Author Topic: Looking for feedback from DM10 pro kit users...  (Read 2931 times)

Looking for feedback from DM10 pro kit users...
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am currently trying to upgrade some stuff in my project studio. I don't do much of anything with drum mics. Mainly because I don't have enough $$ to buy good ones, nor a good room for micing a kit. So I have been doing the trigger thing for a year now.

I currently run Toontrack software. I have a couple of the EZ Drummer libraries along with a couple of the SD 2.0 packs.

I have been waiting for a decent priced fill trigger kit for a while now, and after seeing the very few reviews I could find on the DMpro 10 kit, it has caught my attention.

Basicaly, I want to be able to branch out to several drummers and styles that may come into my studio. I have the ability to use an acoustic drum kit with the set of Roland Vdrum acoustic triggers I have. But I have been using crappy cymbal pads and what not from the Yamaha DTXplorer kit for the cymbals and hats, and the hi hat controller for that kit is AWEFUL.

So when see the DM10 pro kit, first thing I thought was the module looks amazing. Full of great sounds and features, plus with my Toontrack library I have even more to work with. The next thing that caught my eye was the Surge cymbals and thier abilities. Plus the DM10 itself having all but one or two dual zone inputs.

So, if a drummer comes in here and can feel cozy on the Dm10 kit, great. He has to bring little to no hardware. If not, they can bring in thier own kits and I can use the Roland acoustic triggers on thier acoustic kits with adding the Surge and hat setup from the dm10 kit to the mix.

So, does any metal drummers on here use the DM10? Or hard rock drummers that may move quick? I was just looking for some feedback for heavier drummers on the DM10 kit itself.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Guinness

Re: Looking for feedback from DM10 pro kit users...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »
Are you looking for feedback on the DM10 module itself, or the pads?

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 03:41:17 AM »
Well, I saw Phil Boland's video review of the kit, and he covered a lot of the module already and it helped me decide into buying one. Looking to order the kit this week.

I guess I am looking for drummers who have used it and how they feel about the pads. Would like input from drummers who know a bit about triggers and how to setup the proper settings as far as sensitivity on ear trigger and what not.

And also, id the rack that comes with it a standard size like that from Gibraltar?

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:41:29 AM »
HI,

I've only had the DM10 Pro for a week, plus I'm returning to drumming after many years to an electric kit rather than accoustic so I don't know if my opinion is worth much yet!..... But so far, I've had problems with the triggering and cross-talk, but may have a faulty unit as there is an odd issue when pewering up that Alesis feel a replacment 'brain' would rectify.

Although I've not played for many years, I used to play hard and fast and it appears things are no different now. I specifiaclly bought lighter drumsticks (7A) than i used in the past purely in an attempt to protect my investment. After a week of bashing the hell outta the kit, there are only the usual stick marks you would expect to see on the heads. As far as tracking is concerned, I've not noticed it miss a beat other than the ones I drop. There has been a bit of an issue with the crash not triggering at all occaisionally for single hits, but I'm fairly sure that is due the the faulty brain.

The rack IS standard size I beleive, as many people have advised that standard rack kit can be used to expand as required.

I'm not sure if I beleive the hype about being able to load new sounds from the likes of FXPansion anymore, as I have been in contact with them and they don't admit to knowing anything about it. Don't get me wrong, the standard kit sounds are good, but BFD sounds are fantastic. I'm also not sure how they are going to be able to add them to the existing sound sets from a memory capacity viewpoint. Unless they are going to release a USB module that the sound sets are loaded onto and must then be left plugged in. But in your environment you'll just be able to midi out I guess to an external software module.

Overall 8/10. Would be 9/10 if the brain had not been faulty.

Hope this helps.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
...And also, id the rack that comes with it a standard size like that from Gibraltar?
Yes. :)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »
I'm not sure if I beleive the hype about being able to load new sounds from the likes of FXPansion anymore, as I have been in contact with them and they don't admit to knowing anything about it. Don't get me wrong, the standard kit sounds are good, but BFD sounds are fantastic. I'm also not sure how they are going to be able to add them to the existing sound sets from a memory capacity viewpoint. Unless they are going to release a USB module that the sound sets are loaded onto and must then be left plugged in. But in your environment you'll just be able to midi out I guess to an external software module.
The sound sets are coming (at least from what I am told). I think Dan even made mention about it in this post:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=156.msg968#msg968

The sound sets work by replacing the internal sound set in the module. They are download into the DM10 via the USB cable and your computer. Once the transfer is complete you do not need the DM10 connected to your computer. I hope that helps.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Re: pads, it's all about 3 things(IMO):  Stick feel, accoustic sound, durability.

I'm far from an expert opinion on edrums, but I've emersed myself in it.  As like MoonlightBob, I'm picking up sticks again, after setting them down for years.

What I've learned, I've read or watched on the web.  The mylar Alesis pads IMO feel pretty good stick wise, but they are a bit loud accoustically.  I've been told the head will wear out pretty quickly with heavy sticks.  I was using 5B's, and the pads on my DM5 held up  (but, then again, i didn't have the kit that long.  I returned it once I figured out the DM5's limitations.  With these heads, I could actually feel stick indentations, not on the mylar, but on the pad behind it.  So, I'm pretty sure it would wear out in time. 
A common thing to do it convert to Mesh heads.  These too will wear out, but not as quickly as the mylar setup..  at least that's what I've read.  Some people use double ply mesh heads for added durability and less stick bounce.  Billy Blast heads offers a 'power dot', so-to-speak, for increased durability.  But from what I'm told, that'll increase the accoustic sound of the drum.

I suppose a question is...  what are you looking to do?  Do you have space requirments?  Volume issues?

As for the brain, the DM10 is 64 poly, which means it can only play 64 notes at once.  Once the 65th note is stuck, the 1st note will cut out.  Some modules have 128 poly.  I have not heard/read that 64 poly is an issue.  Do you think you'll be able to play 64 notes all at once?

Hellfire knows WAY more about this stuff than I.  Further, he's been edrumming for years, so, I recommend picking his brain to get your questions answered.

Have fun!