Author Topic: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"  (Read 183155 times)

Offline JimmyB

Re: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2016, 11:56:31 AM »
Thanks for the vid!  I'm glad to hear they sampled all new instruments. I hope they chose many more brands than the DM10 came with. Might have to have one at that price.
JimmyB

Offline Khes74

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »
This video  around 2:30 states that the module also works as a sampler, I'm curious to who would use such a feature
I might be mixing up or not fully understanding what sampling is though. From what I understand an example of sampling would be how the song "Anaconda" has parts from "Baby Got Back" Or "If I could Fly" and "Viva La Vida"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyP4pHFAv3w (around 2:30)

I may be a little lost, are we speculating that the module has sounds from Air's Strike 2 VSTi? Do we have any evidence besides the name to support this claim?

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »
This video  around 2:30 states that the module also works as a sampler, I'm curious to who would use such a feature
I might be mixing up or not fully understanding what sampling is though. From what I understand an example of sampling would be how the song "Anaconda" has parts from "Baby Got Back" Or "If I could Fly" and "Viva La Vida"

I may be a little lost, are we speculating that the module has sounds from Air's Strike 2 VSTi? Do we have any evidence besides the name to support this claim?

I was stated on the web Information the Module Sample and read wav files....

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2016, 01:08:05 PM »
Incase you guys were wondering about the multi piezo element set-up, I think I found the patent for it. It was filed on June 5th 2014. Here's the link:

freepatentsonline.com/20150294658.pdf

Something about this look familiar to me…. ???

Offline Khes74

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »

It can load wav files yes, doesn't mean they are from that specific VSTi.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »

It can load wav files yes, doesn't mean they are from that specific VSTi.

There is no module out there can imports directly from VST only nfuse with BFD Licensed, but they are limited to 8 layers on the module, Company need to be licensed, what all are doing like 2box, they are using SDSE  http://lustark.com/sdse and you have all wav from any VST directly to your desktop same as original one,  you can't have better way than this,  all the VST to *.wav in a click for all velocity level in your hand. Right now with 2box you can have all VST sound in 2box and SD cards, you grab the wav from any VST, and put them on Module that handle multilayers capability.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:44:25 PM by ChrisK »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
There is no module out there can imports directly from VST only nfuse with BFD Licensed, but they are limited to 8 layers on the module, Company need to be licensed, what all are doing like 2box, they are using SDSE  http://lustark.com/sdse and you have all wav from any VST directly to your desktop same as original one,  you can't have better way than this,  all the VST to *.wav in a click for all velocity level in your hand. Right now with 2box you can have all VST sound in 2box and SD cards, you grab the wav from any VST, and put them on Module that handle multilayers capability.

Don't forget that the sampled sounds for a VSTi are only one factor for quality. The "audio engine" as the core of a plugin or standalone software makes the difference. If it's algorithms are sh.t, you won't get good sounds, even with the best recordings in the biggest studios.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2016, 02:19:06 PM »

I'm not 100% sure what Alesis means by "sampling", but newer music hardware like some drum machines have the ability to record audio via a dedicated audio/aux in and then edit the recorded sample directly on the module to create i.e. a one-shot sound for a pad. Could also be a short, 3 second long piece like a loop etc. or maybe longer parts.

This way you won't need the PC editor software to customize and upload own sounds. But as i wrote before - with the bad experience from the DMDock i won't believe it before i could see it live from Alesis ;)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
The AIR Strike editor is an "arranger" and is intended mainly for producers with keyboards, not for real drummers. I can't see a feature that could allow users to resample their own soundfiles with given layers and upload it to a module. I don't think that they will use a stripped-down version as an editor - and Alesis just have a working GUI and app framework with the DMTouch app ...........

Thanks for pointing out that Strike 2 doesn't export multi-layer instument/kit files, and reminding me to read the funky manual fully.

Another option could be Big Bang Universal Drums 2 (http://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/big-bang-universal-drums-2) from Sonivox (also an inMusic partner). It saves and loads .SVX format kit files, but I'm just speculating until we find out what the Strike kit file format will be.

At this stage the Strike module's front panel and display views look like a repackaged DM10, and it's good to see that at least 2 layers (A&B) of instrument sound files (per pad) can be tweaked.

I'm curious to know if the Crimson module allows separate sounds to be assigned for rims of the snare and/or toms?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:37:08 PM by rhysT »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »
I'm not 100% sure what Alesis means by "sampling", but newer music hardware like some drum machines have the ability to record audio via a dedicated audio/aux in and then edit the recorded sample directly on the module to create i.e. a one-shot sound for a pad. Could also be a short, 3 second long piece like a loop etc. or maybe longer parts.

Surprise, surprise, Dan Radin seems to be back @ Alesis ;D ;D

In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZePmtT2OKT0) he demoes the Strike set (again no sound) and confirms what i was assuming (around 1:30): beside being an input for accompaniment music from an ipad i.e., the aux-in on the back of the module serves also as an audio input for sampling directly on the module, without needing the PC editor.
No info about accepted input harware, possible sampling frequencies, bit rates and all the other interesting stuff :(

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »

Surprise, surprise, Dan Radin seems to be back @ Alesis ;D ;D

In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZePmtT2OKT0) he demoes the Strike set (again no sound) and confirms what i was assuming (around 1:30): beside being an input for accompaniment music from an ipad i.e., the aux-in on the back of the module serves also as an audio input for sampling directly on the module, without needing the PC editor.
No info about accepted input harware, possible sampling frequencies, bit rates and all the other interesting stuff :(

What is disheartening is the comment "a movable 12" hihat" which merely suggests the hats to be another fluke (i.e. not dual zone). Note that he mentions zones on all the other cymbals (3 dual zone 14" crashes).

And IF the hihat does have dual zones I'm afraid they might have put the other one on the bell and not the edge ...

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »
"Dan Radin"

I think he says Dan Reinke with Alesis?
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
"Dan Radin"

Maybe, but there's no "Dan Reinke" and "Alesis" result on google. These one's (https://twitter.com/dan_radin, https://about.me/danradin) come really close to the video. Maybe he's just helping out?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2016, 06:18:59 PM »

freepatentsonline.com/20150294658.pdf

Something about this look familiar to me…. ???

Could it be the Markdrum YES?? http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3547.0

No not Markdrum. A little closer to home for me.

I'm not sure if you read the patent at all, but there is a section of it that is very close to this:

New Three Zone eDrum Trigger Assembly

There is one difference (Alesis added a potentiometer between the two head zones), but the idea is basically the same. BTW, I posted that article February 5, 2009. The Alesis provisional patent wasn't filed until June 5th 2014.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:21:02 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
"Dan Radin"

Maybe, but there's no "Dan Reinke" and "Alesis" result on google. These one's (https://twitter.com/dan_radin, https://about.me/danradin) come really close to the video. Maybe he's just helping out?

That is not Dan Radin. I know what Dan Radin looks like and that is not Dan Radin.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2016, 06:56:08 PM »
That is not Dan Radin. I know what Dan Radin looks like and that is not Dan Radin.

Ok, ok, but he's coming close.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2016, 05:48:32 PM »
I've been looking at this picture some more:

(must be logged in to see pic)
And I have to say, I'm really looking forward to this new product. Seeing that we will be able to adjust the "attack" of a given sound is awesome (I sure hope the decay adjustment is still there). With this kind of control I really hope that the new module lets you mix two different instruments like the DM10 did. If the new "Strike" has all the editing functionality of the DM10 and more (like the old 2.0 topic), this thing will be huge! I'll even go as far to say "game changing" if the pricing stays the same. Admittedly they are a lot of "ifs", but the potential is there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:50:35 PM by Hellfire »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2016, 07:22:23 PM »
.... If the new "Strike" has all the editing functionality of the DM10 and more (like the old 2.0 topic), this thing will be huge! I'll even go as far to say "game changing" if the pricing stays the same. Admittedly they are a lot of "ifs", but the potential is there.
I'm wondering how the proposed Kit editor software will function, wrt Jman's comment of a likely 640 sample maximum per kit.

IF Alesis retain many of the DM10 single layer instrument samples and allow them to be assigned to A/B layers for most trigger pads, that should leave sufficient spare kit sample capacity for a multi-layered snare and hihat, etc.

Whereas if it's more like the NFUZD (& Big Bang Drums) model of assembling complete kits in the editor and transferring them into the module's memory slots, there may be an option to have either 'internal' or 'external' kits, but not a combo of internal and multi-layered external instruments.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:40:46 PM by rhysT »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
.... If the new "Strike" has all the editing functionality of the DM10 and more (like the old 2.0 topic), this thing will be huge! I'll even go as far to say "game changing" if the pricing stays the same. Admittedly they are a lot of "ifs", but the potential is there.
I'm wondering how the proposed Kit editor software will function, wrt Jman's comment of a likely 640 sample maximum per kit.

Is 640 samples max per kit a problem? Please keep in mind that the DM10 only has between 30 and 60 samples total per kit? 640 samples would be 10 times the current sample depth that we get from Alesis modules now. I'd say that's a great improvement.

If you want to compare a modules sample depth to VSTs, of course it is less powerful. I've yet to see a module that's as powerful as a full VST. Not even NFUZD is as powerful as a full VST, but this new Strike module is shaping up to be the most powerful drum module on the market. Assuming Roland and Yamaha don't counter by Summer Namm. If I had to guess on the price of the Strike module by itself, I'll say $899.95. That's a total guess, but I wouldn't expect to see the module sold by itself until next year.

IF Alesis retain many of the DM10 single layer instrument samples and allow them to be assigned to A/B layers for most trigger pads, that should leave sufficient spare kit sample capacity for a multi-layered snare and hihat, etc.

I wasn't referring to the DM10 samples in my comment. I was referring to the editing capability of the DM10. Samples and editing with a Layer A/B option are two different things. I'm hoping the new "Strike" module (like the DM10) will let me mix two different instruments and edit those instruments based on decay,attack,velocity, etc.

Whereas if it's more like the NFUZD (& Big Bang Drums) model of assembling complete kits in the editor and transferring them into the module's memory slots, there may be an option to have 'internal' or 'external' kits but not a mixture of both.

I would hope that the Strike module will let the user select their sampled instruments no differently than the modules internal samples. BTW, I'm guessing the Strike module will let a user totally replace the internal sounds if he wishes or just some of the sounds. To be an all or nothing like the DM10 would be very short sighted.

On a side note, I wonder if Pearl is in talks with Alesis for a new REDbox module? Pearl has the same problem as Alesis (being the REDbox is a DM10 colored red), it's old. Either Pearl is going to get out of the edrum biz or they need to upgrade. Are they working on their own module or will the "partner" with a company like Alesis to come out with a new module. Just thinking out loud. :)

Offline rhysT

« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »
Is 640 samples max per kit a problem? Please keep in mind that the DM10 only has between 30 and 60 samples total per kit? 640 samples would be 10 times the current sample depth that we get from Alesis modules now. I'd say that's a great improvement .........

I would hope that the Strike module will let the user select their sampled instruments no differently than the modules internal samples. BTW, I'm guessing the Strike module will let a user totally replace the internal sounds if he wishes or just some of the sounds. To be an all or nothing like the DM10 would be very short sighted.

Yeah I agree 640 samples per kit should be sufficient based on say 40 velocity samples X 16 trigger inputs (plus with 'round-robins' included).

Also FYI, 2box allows combinations of multi-layered .dsnd files with ,wav files in their DrumIt kits using an editor like: http://lustark.com/drumit-manager.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:51:35 AM by rhysT »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
" If I had to guess on the price of the Strike module by itself, I'll say $899.95. That's a total guess, but I wouldn't expect to see the module sold by itself until next year. "

In my local music store they sell the DM10 for $899, so I have a feeling the Strike module will be double or at least $1500 (here in Canada). The individual part pricing is insane considering the savings when buying the whole kit together. I was lucky to get my DM10X on sale and with a rebate, so paid $998 a couple years ago.. imagine thats only a hundred more than the module. And replacement 12" pads are about $229, the 16" ride was $140 or $160. 3x12", 2x10", hi-hat, 2xcrash, ride, module, rack, kick drum, cables, adapter.. the pieces bought on their own I'm sure would cost 3k.

This Strike Pro if it plays as well as it looks, will definitely give the Roland and similar flagship brands a run for their money.. I'm not sure this module will compare but it sure does look cool. I was hoping for even more inputs than it has.. seems it gives you only one extra unless you start splitting them again.. would have been nice to have 3 or 4 extras..I'd be aiming for a kit setup that has 2 extra crashes and would like 2 more for a pair of extra toms or side snare or whatever. Not that I'd use them for sure, but it would just be nice not to have to split what's there.

Also surprised that they are still using an adapter and haven't switched to just a power cord.. I'm sure that means they need an extra space for some kind of power conversion or regulation in the module (not an expert on AC DC whatever), just hate adapters.. they're so easy to break the flimsy cable and an extra huge block on your power outlet..plus they just don't look as pro as having a true power cable coming out.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:43:51 AM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2016, 10:57:59 AM »
" If I had to guess on the price of the Strike module by itself, I'll say $899.95. That's a total guess, but I wouldn't expect to see the module sold by itself until next year. "

In my local music store they sell the DM10 for $899, so I have a feeling the Strike module will be double or at least $1500 (here in Canada). The individual part pricing is insane considering the savings when buying the whole kit together. I was lucky to get my DM10X on sale and with a rebate, so paid $998 a couple years ago.. imagine thats only a hundred more than the module.

I know here in the states the DM10 was sold at $699.00 at its highest price point ($499.00 at it's lowest). I really hope they keep the module under a grand at least. This is important if they want to stay at the affordable range of things which I believe Alesis does.

Also surprised that they are still using an adapter and haven't switched to just a power cord.. I'm sure that means they need an extra space for some kind of power conversion or regulation in the module (not an expert on AC DC whatever), just hate adapters.. they're so easy to break the flimsy cable and an extra huge block on your power outlet..plus they just don't look as pro as having a true power cable coming out.

I agree and yes they would need more space to put the power supply inside the module. Plus, they would need to make the module case out of metal to help dissipate the heat of an internal power supply. I think they are trying to keep cost down by using the wall wart. Which is another reason why I think Alesis is hoping to offer this module under a grand.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
Is 640 samples max per kit a problem? Please keep in mind that the DM10 only has between 30 and 60 samples total per kit? 640 samples would be 10 times the current sample depth that we get from Alesis modules now. I'd say that's a great improvement .........

Yeah I agree 640 samples per kit should be sufficient based on say 40 velocity samples X 16 trigger inputs (plus with 'round-robins' included).

Also FYI, 2box allows combinations of multi-layered .dsnd files with ,wav files in their DrumIt kits using an editor like: http://lustark.com/drumit-manager.

You don't need 40 multi-samples for Cymbal\ Kick\percussion for each instruments, just use less amount of sample for these on the modules and you can do this, unless you want to waist your memory, the big issue on stock sound module are snare\toms mostly considerable multi-samples much needed to avoid artifact..
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:45:34 PM by ChrisK »

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
I assume it will be backward compatible with previous Alesis and other brand pads to increase profits. If the sounds are a significant improvement over the DM10, then I would definitely buy it for $900. After all the mods I have done I'm really not interested in getting a whole new kit just to get the module no matter how good it is. The other features are great, but sounds and compatibility are my bottom line.