Author Topic: Reaper + AD2 Latency  (Read 2391 times)

Reaper + AD2 Latency
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
Hi I've got my DM10x  Mesh kit set up with AD2.  I run the midi into a Presonus Audiobox USB and using AD2 standalone I've gotten the latency down to an acceptable level.

However I just d/l a trial of Reaper and when I monitor the drums through AD2 in Reaper there is pretty bad latency. 

Any ideas on how to bring the latency down in Reaper for monitoring or do I just have to monitor through the dm10 module headphones while recording?

Thanks!

Offline AlanK

Re: Reaper + AD2 Latency
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »
Only thing I can think of off the top is have you set Reaper to use the interface as well? Maybe it's just set to a default Windows audio driver so it becomes the weakest link. I use Ableton and I had to set it to use my Tascam AI and not Asio4All or Windows whatever it's called driver. Check that, otherwise I know nothing of Reaper
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »
I'm using Reaper to create backing tracks for a band I am doing with my brother. I have a Focusrite 2i4 interface.

So far I have only recorded guitar. Even with that I cannot notice the latency.

In Reaper you need to set it up to use the Presonus device and driver.

First go to Preferences -> Audio -> Midi Devices. In there find your Presonus device, right click and Enable it .This screen show shows you were you need to be rather than your specific audio device.

I'm not at home so I can't do a screen shot of my 2i4 setting in reaper but this next shot show you were you need to go next.

In my case I have the ASIO Driver set the the Focusrite ASIO driver. Then under that you pick which inputs you are using.

Does this help?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 02:15:26 PM »
Oh wow. I didn't realize that I had to go into that second screen.  That's probably why it wasn't working right.  I'll try it and report back.

Thank you so much!

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »
Here is a couple more in case you get stuck.

When you add a track the Record and Montioring are usually off. LIke this.

Click them both until they look like this.

Also, you will need to pick your Input for the track.

You do that here..

In that shot I clicked on the word 'IN'. You can pick the top option I think 'input (audio or MIDI). For me I last recorded some guitar. It was only coming in on the right side (or was it left). Anyway I told it to 'force mono' and it made the guitar sound happen in both sides.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 11:26:19 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips.  I was able to get my latency down to 64 through the audio/buffer window.

I appreciate the help

Offline Dobly

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 06:29:51 PM »
Here is one more tip for Reaper

At the top right of your screen you can see a small display like this one.

It gives you info about your current device setup. Clicking on it is a shortcut to the device window I mentioned above.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »
Also, in this screen, click the AISO Configuration button at the bottom just left of the sample rates.
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q522/BertFegg/2016-07-27%2013_18_28-reaper%20preferences%20device%20-%20Google%20Search_zpsm0mhy52x.png

If you do, a dialog box will pop up. Select the 2nd tab in the dialog box and you will see a latency drop down box. It's defaulted to Normal. I set mine to Fast and get @ 8ms latency. If I try very fast, it drops out, so I always make sure that its set to fast.

Hope this helps.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.