Author Topic: Dual Zone pads  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Guinness

Dual Zone pads
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
So, when I had my DM5 (for two weeks), I didn't have a ride.  I used the two cymbals as crashes, and since the snare was dual zone, I used it as a snare and ride.

it took a bit to get used to, but it worked.   Then I noticed I beat thru the rubber rim.  Is that common?  Or was it just because I was using the rim as a ride and it took alot of repeative hits and wore out quickly?

Online Hellfire

Re: Dual Zone pads
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
So, when I had my DM5 (for two weeks), I didn't have a ride.  I used the two cymbals as crashes, and since the snare was dual zone, I used it as a snare and ride.

it took a bit to get used to, but it worked.   Then I noticed I beat thru the rubber rim.  Is that common?  Or was it just because I was using the rim as a ride and it took alot of repeative hits and wore out quickly?
Very common. I wore mine out quickly too. The rubber is way too soft. Your best bet is to use a car door "U" shape trim like the ones found here:

http://www.brandsport.com/trimgard1.html

Black or Chrome would look good. Just a thought.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »
Adhesive bead doesn't get messy?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
Adhesive bead doesn't get messy?
I would assume it wouldn't as long as you didn't take it off for some reason. And if you did a little goo gone works great!

Admittedly, this is not my idea and I have not used it myself. This idea is the brain child of  Racer52 over at edrumforum.com.
BTW, you will need to be logged in to see that link at eDf.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8507k65/=5ptia4  mc master carr  .84 centa foot i just bought 40 feet  :) part number 8507K65
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:51 PM »
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8507k65/=5ptia4  mc master carr  .84 centa foot i just bought 40 feet  :) part number 8507K65
Good find WOUND4SOUND.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
Reply back when you get it.  I'm curious how well it fits, and how durable it is.

thanks.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 06:36:49 PM »
it fits perfectly and it holds up well i used a lil double stick tape to seal the ends on the rim but take at look at my kit in diy youll see the edge trim

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 07:08:07 PM »
Looks professional.  :)

How well does it hold up?   Do you have to replace often?

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
its pretty tuff stuff if you dont use it as a ride cymb it should last a long time