Author Topic: Some More Strike Pro Action!  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Iggford

Some More Strike Pro Action!
« on: September 18, 2019, 12:14:58 AM »
Here's another video of my Strike Pro in action, from a show we did back in August.  It's called the "Breakdown Mashup," one of the signature mashups that we do, our oldest one to be exact. 

Enjoy!!

https://www.facebook.com/DisasterRecoveryBand/videos/495466791001649/

--
Shawn

Offline AlanK

Re: Some More Strike Pro Action!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »
OMG, what an awesome video, Shawn! The sound and quality of the video is incredible, for starters. Your Strike kit is friggin' wicked and so tricked out! And then the mashup.. whoaaaaaaa! BOC? I haven't heard a band do Reaper in ages.. and Fleetwood Mac, that was so cool and unexpected, but having the female voice and her keyboards just makes it so perfect. All Along The Watchtower, one of my favourite songs esp the Hendrix version, we used to do it in our band in the early 80s. And then, Carry On?!?! Are you serious!?! Man, that was a treat, and the fact that you guys came back to it as the ending of the mashup, was just icing on the cake man! I try to play along to Carry On My Wayward Son once in a while.. I can do maybe half of the sections, but some of it is still just way beyond my ability..well, I muddle through but I'd need to practice it every day for weeks to get it down.. but damn it's fun to try for sure :)

Congrats on the performance and keep on rocking, you guys are so great to watch and listen to!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Iggford

Re: Some More Strike Pro Action!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »
Thanks so much, Alan, for the kind words!  I don't know what to say! :)

I think I've finally gotten my kit where I want it in terms of layout.  I tried adding my Gen16 ride to it last weekend, but I just couldn't fall in love with it like I have the hi-hat.  So I think I'm done.  My next step will probably be to switch out the Strike cymbals with something else.  I don't have a ton of money to put into it, but I've been eyeballing the cymbals through Laurin Drums.  They're reasonably priced, and from what I have heard about the drums themselves, the cymbals have got to be great quality. 

This mashup is the very first one we ever did as a band.  I knew I was in the right place when I joined this band, as Reaper is one of my favorite songs!  The mashup itself was a work in progress when I came on in 2015.  It did not originally have Carry On as part of it.  We actually took about 4 months of twice-a-week practice time to somewhat nail that song down in its entirety.  Then, Jim, our bandleader and the main singer on this one, noticed how it kinda fit into the mashup, so we started throwing in the first verse and chorus as a teaser, then back to Breakdown and the end.  Then, near the end of the set, we would launch into the full-on version of Carry On (we'd tag Breakdown AGAIN at the end of Carry On just for laughs).  They always had some issues with the vocal intro to the song, so for a while, we turned this mashup into a total beast by just launching into the full version of Carry On from here.  Eventually, we dropped the full song to make room for some new material, and just kept the verse/chorus tag in the mashup.  This was actually the second time we've done the Carry On ending like we did.  To "freshen" the mashup a bit, we added the second verse and chorus back in as a way to be able to do that signature guitar riff from the song.  Then our lead guitarist had the idea of throwing that last section in as one of those "you thought we were done, but we're not" moments! :)

Rhiannon was expanded for this one, too.  We used to switch out before it goes into that chorus, but we tried it out and thought it added enough variety in and sounded good.  She always does a great job with that song.  It's actually part of two mashups that we do.  Our closing number is actually the full version of Rhiannon, but at the end, where the recording normally fades out, Julia will start singing the first verse and chorus of the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want."  When it breaks after that first chorus, we change over to the full-on Stones song and Jim takes over.  Julia comes back in toward the end of that one with Aretha Franklin's "Respect" and then we kinda just jam a bit to end the night.  I started changing the groove under it all a while back, to switch it over to a more driving beat, then, to mess with all the people dancing, I start speeding it up gradually.  It's a fun ending and it gets people moving a lot more than they expected to. 

I'm trying to comb through some material from the last several shows to get a good usable version of that Mac/Stones mashup to mix down and put online, but I've had so much going on lately that I haven't had a whole lot of time.  I've got a couple more from this gig going up over the next week or so, though, so I'll share those as soon as they're done!

All in all, we just try to have fun and give the crowd what we think they want.  Five years ago, I'd have called someone crazy if they told me I'd be doing this.  We are just a local cover band, mostly.  We have an album of original material under our belt, and another one planned, but just to be a part of something is an experience I wouldn't trade for anything else. 

Thanks again for all the kind words!!

--
Shawn