Author Topic: Mesh Head Mod-DON'T PLace the WHITE foam on top  (Read 4005 times)

Offline einarabelc5

Mesh Head Mod-DON'T PLace the WHITE foam on top
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »
For All DM10 2011 model drummers out there who are going to do the mod or have done so.

Make sure to place the black foam on top like Hellfire says otherwise you might find you'll open a hole on the white foam from hitting the snare hard.
Even if the black foam has a hole place it on top.

Question:

Hellfire: Can you give the details on the type/model of the black foam. I'd like to find a pad of the same thickness to replace the white one.

Or you can just give a good example of a Thick foam (as thick as the white one) to put at the bottom.

Hell, I just think I'll go to 6828 drums and get some cones and do the cone mode.

The drum is fine, I just have pieces of white foam all over my hi-hat, 1st crash and tom1.

Online Hellfire

Re: Mesh Head Mod-DON'T PLace the WHITE foam on top
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:44:26 PM »
For All DM10 2011 model drummers out there who are going to do the mod or have done so.

Make sure to place the black foam on top like Hellfire says otherwise you might find you'll open a hole on the white foam from hitting the snare hard.

Question:

Hellfire: Can you give the details on the type/model of the black foam. I'd like to find a pad of the same thickness to replace the white one.

Or you can just give a good example of a Thick foam (as thick as the white one) to put at the bottom.

Hell, I just think I'll go to 6828 drums and get some cones and do the cone mode.

The drum is fine, I just have pieces of white foam all over my hi-hat, 1st crash and tom1.
I'm sorry to hear this. I was concerned when I started hearing users put the white foam on top. The white is a low density foam, that is why I asked people to put the black (higher density) foam on top. White foam can normally be found at craft/fabric store. If you need to replace the black foam, you can use high density foam from most craft/fabric stores. The high density that you would get from these store will have a greenish/blueish look to it. I hope the helps.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Thank You!!! And also thank you for your concern.

It's not affecting the sound so far and to be honest it wouldn't make a difference what I had used on the first place since the black foam already has a hole in the middle and was the main reason why I switched it for the white one.

More so, I think it feels more realistic to leave the mesh floating with nothing underneath. That's why I'm considering the cone mod. I want to learn to play drums appropriately first and foremost not to become an electronic kit hacker. That could be a side effect though.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »

Question:

I'm sorry to hear this. I was concerned when I started hearing users put the white foam on top. The white is a low density foam, that is why I asked people to put the black (higher density) foam on top. White foam can normally be found at craft/fabric store. If you need to replace the black foam, you can use high density foam from most craft/fabric stores. The high density that you would get from these store will have a greenish/blueish look to it. I hope the helps.

Can you provide more specificity, Ideally a link. All that I can find are rollers and none on 10". To be honest to do the mod finding the thin foam to elevate the trigger was not as simple as stated. I suspect it would be easier if you provided examples.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »

Question:

Can you provide more specificity, Ideally a link. All that I can find are rollers and none on 10". To be honest to do the mod finding the thin foam to elevate the trigger was not as simple as stated. I suspect it would be easier if you provided examples.
What you are looking for is called open cell foam.

Low density Poly Foam

High density (lux) Foam - good replacement for the black foam inside the trigger pads.

and for the thin foam from my conversion, it is EVA foam. The brand name that I used was call Funky Foam which I got at a store called Hobby Lobby. It comes in 2mm and 3mm thickness. The link is to the 2mm. I hope that helps.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »

Question:

What you are looking for is called open cell foam.

Low density Poly Foam

High density (lux) Foam - good replacement for the black foam inside the trigger pads.

and for the thin foam from my conversion, it is EVA foam. The brand name that I used was call Funky Foam which I got at a store called Hobby Lobby. It comes in 2mm and 3mm thickness. The link is to the 2mm. I hope that helps.

Yes it does. THANk YOU AGAIN!!

I think you mean Evlon?

See here, this is useful for anyone with the same question too:

http://www.foamonline.com/types.php?cartID=
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:33:18 PM by einarabelc5 »