Author Topic: What brands work with Alesis?  (Read 6605 times)

What brands work with Alesis?
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:24:53 AM »
im looking at buying some add ons for my dm10 pro but i dont know what all works with the dm10 module. i know roland works, but does yamaha work with dm10 as well?
DM10 Pro kit, Mesh Heads, Quad Kicks, Dampened Rack, Extra Roland Crashes.

Offline Sharkuel

Re: What brands work with Alesis?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 04:20:57 AM »
Yamaha is like Macintosh of the drumworld: it is a closed circle.

90% of yamaha hardware is great, and suprisingly cheap (check they're cymbal pads, for example, and compare prices with Rolland's), but it has one major setback, they only work with yamaha modules. They have a unique transistor system that makes they're hardware exclusive to they're own modules, because they have triple zone pads with only one wire. Wicked, i know... 

Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline wildbill

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Yamaha single zone pads and cymbals, like TP65 and PCY65 should work with no problems.  Same with kick pads, like KP65.
Pads and cymbals with more than one zone, might only have one zone that will work.  Most hi-hat controllers are specific to brand.
Same goes for mixing between most Roland and Yamaha stuff.

Some Roland stuff requires special cables with built in resistors in order to merge 2 single zone pads, like PD6's, into one dual zone input, on their own modules. (pretty sure - only know about the spd-30 for sure, but the others probably work the same).
To do that with Yamaha, you can use standard insert cables.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:18:20 PM by wildbill »

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »
Good to know, thanks guys! I'm lookin into another kick pad but dont care to buy brand new [as money is a factor] so i'll settle for pretty much anything i can get cheap off ebay, as long as it'll work with the dm10 module! And from what i've gathered, since all [?] kicks are single zone pads i should be ok to look at yamaha kicks too! whoch is awesome cause like sharkuel said, their prices are pretty decent!  :)
Thanks again for the tips guys!
DM10 Pro kit, Mesh Heads, Quad Kicks, Dampened Rack, Extra Roland Crashes.

Offline wildbill

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
The Yamaha kick pad has a stereo fitting on the module end.  You can hook an extra pad or cymbal into the kick pedal itself, and it will be recognized.

I can only say that I've tried it with my Yam. M12, and Roland spd-30, and it worked with both.  I also made a DIY kick pad with a mono fitting, and that also worked with both.

I don't have any Alesis drum stuff, so I can't say for sure what works with that.