Author Topic: What can I do with my DM10 hi-hat controller after upgrading to Alesis Pro X?  (Read 1956 times)

Hi Fellows, I'm new at this forum. I've tried to search for this answer already but cannot find anything accurate. I've bought a DM10 X kit a year ago and I've now upgraded my hi-hat trigger to Alesis Pro X, that being said I'll use the old hi-hat cymbal as a regular cymbal but my question is, what can I do with my old hi-hat pedal controller, is it possible to use it as a second kick drum pedal? Is it possible to use it as a program change controller so I can for example change kits from there? Any other idea that someone has performed with it?

Thanks!!!

Offline AlanK

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I've used my hi-hat pedal as a second kick activator in the past. I had to use a splitter on the Kick input and then programmed it to be Kick2. Problem of course is the different action, makes it awkward until you get used to having a real kick pedal for one foot and just a step down click kind of action for the other.. also think after some heavy use I was beginning to do in the pedal, I'm sure it's not rated for the abuse (I usually don't stomp down as hard on a hi-hat pedal as I would a kick pedal).

But it does work.. you may need to change the setting from Piezo to Trigger (sorry if that's not the terms, I'm at work with no manuals and haven't programmed my module in a long time). And you can also set it to change kits or do some other function other than activating a voice.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline rhysT

... what can I do with my old hi-hat pedal controller, is it possible to use it as a second kick drum pedal? Is it possible to use it as a program change controller so I can for example change kits from there? Any other idea that someone has performed with it?

A DIY option is adding a piezo sensor under your Realhat pedal foot plate like the Roland KT-9 kick trigger pedal: https://www.roland.com/global/products/kt-9/

I've modified some FD-8 pedals as explained in this topic: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6142.msg42864#msg42864
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:49:25 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dartanbeck

That is Too Cool, rhysT!!!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Thanks AlanK and rhysT, both are great ideas! I'll take some time to figure out the best option.

Offline Hellfire

Modifying hi-hat pedals to be trigger pedals is really easy. Here's my write-up from 2010:

DIY Pedal Trigger (Similar to FatKat)

Even thou the real hat peal isn't a switch based controller, you still should be able to modify it in a very similar way as I show in the above post. The best part is, the whole thing is internal.

If you really want to get tricky, you can add a membrane (or film) switch just under the contact point of the pedal to ensure no unwanted vibrations sets the pedal off. This is good when playing live. You would not believe how much vibration comes off of a stage floor. I actually did this in my pedal (never documented it however). The type of switch I used was based on this from 2007 (still relevant today) :

Get a Choke Hold (eCymbal Choke Switch)

A resistor is actually required in the circuit along with the switch. You can use this for a general wiring diagram:

HF-1 Zero XTalk Bar Trigger (Roland BT-1)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:16:58 AM by Hellfire »