Author Topic: surge cymbals  (Read 3251 times)

surge cymbals
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:17:35 AM »
hi there ive brought surge cymbals for my alesis dm10 studio kit and on the ride cymbal underneth where u plug it in theres no numbers and on my wires i have ride 1 and ride 2 but i dunno witch wires go where can anyone help thanks

Offline Jermdog

Re: surge cymbals
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »
I believe that if the bottom of the cymbal is facing up, the right jack should be Ride1 and the left jack should be Ride2/Perc1.  It won't hurt anything if you connect it backwards.

Set the Ride to a 3 zone ride on the module.  Make sure you have a Ride cymbal selected for the Ride input.  Strike the bow and grab the choke.  If the cymbal chokes, then it's connected correctly.  Also, try striking the bell.  If the bell does not give you the "true" bell sound, go to your trigger settings for the ride and check to make sure the bell is set to piezo, instead of switch (common problem... studios are switch, surge are piezo).
Strike Pro, Dm10, Zildjian Gen 16 hats, xhats and garbage cymbals, Kit Toys chinas, crash and splashes, jam dock, mixer, custom 13" tom, alesis, drum workshop and various hardware.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
thaks for the reply i have them all working now thanks a lot cheers

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:12:44 AM »
If my smartrigger 3 zone ride can not be chocked..what would be the main reason? I am also having difficulty with the bell. I have set it to piezzo and played with all settings to no avail..any ideas? Thanks

Offline Jermdog

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:12:09 AM »
I need a little more info... What module are you using?  If it's the DM10, then check the ride settings in the trigger menu.  This should be set as a 3 zone, using both the ride and ride2/perc1 inputs.

I don't know if the smart triggers have two TRS outputs - it should, and you may have to swap the cables going to the cymbal or module to make all of the zones work.
Strike Pro, Dm10, Zildjian Gen 16 hats, xhats and garbage cymbals, Kit Toys chinas, crash and splashes, jam dock, mixer, custom 13" tom, alesis, drum workshop and various hardware.

drummernick

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »
I just bought a DM10pro and the ad stated triple zone ride with choke.  The advertising blurb said Bow Bell Edge, it has a choke strip underneath.  It has two 1/4" jack outputs.  I can get it to ride on the bow and work on the bell and it chokes perfectly but I cannot get anything of the edge.  Then I noticed on the box it said Dual Zone plus choke.  Am I going nuts or is this not a 3 zone with choke version? I do know there are two different versions of the 16 ride but this is beyond me. I have been playing drums for 38 years but never electronic.  So understand if I sound a bit slow on this.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »
I doubt that it is NOT the right one... it's either not set up right in the module, or you have a set selected, or Ride selected that is not a 3-zone ride... you have to look through, and try, all the rides, and you'll find some that are, and some that are not.

Make sure your settings are for 3 zones, and that your cables are all correct.

I can't give you more info, because my module is not here, sorry...
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227