Author Topic: trigger corrosion  (Read 1161 times)

Offline AlanK

trigger corrosion
« on: June 26, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »
Hi gang, hope you're all riding this pandemic well.

I inherited a bunch of drum bits from a buddy yesterday, he gave me all his spare cones, new piezos and some mesh heads etc.

I had one of my 682Drums orange cones slip off the piezo the other day, first time after using this conversion kit for probably 7 yrs or so.. I'm pretty impressed as the 682 gear is relatively inexpensive (but I'm not a hard hitter and I don't play every day). Anyhow, I noticed that the piezo was looking a bit rusty, or at least there is some corrosion or buildup of crap started on it.. haven't checked my other pads yet.

Luckily he donated me a few piezos and they look like pretty much the same so I will solder in a replacement this weekend. My question is, has anyone else noticed this with their piezos? I don't think my basement is that moist, but I'm sure it would be the dampest area in the house aside from rooms that have running water. I guess I figured these piezos would stay shiney and new looking as long as they weren't abused or get wet.

Was just curious. Also, we had this discussion on whether or not you could/should flip the cones and have the larger side facing the mesh and the tip of the cone on the piezo.. I had this silly notion that on the larger 12" pads, it might be better triggering if there was more surface area of the cone against the larger head and the energy gets focused down to the smaller tip against the piezo but he said no, has to be tip up, larger bottom down on the piezo to transmit the best.. seems logical but I wanted to get your thoughts.. I'm on a DM10X if that makes any difference, using the 682Drums conversion (remove steel plate, add dense foam circle, cone stuck on with tip slightly higher than rim so mesh head has good amount of pressure.

Be well and happy Friday!
Alan
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline AlanK

Re: trigger corrosion
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:49:07 PM »
No comments? Well in any case, I've reversed all the cones I put in upside down, made some trigger adjustments, all seem to work better except my 8" upper tom makes creaking kinda noises when it bounces on a hard hit.. never did before, I've got threshold down, have to try a few things out .. it didn't do this before I reversed the cone but I do recall having this issue before with it or another pad.. I think my larger 12" floor tom pads were or was the culprit.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline orion32

Re: trigger corrosion
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 09:33:02 AM »
do you get condensations on any of the water pipes in your basement?  most likely it would be during summer months..... if you do then your basement (like most) will have moisture in the air.... for this reason I have a dehumidifier and an a/c for the basement to get all that moisture out
Alesis Strike Pro
A to E converted Zildjian L80 - 14" crash, 16" crash & china