since then the start-up-kit changed exactly two times without me wanting it. At the beginning it startet with 000, then changed to 075 (witch I used before switching off) and weeks later to 102 (witch I again used before switching off).

Not a big thing, but even though I would appreciate a hint.

Welcome to the forum joerg.

Actually, this could be a big thing. I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I would like you to check your DM10 system software. It's real easy to do. Just turn on your DM10, press the "UTILITY" button, press the "F4" button (SYS), then press the "F3" button (O/S) and you should have a list of software versions used on your DM10. They should look something like this:

Trig OS: V1.00a
Sound ROM: V1.03
Sound OS: V1.00p

The "V1.0Xx" part is the important part. Are your versions different than the ones listed above?

@pitchedpair: Can you do the same thing? :)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
Thanks for the friendly "welcome", Hellfire.

Here are the results of my software-check:

Sound OS: U1.00m

So merely the third row is different to your suggestions.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
Thanks for the friendly "welcome", Hellfire.

Here are the results of my software-check:

Sound OS: U1.00m

So merely the third row is different to your suggestions.

Thanks joerg.

If you don't mind me asking, you stated that your Sound OS is U1.00m are you sure that is not V1.00m? I'm assuming that is a typo, but I just want to clarify.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 05:14:44 AM »
Yes, you're right, it's a "V". I was sure yesterday that it was an "U". But now in daytime ...

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »
Hello I also checked my versions

they are:
Trig OS : V1.00a
Sound ROM : V1.03
Sound OS : V1.00q    (it looks like a lowercase "Q"  it faces the opposite direction ...?)

Sorry I didn't get the video yet, but it indeed comes up to number 102 (with my user kit)

and when I turn the dial, it recedes numerically like this:
101, 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95 etc....

I can appreciate wanting to watch it for yourself, and I will try to do that video for you (just really busy).

Thank you for you interest and attempt to help figure this out.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
Hello I also checked my versions

they are:
Trig OS : V1.00a
Sound ROM : V1.03
Sound OS : V1.00q    (it looks like a lowercase "Q"  it faces the opposite direction ...?)

Sorry I didn't get the video yet, but it indeed comes up to number 102 (with my user kit)

and when I turn the dial, it recedes numerically like this:
101, 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95 etc....

I can appreciate wanting to watch it for yourself, and I will try to do that video for you (just really busy).

Thank you for you interest and attempt to help figure this out.

Are you 100% sure the the Sound OS is V1.00q and not V1.00p? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but its very important. Alesis may have slipped a new OS into the modules and haven't give the rest of the owners the update yet. If you truly have a new Sound OS version, you may have a new feature(s) the rest of us don't know about yet.

I don't really need the video. It just would have been icing on the cake. I would however like a picture of your OS version screen if you can.

The reason for wanting a picture and or video of your module doing what you say it is doing, is so Alesis knows that we know this is happing. Alesis will then act more quickly putting a new update for everyone else.

Thanks again for taking the time and reporting back your findings.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »

Yes the character looks like this :  q

and not like this: p

trying to up load the Video to youtube.  I keep getting errors when i try to post the video or picture of the OS page, even though the sizes appear to be below the stated limits

Online Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »
Yes the character looks like this :  q

and not like this: p

trying to up load the Video to youtube.  I keep getting errors when i try to post the video or picture of the OS page, even though the sizes appear to be below the stated limits

Unfortunately, DMdrummer.com can't handle videos. For some reason the pictures seem to be hit or miss. I know many people have made sure there pictures are under 600 kb and those seem to load just fine.

I look forward to your youtube video. It looks like you are the only know person to have the new OS in your DM10. Congrats!

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
Here's the video showing the start up process as well as the OS page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wouaKaUArc&feature=youtu.be

Offline Trondster

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 12:55:27 PM »
Definitely 1.00q, on a module that starts up at kit #102. :)

Wonder what other differences there might be...
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 02:00:13 PM »

and to be clear ... when I got the unit, it started up to kit 000 just like it should have.  It wasn't till I started making changes and saving kits that I first noticed it powering up that way.

It might not be related, but it seemed like it occurred after I made a few system changes, but I was very unfamiliar with the unit at that point, so I can't even say what I was doing right before I noticed it.

Hope we can figure it out, I know that I could always do a factory reset, but I kind of like not having to dial all the way through the kits, or change the factory configuration to get right at the kits I want to use.

Thanks again

Online Hellfire

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »
Here's the video showing the start up process as well as the OS page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wouaKaUArc&feature=youtu.be

Thank you very much! That is definitely a "Q".

It looks as if Alesis made some updates and didn't say anything.  ::)

I just double checked the Alesis site for updates to the DM10 and there are none. As Trondster stated, I too am wondering what other differences there might be.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »

and to be clear ... when I got the unit, it started up to kit 000 just like it should have.  It wasn't till I started making changes and saving kits that I first noticed it powering up that way.

It might not be related, but it seemed like it occurred after I made a few system changes, but I was very unfamiliar with the unit at that point, so I can't even say what I was doing right before I noticed it.

Hope we can figure it out, I know that I could always do a factory reset, but I kind of like not having to dial all the way through the kits, or change the factory configuration to get right at the kits I want to use.

Thanks again

It may have happened when you saved the kit. Have you tried going to kit 000 and pushing the save button to see the options? I'm stretching here as I have no clue what is different about this OS. I'm assume the start up kit is somewhere in the save function. Just a guess.

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »

Thanks again

It may have happened when you saved the kit. Have you tried going to kit 000 and pushing the save button to see the options? I'm stretching here as I have no clue what is different about this OS. I'm assume the start up kit is somewhere in the save function. Just a guess.

The options show what the manual shows ....

I did contact Alesis techsupport soon after posting the question here and the guy told me the same thing that you guys did ... nope, you can't do that... (seem to remember him saying that there weren't any planned updates for it either, not sure though).

Online Hellfire

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
I did contact Alesis techsupport soon after posting the question here and the guy told me the same thing that you guys did ... nope, you can't do that... (seem to remember him saying that there weren't any planned updates for it either, not sure though).

We now know that isn't true. Your video shows a Sound OS version that apparently isn't suppose to be out yet. I'm sure based on your video that you have a feature that lets you change the start-up kit. It may be something as simple just saving a kit. Have you tried changing anything on kit 000 and saving it just to see what happens?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
Just a heads up to all that is interested in this topic, I posted over at the Alesis get satisfaction forum site. The post was just added to my DM10 OS 2.0 topic. I asked J Sandeen for more info and when this update will be available for all DM10 users.

The more I think about this the more I believe it is not a fluke that pitchedpair's module starts at kit 102. That reminds me:

@pitchedpair: I'm wondering if when you copy a kit if that is when you have the option to make it as the start kit. I'm assuming that after you saved kit 102 is when it ended up being your start kit.

Something eles I was thinking. If you go to OS section in your module again, if you press F4 (MEM) what are your options? I hoping there is a start up kit option possibly there? Mine doesn't have one, it just has a WriteProt option. I'm hoping that would be were Alesis might have put a start up kit option.

Again, I'm sorry as I'm just stabbing in the dark trying to figure this issue out. Hopefully Alesis will make this update available so I can look closer at the changes to this OS.

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »

Sorry, I should have clarified the context of his statement.  The technician told me that there weren't any plans to make either an update for the start up kit option, or for another question I had about making one of the inputs able to respond to an Alesis pedal. 

(I wanted to assign a clave (or cowbell sound) to one of the extra inputs and operate it with a pedal instead of a pad. He said neither feature I requested would be happening.  I really hope he was mistaken about both :-)

We now know that isn't true. Your video shows a Sound OS version that apparently isn't suppose to be out yet. I'm sure based on your video that you have a feature that lets you change the start-up kit. It may be something as simple just saving a kit. Have you tried changing anything on kit 000 and saving it just to see what happens?