Author Topic: SamplePad Pro  (Read 648 times)

Offline Iggford

SamplePad Pro
« on: December 22, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
Ok, so I have taken an unexpected direction in the last couple of weeks.  My band was playing a show over the weekend, and it was a shared stage/drum kit situation.  We had worked out a deal to get the acoustic set off and my Strike on stage for our part.  We were the headlining band, so we had the last time slot. 

As what I thought was kind of a short-sighted move at the time, I got a good deal on a SamplePad Pro, and transferred all my "electronic" sounds and effects to it from my Strike.  It allowed me to use the shared kit on Saturday, and everything worked pretty well for the most part. 

In the middle of all of this, my wife surprised me with a brand new Tama Superstar Classic acoustic kit.  I've now decided to use it for playing out, along with the SamplePad, and leave my Strike set up for practice at home. 

The problem with this is that, with the SamplePad, there were certain songs we have where it was a bit hard to get to the pad in time, as I had it set up to the left of the hi-hat.  I like this position for it, and it did work for most of what we were playing.  I thought about using a couple of my electronic pads for some placement near my snare, but I've also been looking at the Roland BT-1 bar triggers.  I really like the fact that they just attach to the side of the snare and kind of "hug" the rim, and I think this would work much better for me.

Has anyone by chance used these with the SamplePad Pro?  Is there any reason why they shouldn't work?  I don't want to invest in two of them just to find out they're not compatible. 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Chaser

Re: SamplePad Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 05:26:40 PM »
The BT-1 was designed for Roland modules.I don't think you are going to have much luck using it with the SamplePad Pro.
It is single zone...Piezo/Switch (cymbal) that uses a TRS input.
The SamplePad Pro External inputs... Kick,Hihat,Foot switch and Pad2 are all TS...only Pad 1 is TRS and I seen no mention of the ability to switch Trigger Types in the User Guide.
Years ago Hellfire designed something similar HF-1 Zero XTalk Bar Trigger (DIY) for Alesis modules.
other options would the cymbal stand mounted types like the Pintech Nimrod etc..Pintech has a few different bar triggers..some are on sale at Amazon for 1/2 the price BT-1..as always with Amazon check feedback as sometimes the image isn't the same product you receive.
You just missed a blow out for the Pintech NR6-B

Offline Iggford

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 10:33:17 AM »
I was kind of afraid it was going to be an issue. 

There is a switch on the back of the unit for one or two of the inputs, but I haven't had a chance to dig too far into it.  I thought about taking the unit around to some local places to see if they would be willing to let me test it, but again, time has escaped me coming up on the holidays. 

I do like the price of the Pintech triggers a lot more, I just like the placement options of the BT-1 more.  But, if I have to go a different route, it is what it is.  I haven't set the new kit up yet, so I haven't been able to get a comfortable setup, so I still feel like I've got some flexibility.

I'll report back once I settle on an option!

Thanks for the input!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »
I was kind of afraid it was going to be an issue. 

There is a switch on the back of the unit for one or two of the inputs, but I haven't had a chance to dig too far into it.  I thought about taking the unit around to some local places to see if they would be willing to let me test it, but again, time has escaped me coming up on the holidays. 

I do like the price of the Pintech triggers a lot more, I just like the placement options of the BT-1 more.  But, if I have to go a different route, it is what it is.  I haven't set the new kit up yet, so I haven't been able to get a comfortable setup, so I still feel like I've got some flexibility.

I'll report back once I settle on an option!

Thanks for the input!

The switches in the back are for the Kick (switch type pedal or piezo pad)..the Hi Hat (variable or on/off-open closed).
The BT-1 Piezo/Switch/TRS is a combination where the switch reads velocity off the piezo..in an Alesis module it might just fire at full signal/velocity but needing the whole TRS input.
You could re-wire it to match Hellfire's schematic..I have never had one or taken one apart so I couldn't tell you if you could simply add resistors and use the existing jack or if it would be easier to change to a TS jack...either way after re-wiring you could then use a splitter and only use one input for (2) BT-1's..
You are a performing musician so it may be worth the $200 cost and extra parts/labor for the added comfort/ease of use..just write it off..

Offline Iggford

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »
Great points!  I do want something I can be comfortable with for a while rather than switching out and compromising. 

If it were a case of firing off at full velocity, that wouldn't be a problem for me, as the samples I would typically assign to the are going to be one-shot samples that I would want playing at a consistent level anyway. 

I've taken a glance at the schematic by Hellfire, and it makes sense to me.  Even if some rewiring is needed, it may well be worth doing.  I think I'll expand my local search to see if anyone is letting go of a used trigger.  Then, I wouldn't feel quite as bad if I messed something up!! :)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 01:06:26 PM »
Great points!  I do want something I can be comfortable with for a while rather than switching out and compromising. 

If it were a case of firing off at full velocity, that wouldn't be a problem for me, as the samples I would typically assign to the are going to be one-shot samples that I would want playing at a consistent level anyway. 

I've taken a glance at the schematic by Hellfire, and it makes sense to me.  Even if some rewiring is needed, it may well be worth doing.  I think I'll expand my local search to see if anyone is letting go of a used trigger.  Then, I wouldn't feel quite as bad if I messed something up!! :)

I don't know where you are located but there is a used one (looks to be still in wrapping) at the Guitar Center/Detroit for $49.99..and one at Guitar Center Nashville for 59.99 ...I would make sure all accessories/mounts are included..
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:25:21 PM by Chaser »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 04:22:53 PM »

If you do decide to rewire a BT-1, please share what you did in the DIY section (if it works of course). Heck, even if it doesn't work. I might have to make a HF-1 after the holidays. It's been a long time for that project. I almost forgot about it. Thanks Chaser!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 08:45:53 PM »

If you do decide to rewire a BT-1, please share what you did in the DIY section (if it works of course). Heck, even if it doesn't work. I might have to make a HF-1 after the holidays. It's been a long time for that project. I almost forgot about it. Thanks Chaser!

A lot of these "old projects" are still relevant today...
I remember seeing THE E-RIMRISER at NAMM 2012..a year before the BT-1...for the most part it didn't take off....looks a little too "DIY" for $59.99...there has to be crosstalk/triggering problems.. etc.
You can buy just the RIMRISER now ($19.99) and there is a wood version ($49.99)..
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:36:58 PM by Chaser »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 01:47:52 PM »
Ok, wanted to post an update to this thread since I've got some new info.

After going back and forth on picking up a BT-1 to try with my SamplePad Pro, I found a local shop that was willing to let me try two out with the understanding that I could return them if they didn't work.  I actually had talked myself into trying the rewiring method.  That's how important THAT particular trigger has become in my planned setup.  So I figured I'd keep them either way.  Plus, I got them for $100 apiece, which came in quite a bit lower than other places I'd seen them.

So, I took them home and got them connected to my SamplePad.  Just holding it in my hand, I hit the trigger.  The SamplePad recognized the hit!  So I was very pleasantly surprised.  Tried both triggers connected to the Pad 1 and Pad 2 inputs.  Both seemed to work in testing.

We had our first band practice with my new kit on Sunday, and I took the triggers with me and connected them to my snare.  One 3-hour session with them, and they worked like a dream!! 

Now, I just need to find that perfect balance of sample size so that everything loads in a bit quicker.  Some of my programs take a while to load, which could pose an issue on stage.  I'm thinking I have the sampling rate a bit too high.  A few tweaks, and hopefully I'll be good to go!

I just wanted to post the update in case there's a chance someone else had a need or desire to take this route.  Ultimately, I would have loved to have a Strike Multipad, but for what I'm doing with it, I really couldn't justify double the cost, especially with some of the other expenses I had just to get the new kit stage ready.  Maybe down the road a bit!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 10:59:42 AM »
Ok, wanted to post an update to this thread since I've got some new info.

After going back and forth on picking up a BT-1 to try with my SamplePad Pro, I found a local shop that was willing to let me try two out with the understanding that I could return them if they didn't work.  I actually had talked myself into trying the rewiring method.  That's how important THAT particular trigger has become in my planned setup.  So I figured I'd keep them either way.  Plus, I got them for $100 apiece, which came in quite a bit lower than other places I'd seen them.

So, I took them home and got them connected to my SamplePad.  Just holding it in my hand, I hit the trigger.  The SamplePad recognized the hit!  So I was very pleasantly surprised.  Tried both triggers connected to the Pad 1 and Pad 2 inputs.  Both seemed to work in testing.

We had our first band practice with my new kit on Sunday, and I took the triggers with me and connected them to my snare.  One 3-hour session with them, and they worked like a dream!! 

Now, I just need to find that perfect balance of sample size so that everything loads in a bit quicker.  Some of my programs take a while to load, which could pose an issue on stage.  I'm thinking I have the sampling rate a bit too high.  A few tweaks, and hopefully I'll be good to go!

I just wanted to post the update in case there's a chance someone else had a need or desire to take this route.  Ultimately, I would have loved to have a Strike Multipad, but for what I'm doing with it, I really couldn't justify double the cost, especially with some of the other expenses I had just to get the new kit stage ready.  Maybe down the road a bit!

There are 2 Modes for the BT-1..Switch and Sensor.
The difference is Switch Mode = the Switch works at velocity levels above 65 or so..Sensor Mode = full velocity range 0-127.
In Switch Mode striking the BT-1 might trigger the Rim (Piezo) on the snare...Sensor Mode..striking the Rim on the snare might trigger the BT-1
I presume the BT-1 is working or acting like it is in in switch mode..no velocity range ?
Have you noticed..or does it seem to work in Sensor Mode ?...Does the BT-1 register in the Sample Pad pro as Head..Rim..both?
I don't believe the SamplePad can change Trigger Types , so was wondering how it registers.The STRIKE/Original DM10 Module you can .
Hellfire's wiring was for problems (if any) or to get it to work in the Sensor Mode..

The Roland BT-1 functions differently on various Roland Modules..it looks like Head Trigger Only for the Multipads

* The BT-1 will operate only as the head trigger.
Octapad SPD-30,SPD-SX,TD-15, TD-11,TD-30

* The BT-1 will operate as the rim trigger of the pad
TD-20X, TD-20, TDW-20, TD-12

EDIT:
Added BT-1 Owners Manual
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:57:06 AM by Chaser »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 01:41:15 PM »
There are 2 Modes for the BT-1..Switch and Sensor.
The difference is Switch Mode = the Switch works at velocity levels above 65 or so..Sensor Mode = full velocity range 0-127.
In Switch Mode striking the BT-1 might trigger the Rim (Piezo) on the snare...Sensor Mode..striking the Rim on the snare might trigger the BT-1
I presume the BT-1 is working or acting like it is in in switch mode..no velocity range ?
Have you noticed..or does it seem to work in Sensor Mode ?...Does the BT-1 register in the Sample Pad pro as Head..Rim..both?
I don't believe the SamplePad can change Trigger Types , so was wondering how it registers.The STRIKE/Original DM10 Module you can .
Hellfire's wiring was for problems (if any) or to get it to work in the Sensor Mode..

The Roland BT-1 functions differently on various Roland Modules..it looks like Head Trigger Only for the Multipads

* The BT-1 will operate only as the head trigger.
Octapad SPD-30,SPD-SX,TD-15, TD-11,TD-30

* The BT-1 will operate as the rim trigger of the pad
TD-20X, TD-20, TDW-20, TD-12

EDIT:
Added BT-1 Owners Manual

I'll mess around with it this weekend and see what I can get it to do.  I have my SamplePad at home for some sound tweaks, but the BT-1s are still connected to my snare at our practice room.  From looking at the manual, it looks like one of the EXT inputs is single-zone and the other is dual-zone.  I had considered splitting the dual-zone because I bought a Pintech trigger to attach to my snare head so that I can layer an electronic sound over the acoustic snare for certain songs.  Right now, I just have that connected to the kick input since I'm not using an electronic kick.

I'll test it with one of my Strike pads at home to see how it triggers, and then when we practice on Sunday, I'll compare that to the readings I get from the BT-1s.  I'll try it with the switch in both positions, just to see what happens.

I'll report back with my findings! :)