Author Topic: Video of the mesh head sound UNDER normal playing  (Read 3687 times)

Offline einarabelc5

Video of the mesh head sound UNDER normal playing
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:58:22 PM »
Hi,

I have the Dm10 kit.

thanks to Hellfire for posting the mods.
So far Ive found that if you want a good mod you'll need either the Roland or the hart dynamics mesh heads. That'll set me for around 200 USD for the Studio Prokit (5 8" and 1 10")
What I haven't figured out is How do these mod sounds when played under normal conditions. All that I've found on youtube is people exaggerating their strokes and making the loudest sound possible to "demostrate" how the mod works. No video of actual playing with the acustic sound of the mesh conversion found yet.

I want to know two things before I take the plunge and void my warranty on my 600 USD toms, bass and snare kit:

1.-How the sound compares under normal playing situations to the stock heads. If possible with a reference volume on the recording like a stick click.

2.-Ideally how the sound compares to a Roland Mesh head in their top of the line pads if possible.

Thanks in advance!!!

Online Sharkuel

Re: Video of the mesh head sound UNDER normal playing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:46:29 AM »
Let me just say that after the mod, the loudest pieces on the drums are the cymbal drums.

I have a diferent layout (i call it the "donut"), my pads are hollow in the middle, and they only give away that "metalic" sound that is usual of the mesh. But Hellfire mod is great also, principally for the beginner/amateur e-drummer.
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
I don't have Alesis pads, but I have similar reflection-plate style drums. I got them in 1995, they came with typical black mylar heads, and I wasn't aware for the longest time that putting mesh heads on them was an option. After reading about it, I tried out a Pearl mesh head (cheap) and it worked. The difference in ambient noise (stick noise in the room) was so huge that I ended up upgrading the whole kit, and now I play them a lot. The stick noise was always an annoying issue with mylar ("real") heads. Now I have Hart mesh heads (Maxxum on snare, Magnums on toms) and they are great.

I doubt you'll be disappointed going from mylar to any brand of mesh. Just about everyone who makes the switch is thrilled.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:10:55 PM »
I don't have Alesis pads, but I have similar reflection-plate style drums. I got them in 1995, they came with typical black mylar heads, and I wasn't aware for the longest time that putting mesh heads on them was an option. After reading about it, I tried out a Pearl mesh head (cheap) and it worked. The difference in ambient noise (stick noise in the room) was so huge that I ended up upgrading the whole kit, and now I play them a lot. The stick noise was always an annoying issue with mylar ("real") heads. Now I have Hart mesh heads (Maxxum on snare, Magnums on toms) and they are great.

I doubt you'll be disappointed going from mylar to any brand of mesh. Just about everyone who makes the switch is thrilled.

Nice!!

Did you mod the cymbals by moving the reflection plate as well?

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
Let me just say that after the mod, the loudest pieces on the drums are the cymbal drums.

I have a diferent layout (i call it the "donut"), my pads are hollow in the middle, and they only give away that "metalic" sound that is usual of the mesh. But Hellfire mod is great also, principally for the beginner/amateur e-drummer.

That's a good comparison, Thank you!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
But Hellfire mod is great also, principally for the beginner/amateur e-drummer.
I would like to think it is good for all edrummers, and not just beginner/amateur edrummers. ;)

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »

Hmmmmm I thought HF's mod was the one with the hole in the middle... at least that's the one I did...  Works great, less filling.  ;)
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »
Ok guys,

I took the plunge and ordered Roland heads.

219 USD.

Time to bring back the soldering experience.

Let me know if I have everything I need on this list to do the mod.

Soldering Iron. What Power do you think suffices?
Rosin Core Solder
Third Hand
1/2 Inch thick rubber. Could I use sound percussion muting pads for it ( I have a 10" pad that could be used on the snare)
Glue Bar.
Glue Pistol.

Thank You.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 04:15:14 PM »

Nice!!

No - actually I had older style single zone cymbal pads, and replaced them with the Alesis DMpad cymbals which are great.

Here's my kit pics thread:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=668.0

Good luck with your mesh! I have no doubt you'll love the upgrade.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »

Nice!!

No - actually I had older style single zone cymbal pads, and replaced them with the Alesis DMpad cymbals which are great.

Here's my kit pics thread:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=668.0

Good luck with your mesh! I have no doubt you'll love the upgrade.

Do you mean toms?