Author Topic: How to record the actual dm10 brain to my computer. (Not VST, etc)  (Read 2046 times)

Well I found the answer to the question I had previously asked. Thank you all!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:20:52 PM by csoto2010 »

Re: How to record the actual dm10 brain to my computer. (Not VST, etc)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
Id love to know!

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:08:53 AM »
The best way to do it as far as I know is get yourself a USB Audio Interface. Something like the Focusrite Scarlett solo or 2i2. There are other brands too but you'll find them easy enough. Take the line out of the DM10 into the interface and it will pass it in full quality and low latency to your PC.

https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-solo

Also, download a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). I use Reaper myself. It is free for the first 60 days and not crippled at all. After 60 days it encourages you to buy but does not stop working if it dont.  Despite that, buy it if you like it. It is pretty darn inexpensive for what it is.

http://www.reaper.fm/about.php

I hope this helps.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:56:22 AM »
Hey Dobly! I should probably know this, I have a Tascam audio interface.. I know it cuts latency when I've got my DM10 patched in through the midi input. There are also two xlr mic inputs as well as two phono line ins, for guitar, bass etc.. my question is do all the inputs get latency reduction or does it only affect the midi inputs? Because I generally use my midi in from drums, out to pc so I can play with Addictive or record into Ableton, but sometimes I want to go back to just the module so the other day I plugged the drums into the line inputs, right to right, left to left. Plays fine, sound quality is great, I didn't even think to listen for latency but I don't recall there being any sort of delay at all
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »
Hey Dobly! I should probably know this, I have a Tascam audio interface.. I know it cuts latency when I've got my DM10 patched in through the midi input.

As far as midi goes, you don't need to put the DM10 through a USB interface. You can USB the DM10 directly to your PC.

To record the sounds of the DM10 is a different technique. Here you take the audio out of the DM and into your Tascam, then from there to your PC.

Your Tascam does not 'cut' latency. It has low latency, but i know what you mean.

There are also two xlr mic inputs as well as two phono line ins, for guitar, bass etc.. my question is do all the inputs get latency reduction or does it only affect the midi inputs?

I'm not familiar with the Tascam interface, but if it is anything like my Focusrite 2i4 then all inputs benefit from the low latency provided by the 2i4.

I have 2 XLR and 2 line/instrument inputs on the 2i4. Thus far I have recorded guitar and keyboards through one of the line/instrument inputs. The 2i4 has a switch so I can pick if have a instrument .

What model is you Tascam device?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:12:39 AM »
Hi Dobly, I've got the US-122MKII (http://tascam.com/product/us-122mkii/). It says it gives zero latency through all connections, although I somewhat doubt that.

I used to go direct midi/usb from module to pc but I had to use Asio drivers and it blocked all other media audio and I needed an interface anyways so now I use the Tascam drivers when I'm playing with Addictive or recording in Ableton, and then I can also have my music player going or youtube and so on. I also like using it because it had the largest volume knobs of all the AI units I looked at or tried.. I love those Focusrites, and I also tried a Roland, but found when I was playing it was hard to grab the knob to turn my volume up or down. When I use that Tascam, if I'm playing along with music, it's so easy to adjust the volume of the drums or the music with my left hand.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers