Author Topic: Does Size Really Matter?  (Read 2844 times)

Does Size Really Matter?
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:02:17 AM »
Hello, lady and gentlemen of the forum. Long time no say stuff.
Oh... Yeah. Before I say anything else (with exception to the words I'm using right now as some kind of pre-text to what it is I actually wanna say) I must raise the goblet to the life of Ronny D. That man could wail. One of the greatest and most powerful voices I have ever heard in my friggen life. And the funny thing is... The dude was like.. Four feet tall. 60 pounds soaking wet! I mean... The last time I saw him, it was here in Dallas at some place that means nothing to yall by name so I'm not gonna waste my and your time telling you the name of the venue because, by now, it probably already changed names twice (or, as we say in Texas, "Twiced") since I started typing this damn thing. But I digest.
Yeah. I was leaning against the stage watching the show, and man... we were eye to eye. I swear. Eye to eye. Him: On stage. Me on floor. Eye to eye. Actually made me jones for some Pecan Sandies. Little bitty guy. And he sang with so much power. Sounded exactly as he did in the eighties, man. Beautiful.
You know... If you look at his drivers license photo... You can see his feet.
But he packed some awesome power. RIP Mr. Dio. You will be missed.
But anyway, yeah. Drums.
Question:
I was thinking of purchasing a certain thing from a certain web site that, uhh... Yeah.
Do all name-brand drum racks share the same diameter pipe? Part of my rack is and inch and a half in diameter. The things that hold the drums and everything to the pipes is not forgiving in the least. It's made to clamp on pipe thats 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Not 1 5/8 inches. Not even 1 15/32ths. I mean... One inch and one friggen half. No mo. No less.
Is that the norm?
I'm looking at buying a Yamaha DTExpress drum rack. I can't find the pipe diameter anywhere. And since you guys collectively know everything, do you know if 1 1/2 inch pipe is an industry standard?
Hopefully I'm not too late. But even if I do miss the sale, it's still something I've always (well, not ALWAYS) wondered.
Thank you.
When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

Offline DeeDubs

Re: Does Size Really Matter?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »
I just choked on my coffee and nearly electrocuted myself.. Thanks..

regarding your question, I know Gibraltar uses the same diameter pipe, but I'm not sure about Yamaha.

According to Google (a.k.a the hive mind), Yamaha racks use 1 1/4" tubing whereas Gibraltar uses 1 1/2"
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »
I just choked on my coffee and nearly electrocuted myself.. Thanks..

regarding your question, I know Gibraltar uses the same diameter pipe, but I'm not sure about Yamaha.

According to Google (a.k.a the hive mind), Yamaha racks use 1 1/4" tubing whereas Gibraltar uses 1 1/2"
I'm not 100% sure either. The only info I have is what DeeDubs just stated above.

I know there are a lot of Yamaha users over at edrumforum.com. Maybe someone over there can help you with that question.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »
Anubis!  Welcome back.  Your writing stylings have been missed.  Don't be such a stranger!  :D    And.. yes RIP Mr. RJ Dio.

I will never forget seeing him for the first time... in a video...  Which was it?  Rainbow in the dark?  When he's up on the roof.  Strange little fellow, but damn he could he rock!

I don't know the answer either....  google.  or edrumforums.  as stated above

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
Anubis,

Your ancient Egyptian mythological humor cracks me up, dude.  You should write Alesis's user manuals.

Jer
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories