Author Topic: [DM10] Setting the startup kit  (Read 9663 times)

[DM10] Setting the startup kit
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:01:42 PM »
I'm new here, been reading the forum for a few years, but this is my first post.

I have been trying to figure out how to select a kit that my RBM-20 would start with when I turned it on.

I have been playing with a kit up in 100's (the RBM-20 has 150 defined kits) so spinning the dial every time I turned the module on was getting old.

I recently acquired two different used RBM-20s (after my DM-10 died) and both started with kits other than 000 when I got them so, I knew it was possible to change the startup kit.

But, of course the first thing I did was reset to factory, upload the default sound sets, then apply the (red box) V2 firmware (syx) essentially setting things to an "as new" state which starts at set 000.

I found a thread that was about a year old about this topic:
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3562.0

It started out saying basically "not possible" but then two pages later, hinted at a solution.

So, I figured I'd document the solution in plain english here:
  • Turn on your module
  • Select the kit you would like to be the startup kit
  • Press "seq" (this should be 00 if you just turned your module on)
  • press "save" ("store" on DM-10)
  • Turn the power off and back on again. The module should now start with your selected kit rather than 000
Basically this associates your selected kit with sequence 00, and when the module starts up, it selects the kit assigned to sequence 00.

Hope this is helpful to someone other than me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:09:28 AM by DMdrummer Staff »

Offline Trondster

Re: Setting the startup kit on the DM-10 / RBM-20
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »
Sweet - nice information! :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »
Thanks! Good to know.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
I'm new here, been reading the forum for a few years, but this is my first post.

I have been trying to figure out how to select a kit that my RBM-20 would start with when I turned it on.

I have been playing with a kit up in 100's (the RBM-20 has 150 defined kits) so spinning the dial every time I turned the module on was getting old.

I recently acquired two different used RBM-20s (after my DM-10 died) and both started with kits other than 000 when I got them so, I knew it was possible to change the startup kit.

But, of course the first thing I did was reset to factory, upload the default sound sets, then apply the (red box) V2 firmware (syx) essentially setting things to an "as new" state which starts at set 000.

I found a thread that was about a year old about this topic:
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3562.0

It started out saying basically "not possible" but then two pages later, hinted at a solution.

So, I figured I'd document the solution in plain english here:
  • Turn on your module
  • Select the kit you would like to be the startup kit
  • Press "seq" (this should be 00 if you just turned your module on)
  • press "save" ("store" on DM-10)
  • Turn the power off and back on again. The module should now start with your selected kit rather than 000
Basically this associates your selected kit with sequence 00, and when the module starts up, it selects the kit assigned to sequence 00.

Hope this is helpful to someone other than me.

I had totally forgotten about this! I never tested it and you are correct. This is an awesome "hidden feature". I think this topic just made it in to the new "DM10: Advanced Programming, Usage & Techniques" section that I'm working on which will be free for all members. ;) For now I will sticky this topic. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »
After a little more refection on this, it is irritating that Alesis on their own site was not able to tell their users this info themselves. Why? because it just shows how little Alesis know about their own product. Shame on Alesis. >:(

…and Awesome job Essington! :D :D :D :D

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:36:21 PM »
Thanks!  I was trying to figure that out today....

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
After a little more refection on this, it is irritating that Alesis on their own site was not able to tell their users this info themselves. Why? because it just shows how little Alesis know about their own product. Shame on Alesis. >:(

This just seems to be a side effect of sequence selection, which can be exploited to our advantage.

So, we technically are not able to set the default kit ... Or the default sequence, but we can set the kit associated with the default sequence. Which luckily for us is initialized after the default kit.

So when Alesis says, "It is not possible to set a default kit." They are technically correct. They just didn't bother to look for a functional equivalent.

Thanks! My first post on the forums an it gets stickied, I'm flattered  :)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »

This just seems to be a side effect of sequence selection, which can be exploited to our advantage.

So, we technically are not able to set the default kit ... Or the default sequence, but we can set the kit associated with the default sequence. Which luckily for us is initialized after the default kit.

So when Alesis says, "It is not possible to set a default kit." They are technically correct. They just didn't bother to look for a functional equivalent.

I agree, but in the link that you posted about the original topic, that user was never told by Alesis that setting the kit for sequence 00 would cause this issue and asked him to contact their (Alesis) service department. You would think that Alesis would have said something like "Well, if the kit for sequence 00 was changed this might cause your issue". They should have known, but they didn't.

I'm sorry, I know you are new to the sight and I know I'm coming off as a little tilted, but I've had the pleasure ( ::) ) of dealing with Alesis for quite sometime. For what ever reason we users tend to know more about the DM10 than Alesis does.

Thanks! My first post on the forums an it gets stickied, I'm flattered  :)

Most do not make that big of a splash when they post here for the first time. I have to say that was one heck of a first post.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 10:09:29 AM »
I'm sorry, I know you are new to the sight and I know I'm coming off as a little tilted, but I've had the pleasure ( ::) ) of dealing with Alesis for quite sometime. For what ever reason we users tend to know more about the DM10 than Alesis does.

Oh, I follow ya ...
It is a shame that Alesis does not have the wherewithal to follow through on their ideas ... Or even fully support and maintain their existing products.

It is nice, however, to see the community here at DMdrummer come together and provide the support and features (like DMEditor and IO config tool) that Alesis is ill-equipped to provide.

Thanks, Hellfire, for providing this outlet.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
Great tip!  Worked on my DM8 as well.   :)

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »
Can you load the 150 kits from the RBM-20 into the DM-10?

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »

The SysEx file is available as a download on redboxsoundshop.com

It is just a full system export. But I suspect the sound set are different between the two firmware sets (DM10 and RBM20) so even if you could load the redbox sets onto the DM10 the settings might not make sense.

My DM10 suffered severe brain damage (main system board failure) so I don't have the ability to try it myself.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »

Yep, we've discussed this kit<->sequence relationship in some other threads, irritating some users - me too, first :) Very good find indeed!

Offline vaikl

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

The SysEx file is available as a download on redboxsoundshop.com

It is just a full system export. But I suspect the sound set are different between the two firmware sets (DM10 and RBM20) so even if you could load the redbox sets onto the DM10 the settings might not make sense.

My DM10 suffered severe brain damage (main system board failure) so I don't have the ability to try it myself.

The RedBox sysex files include a different hardware identification code, so it's not possible to exchange them easily.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 11:40:31 PM »
Essington: You sir, are a bloody genius,  a scholar, and a gentleman. Heck, I would love to buy you a bear sometime.  Sure this is a workaround, and while it's not highly technical (I have had my DM10 Studio for all of 2 days and performed this step in about 31 seconds after seeing this thread), but you had the good sense to figure it out AND you made a point to share it with the community.

Know how cool it is to turn on my basically new DM10 and have my Named Set: "Blairware1" Loaded up and ready?

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »
I just did this 2 days ago after I customized my kit with dmeditor.

Blairware, you might want to just get him a beer. Bears can be dangerous. 8-)
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 08:32:45 PM »
This idea got me thinking about how to access kits by increments of 10, without over-using the value dial.
After checking what default kits are assigned to each of the 74 preset sequences there are 10 of them that use Kits 00,11,20,30,41,51,60,71,82,92. Their related sequences (as listed) can be copied to Seq 01 to 09, (after saving those in User Seq 81 to 89 so they are still available).

These sequences (and their default kits) will allow you to skip to any group of 10 kits by simply selecting Seq 00 to 09:
Seq 00 (Kit 00) - no change
Seq 20 (Kit 11) - copy to Seq 01
Seq 36 (Kit 20) - copy to Seq 02
Seq 25 (Kit 30) - copy to Seq 03
Seq 51 (Kit 41) - copy to Seq 04
Seq 48 (Kit 51) - copy to Seq 05
Seq 49 (Kit 60) - copy to Seq 06
Seq 56 (Kit 71) - copy to Seq 07
Seq 17 (Kit 82) - copy to Seq 08
Seq 45 (Kit 92) - copy to Seq 09

This hack could also include Kits 100 to 199 by reassigning Seq 10 to 19. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:04:17 AM by rhysT »