Author Topic: Alesis RealHat  (Read 3453 times)

Offline wildbill

Alesis RealHat
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:07:40 AM »
Anyone know how Alesis achieves continuous control on the RealHat?

I got a refurbished Roland FD8 hit hat continuous controller today, got it home, tried it out, and could barely get it to work.
I figured it was a returned, used unit, that was supposed to have been fixed, so I didn't think it would matter too much if I took it apart.

After getting it separated, it looks like an fsr strip that gets pressed by a curved piece of rubber to vary the pressure.  The rubber had shifted from directly under the metal tab attached to the foot piece to press it down.
Straightened it out, put it back together, and it works like a champ now.

Anyways, I was wondering if this is also how the Alesis RealHat works.

I'm thinking of maybe trying to DIY one from a pedal.

Offline Ennuk3

Re: Alesis RealHat
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »
When the rubber doo-hicky presses on the FSR strip, the resistance either drops or rises, don't remember, that's how.

Offline wildbill

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:19:07 AM »
When the rubber doo-hicky presses on the FSR strip, the resistance either drops or rises, don't remember, that's how.

Is that how the RealHat works too?  Do you have one?

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »
Yes, I have one, and yes, that's how it works. For further detail ask Hellfire.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:23:34 PM »
Anyone know how Alesis achieves continuous control on the RealHat?

I got a refurbished Roland FD8 hit hat continuous controller today, got it home, tried it out, and could barely get it to work.
I figured it was a returned, used unit, that was supposed to have been fixed, so I didn't think it would matter too much if I took it apart.

After getting it separated, it looks like an fsr strip that gets pressed by a curved piece of rubber to vary the pressure.  The rubber had shifted from directly under the metal tab attached to the foot piece to press it down.
Straightened it out, put it back together, and it works like a champ now.

Anyways, I was wondering if this is also how the Alesis RealHat works.

I'm thinking of maybe trying to DIY one from a pedal.
Yes, that is how an Alesis RealHat works. As a matter of fact you should be able to use a Roland FD-7 or FD-8 on the DM10 as well. Please be sure to calibrate the pedal before using. The way to do this is in the manual. The resistance values are a little different between the Alesis and the Rolands and the Roland will not work right until you do the calibration. If it still doesn't work after the calibration, it is most likely a bad pedal. I hope that helps.