Author Topic: Crimson II - Problems with Hi Hat Midi  (Read 3352 times)

Crimson II - Problems with Hi Hat Midi
« on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:30 PM »
Hi all. First time posting here. If this has been answered directly, I apologize, however I have spent MONTHS trying to find the answer. I will be forever in debt to anyone that can help me with this.

I have the Crimson II kit that I got late last year. I have worked through all of the issues and pilot error since then except an issue regarding the hi hat. I use the kit through EZDrummer 2 and I also have GGD Matt Halpern as well. I have not been able to get the hi hat to function like a hi hat should in either program. I can not get the foot switch to operate the open and closed sounds for the hi hat. Does anyone have this kit set up and working through EZDrummer or GGD correctly?

Some itemized questions/information:

1) I know that in the Crimson II the hi hat midi number for open and closed is the same, which makes no sense to me as to why they did that. If anyone has the same set up I would love to know what numbers you have set in the kit going to EZDrummer. Or is this is a fundamental issue with this kit that "breaks" the hi hat?
2) In EZDrummer you can not change the midi numbers so you have to change it in the kit. I have been able to program all of the drums correctly besides the Hi Hat.
3) In GGD there is a function for the program to learn the hi hat. I have seen a video on how to do this however when I try to get the program to learn it, nothing happens.

I am at a complete loss and have spent many hours banging my head against the wall with this and in all of my searches can not find the answer. It doesn't help that it seems all of Alesis' forums are shut down. I have started to have the feeling that this issue may not be solvable, or only solvable through a firmware update. Maybe the open and closed messages being sent in the same MIDI number doesn't translate to these programs?

Can anyone help me???

Re: Crimson II - Problems with Hi Hat Midi
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 02:48:15 PM »
Same issue here with the DM10 MKII module (same module, just different name).

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 01:24:59 PM »
Hi all. First time posting here. If this has been answered directly, I apologize, however I have spent MONTHS trying to find the answer. I will be forever in debt to anyone that can help me with this.

I have the Crimson II kit that I got late last year. I have worked through all of the issues and pilot error since then except an issue regarding the hi hat. I use the kit through EZDrummer 2 and I also have GGD Matt Halpern as well. I have not been able to get the hi hat to function like a hi hat should in either program. I can not get the foot switch to operate the open and closed sounds for the hi hat. Does anyone have this kit set up and working through EZDrummer or GGD correctly?

Some itemized questions/information:

1) I know that in the Crimson II the hi hat midi number for open and closed is the same, which makes no sense to me as to why they did that. If anyone has the same set up I would love to know what numbers you have set in the kit going to EZDrummer. Or is this is a fundamental issue with this kit that "breaks" the hi hat?
2) In EZDrummer you can not change the midi numbers so you have to change it in the kit. I have been able to program all of the drums correctly besides the Hi Hat.
3) In GGD there is a function for the program to learn the hi hat. I have seen a video on how to do this however when I try to get the program to learn it, nothing happens.

I am at a complete loss and have spent many hours banging my head against the wall with this and in all of my searches can not find the answer. It doesn't help that it seems all of Alesis' forums are shut down. I have started to have the feeling that this issue may not be solvable, or only solvable through a firmware update. Maybe the open and closed messages being sent in the same MIDI number doesn't translate to these programs?

Can anyone help me???

I asked when these modules were first released and have never received an answer from Alesis as to why open/closed are tied to one note and why just these 2 modules out of all the DD650 Rebrands.
Originally I thought it may have to do with FSR option but only the Crimson II has it not the DM10 MKII Studio.
The crash cymbals are also assigned to one note...I presume you have been able to change those and they aren't tied.

The 2 modules are for the most part the same including the MIDI mapping except the Crimson II has the Pro-X (FSR) option in the menu.
Crimson II: Which Hi Hat are you using Realhat (linear pot) or Pro-X (FSR)?

as far as the software goes...

Which OS?...MacOS.. Win ?...using as plugin or standalone..?
If plugin which DAW/Host?

EZD2..which Library/Libraries ?..
I presume for eDrum map you selected the "none" option
Right click on the Hi Hat image in the kit loaded..
Click on details...you'll see all the articulations with mapping for the Hi Hat.
Are you seeing articulation and CC4 activity?
You should see incoming MIDI at the bottom..note and CC4
They should be highlighted as you play the HiHat.
You will not be able to get all of those articulations in the standalone since the Hi Hat doesn't send all those notes and a lot of those are for Roland.
EZD2 MIDI maps are all "FIXED" and in many cases vary.
I noticed some expansions have 8 assigned to "Tip" and others have 19,20 etc..you should see activity between CC4.."Tip".. and pedal closed note.
if you are using EZD2 as a plugin depending on the DAW some have the ability to edit the CC4 coming in and assign notes to the pedal position.

I replicated the MIDI mapping and set all to 8 and I get "Tip" and pedal closed articulation and CC4 range from open to close.
I could not get the Realhat to splash (open pedal)..I will need to spend more time on it.
To adjust for the Realhat pedal go into the eDrum settings and under pedal correction try different settings..more open..more closed etc.
a lot will depend on how you play and how much pressure you keep on the Realhat pedal..

GGD...Kontakt Player or Full Version ?....Version 5,6..?
Which Library/Libraries ?
(GGD Invasion is the latest Library and has custom CC4 learning/mapping.
Signature..Modern and Massive libraries do not have this option.)
CC4 support must be scripted into the Instrument.

I am current with Toontrack,GGD and NI Kontakt.
I use SD3 for the EZX Expansions because of the additional editing options but also have EZD2
There was a software solution/workaround years ago for modules/software that had "Fixed MIDI" mapping.
I can replicate all the MIDI mapping and see if it will work to get more articulations,but I need to know a few things.

Which Expansions so I can build build accurate maps.

Choke note # sent from the module.(crash,ride)

I still have an original Crimson module and it sends a choke note and aftertouch(key) but the note(s) may be different.

EDIT:
I was not successful at this time with the software workaround.I need to spend more time with it.
I could build maps for expansions and load (instead of remapping the module every time )
Drums and Cymbals worked well....The CC4 to note adjustments  were for internal. I could not output CC4.

The software would work well with a Hi Hat/module that outputs many MIDI notes..not a single note/CC4 Hi Hat..
image attached
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:46:38 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
I've managed to get everything working correctly in Addictive Drums 2. Took me a long time and lots of investigating too to figure it out. The fix was actually quite simple in my case, I just had to define the cymbal pedal as CC and on the right midi note, and define de hi hat closed midi note as well and that was it!