Author Topic: Alesis RealHead Dual-Zone Pads running mono  (Read 5510 times)

scottdiver

Alesis RealHead Dual-Zone Pads running mono
« on: December 13, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
Hi,

I recently bought the DM10 Studio kit (among several other items). There is one open input in the back. I understand you can run 1 dual-zone trigger or 2 single-zon triggers. My question is, can you use 2 of the dual-zone triggers in a mono mode (ie, single-zone) and have the triggers work off the head part and not rim? Or will one trigger be from the head and the other trigger from the rim?

I would prefer to use the same type of pads to add on to the kit with.

Thanks.

Scott

Offline Guinness

Re: Alesis RealHead Dual-Zone Pads running mono
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »
Not sure I understand your question, but I think so...

Yes, you can split the inputs (except for the crash w/choke and rides).   A simple TRS to TS Y-cable splitter should do the trick.   Others here have done that.

Or you could purchase a Trigger I|O and have as many as 35 inputs.

scottdiver

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:01:58 AM »
Thanks for the anser. Just to clarify both will trigger from the "head"?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »
yup.   Try it.  Y- adapters are cheap enough.  And  TS cable too.

Or wait for other's to chime in.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »
That will work - the limitation though is you won't be able to hit both pads at exactly the same time and have them both trigger. The dual inputs cancel each other out that way, I think to eliminate head/rim crosstalk. Which it does nicely.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

scottdiver

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot. Guess I was putting too much thought into it.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 05:36:30 PM »
scottdiver, not to hi-jack the thread, but you guys are talking about a problem I'm having. I read the thread and put a y-splitter into my DM10 module input #3 (tom1) and plugged my #1 tom and my #2 tom into that input. The problem I have is now both toms are single zone #1 toms. I can go into edit instrument mode, but when I change the sound of Tom1Hd, it affects both toms as if they were the same. (I have two toms that have the exact same sound, I can't separate the two toms when they are hooked in the splitter.) Maybe I have this hooked up wrong. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. (Again scottdiver, sorry for the hi-jack. Just didn't want to start another thread on the same topic you were discussing.)

Cory

scottdiver

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
Hi Cory,

No problem.

From what I understand, when you do this, it will only be one zone for each tigger because of the Y splitter. One side of the Y would normally be the head of the dual zone pad; and the other would be the rim.

With the holidays, I have not had the chance to test out my new set-up and will probably get to it tomorrow. So, I will see if I run into the same problem.

Scott

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »
Thanks Scott. I thought that's what would happen, but only the one Tom1Hd affects both of my toms. When I try to edit Tom1Rim, it has no affect on the toms, they still carry whatever sound is selected from Tom1Hd. Hope you have better luck.

Cory

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »
scottdiver, not to hi-jack the thread, but you guys are talking about a problem I'm having. I read the thread and put a y-splitter into my DM10 module input #3 (tom1) and plugged my #1 tom and my #2 tom into that input. The problem I have is now both toms are single zone #1 toms. I can go into edit instrument mode, but when I change the sound of Tom1Hd, it affects both toms as if they were the same. (I have two toms that have the exact same sound, I can't separate the two toms when they are hooked in the splitter.) Maybe I have this hooked up wrong. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. (Again scottdiver, sorry for the hi-jack. Just didn't want to start another thread on the same topic you were discussing.)

Cory
You're using the wrong kind of splitter. You are most likely using a stereo 1/4" male to two 1/4" stereo females. That kind of splitter is used to add two sets of headphones to one input. That is not the kind of splitter that is needed to split an input. You need a 1/4" stereo male to two 1/4" mono females. One female should be for the left channel and the other for the right. Sometimes the splitter will be color coded like this:

1/4"" Stereo Phone Plug Splitter Male to 2xFemale 6 inch

Please keep in mind that by doing this you only get two single zone triggers because you are using the rim connection as another separate trigger input. Also, keep in mind that you will never be able to trigger both of these triggers at the same time. That is do to the built in cross talk that alesis uses. That is why alesis modules have really good separation between the head and the rim of a dual zone, because they can not be triggered at the exact same time.

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:12:07 PM by Hellfire »

scottdiver

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »
Geez, I did it the hard way. Bought a 10' cable with a male ends. That's what I get for not looking around the entire store.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:50:33 PM »
I feel your pain Scott. I knew I had to be messing it up somehow. I was trying to use the ones for the headphones. :-[

Cory

scottdiver

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 10:58:46 PM »
I say we blame it on the craziness of the holidays and move on...yep, that's the best couse of action...move along...nothing to see here :)

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it goes ok for me tomorrow as well.

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »
Scott,
    Hellfire was right on the money. Make sure your y-splitter is a stereo male with mono female connectors. I bought one today and it works perfect.

Cory

scottdiver

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 10:41:28 PM »
I should be OK as I actually bought a stereo with 1-male to 2-male ends. They appear to be triggering; but, I have them hooked up to the Trigger I|O and I don't have that set-up right yet.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »
Geez, I did it the hard way. Bought a 10' cable with a male ends. That's what I get for not looking around the entire store.
That's fine as long as you have one male stereo (or TRS for Tip, Ring, Sleeve) end to two male mono (or TS Tip, Sleeve) ends. One male mono should be for the right channel and the other for the left channel. If all three of your 1/4" males are stereo (TRS) it isn't going to work.