Author Topic: Alesis DMHat Pedal ?  (Read 2118 times)

Alesis DMHat Pedal ?
« on: November 08, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »
Can the Alesis DMHat Pedal be used to trigger others things like Snare, Kick, Toms, Cymbals??  Using a Nitro Mesh kit  I want to keep the hit hat pedal dedicated as intended and then buy an extra Alesis DMHat pedal or two and use them to trigger other things while I play guitar or Keys so I can do sort of a one man band thing? If not cannot can one be modded or if anyone has suggestion on the best way to create such triggers that can be tapped with my feet I appreciate suggestions. Thanks

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis DMHat Pedal ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
Can the Alesis DMHat Pedal be used to trigger others things like Snare, Kick, Toms, Cymbals??  Using a Nitro Mesh kit  I want to keep the hit hat pedal dedicated as intended and then buy an extra Alesis DMHat pedal or two and use them to trigger other things while I play guitar or Keys so I can do sort of a one man band thing? If not cannot can one be modded or if anyone has suggestion on the best way to create such triggers that can be tapped with my feet I appreciate suggestions. Thanks

The DMHat is an open/closed-on/off pedal.
Some modules have an option switch on the back (switch/pad) in order for it to be used for a kick,otherwise it is mainly for a hi hat hat controller input.There are modules/TMI that will recognize both types of HH pedals..continuous/variable or open/closed-on/off (Example:TriggerI/O)

It will not work on a trigger input.

If you are planning to trigger as a standalone sound module or with a drummer sitting at a kit there are a many options as you can also access the GM sounds in the module.. drums (MIDI CH 10) including all the backing instruments/sounds(MIDI CH 1).
It all depends on your rig/setup...especially if you are using a laptop/pc/tablet etc.
You could trigger the samples through midi (5 pin) using hardware like a keyboard or a midi pedal board (Example:Behringer FCB1010), that can be programmed to send midi notes..on/off  or through any software you may be using for keyboard/guitar that is capable of assigning/sending midi notes.
If you want a keyboard and a midi pedal to both have access , you would use a MIDI merge box.

One issue will be dynamics/velocity.If you are happy with one shots , then there is no issue.
This module as most others does not interpret aftertouch(keyboard) and majority of MIDI pedal boards do not send velocity unless it's something like a Roland PK-5A (the FCB1010 defaults to 64 velocity but has the ability to program individual velocity per note) but there will be no dynamics.
As mentioned before..It all depends on your rig/setup.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »
Thank you for the informative reply!
1.I want to use the Nitro Mesh Module to play kick, snare, a tom and crash with my feet. Since the DMhat pedal will not work I plan to make some Piezo triggers that I can tap with my feet to create a beat for a one man band set up. Do you see any reason that piezo triggers wont work?
2.One thing I was wondering was are the 1/4 plugs on the Nitro mesh wire harness Stereo or Mono? I have purchased Mono Female 1/4" Jacks.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:18:07 PM »
Thank you for the informative reply!
1.I want to use the Nitro Mesh Module to play kick, snare, a tom and crash with my feet. Since the DMhat pedal will not work I plan to make some Piezo triggers that I can tap with my feet to create a beat for a one man band set up. Do you see any reason that piezo triggers wont work?
2.One thing I was wondering was are the 1/4 plugs on the Nitro mesh wire harness Stereo or Mono? I have purchased Mono Female 1/4" Jacks.
According to the Alesis site everything for the Nitro Mesh Kit is single zone except for the snare.
You can check the cables and see if there is a ring on them.Some of the DB25 harnesses were interchangeable, but the zones weren't activated in the module.(different firmware's)

You're going to need to really dampen/isolate the piezo triggers/boxes especially if you plan on mounting to a single board as they are going to be sensitive and a lot of cross talk.
Keep in mind the Nitro module doesn't have all the abilities/options in the trigger settings that the more advanced modules have to help address all the issues you may encounter.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 12:51:20 AM »
Thanks. This statement kind of concerns me. "Nitro module doesn't have all the abilities/options in the trigger settings that the more advanced modules have to help address all the issues you may encounter."
I read others have done this using a Yamaha  DTX 500. Isn't the Nitro newer and better than that? What settings do you think I will be missing and what module would work better without spending alot?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:02:43 AM by Drumgoat »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »
Thanks. This statement kind of concerns me. "Nitro module doesn't have all the abilities/options in the trigger settings that the more advanced modules have to help address all the issues you may encounter."
I read others have done this using a Yamaha  DTX 500. Isn't the Nitro newer and better than that? What settings do you think I will be missing and what module would work better without spending alot?

The NITRO isn't "New".The name was changed when Alesis dropped the "DM" from all the modules except for the "DM6 NITRO" and "DM10" series , which actually the original DM10 has a lot more abilities/settings than the MKII models. it just became dated on the sounds and the single zone Hi Hat.The DM6 NITRO module is similar if not the same as the NITRO mesh other than probably new firmware for the Mesh.Some say it was the DM7X since the photos on the product page actually showed DM7X on the back of the module.
The DM6 is over 10 years old.It's actually a rebranded Medeli.
The trend over the past few years changed as everyone wanted mesh/cone,a more "acoustic" look, and the ability to load their own samples.The entry level modules were updated to mesh > the intermediate models added multiple zones, mesh/sample loading > the top end added multiple samples and layering and more.

The triggers that are included with Kits were specifically setup for that module in a lot of cases there is a pcb board with a specific setup , not just a piezo or a switch to a jack, which is why you'll see in nearly every post from an Alesis Rep when asked about trigger compatibility "will this cymbal/tom work with my kit".. the response is.."It may work but is not officially supported"

The NITRO is single zone triggers... open/closed HiHat..basic settings,whereas advanced modules have multiple zones with a continuous/variable HiHat and more advanced options/settings including Retrigger,XTalk Rcv..XTalk Send.(instead of just a single cross talk setting.) Velocity and other settings like changing the trigger type from Piezo to switch that help adapt other triggers and you can dial the module in better.

The amount of adjustment will depend on how you build your triggers..Piezo size..directly mounted..proximity to other triggers etc.
It's going to be difficult to get a consistent hit on a Piezo/trigger box with your foot as just changing shoe type will affect it along with different Velocity Curves.I would check the manual and see if you can set the Curve to Constant,then the Piezo/trigger box would act more like a switch.You can't build switch boxes as the module doesn't have the ability to  change the trigger type from Piezo to Switch.

As far as Yamaha goes..for the most part their triggers/wiring etc are proprietary..the modules interpret the signal completely different than Alesis or Roland and as far as having something in common...the triggers have a "Piezo"

When it's DYI it's all trial and error..build your triggers set it up and go from there.
It's not a matter of will the Piezo boxes work..it's getting them to work well..

EDIT:
After doing some checking..there isn't a "constant" setting for the Velocity Curve in this module....Set Velocity Curve to 6
"Very little dynamic response, making it easy to maintain strong volume levels. If using drum triggers, these settings help maintain stable levels."

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:19:49 PM by Chaser »