Author Topic: Alesis Dual-Zone DMPad Question  (Read 3480 times)

Alesis Dual-Zone DMPad Question
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
I purchased two Alesis 8" Dual-Zone DMPads. I'm confused by the "dual zone" feature.

I'll admit, I purchased online without playing them before hand. So I was surprised that the 2nd zone, the rim, was not the soft rim along the top as pictured ... it's actually the harder edge running beneath the head.

How am I supposed to hit this? It feels very unnatural to hit a *side*-rim. Am I doing something wrong? Does the soft rim not trigger at all? If so, this 2nd zone almost seems useless to me.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Alesis Dual-Zone DMPad Question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
P.S. Meant to mention, that this harder plastic seems like it could crack if played to hard?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »
The "dual" in "dual-zone" is for Choke.   you could have it trigger a voice, but it's intent is for choke.  To trigger a voice, you would grab it like a choke, but set the module up differently.

What module do you have?

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
Ah, that's for explaining the dual zone, Guinness. I am using the Alesis Trigger I/O with Battery 3.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:50:55 PM »
Actually, that's not what dual zone means. Dual zone is not meant to reference the choke ability. On other modules such as Roland modules that choke strip (edge of the cymbal) also functions as a trigger that let's you assign two different sounds to a cymbal - one sound to the bow and one to the edge... AND you get choke on all zones and cymbals! The Alesis has this limitation and I've created a Poll thread addressing it. Please read it and cast your vote as Alesis CAN add this feature with a firmware update:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=538.0

Rev.

Offline Alix-1723

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:32:06 AM »
I'm gonna drop in my two cents: I think what RedStar means is that the Rim trigger isn't triggering when he hits the rim, it's only triggering when he smacks the shell/sides of the pad which isn't too comfortable to play. I suggest modifying the Threshold, Gain and Crosstalk settings for the pad in order to make the rim detect rim hits and not just shell taps.
This is a signature.

Orangeblood

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »
Ya ....you need to play with the settings. I use a dm5 and dual zone pad and it works perfectly for me hitting the rim.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:58:53 PM »
I'm gonna drop in my two cents: I think what RedStar means is that the Rim trigger isn't triggering when he hits the rim, it's only triggering when he smacks the shell/sides of the pad which isn't too comfortable to play. I suggest modifying the Threshold, Gain and Crosstalk settings for the pad in order to make the rim detect rim hits and not just shell taps.

Hey Alix. That's exactly what I'm talking about - only getting a response from the dual zone when the shell/side of the pad.

I'm not grasping the Alesis Trigger I/O settings that well. I tinker with them, but have trouble finding that sweet spot that works for all pads involved. I think I need to spend more time reading this message board to pick up tips from the experienced folks. Thx!

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »
Guiness isn't "wrong" as his statement applies almost directly to most multi-zone trigger cymbals.

However in this case, Alix-1723 hit the nail on the head here :-)
Bobby D.

Alesis

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 01:14:30 AM »
I'd like to help – if the original poster could post a picture of the pads in question, I think it would clarify.

Thanks,
Dan