Author Topic: Real Hi-Hat w/ DM5  (Read 7183 times)

Real Hi-Hat w/ DM5
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »
So Im reading it's not possible to use variable hi-hat controls with this module. Is this true? If so, there has got to be a way to make a real hi-hat work with this module.

The only upgrades I want are a real hi-hat and a real snare. I dont need anything else, are my 4 vacant inputs going to allow me to do that? Also my current snare isnt dual zone like the DM5 Pro is advertised. Maybe it is, but I dont have the 1/4 cable splitter (stereo to dual mono)

Thanks dudes.

Offline Hellfire

Re: Real Hi-Hat w/ DM5
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:58:11 AM »
So Im reading it's not possible to use variable hi-hat controls with this module. Is this true? If so, there has got to be a way to make a real hi-hat work with this module.

The only upgrades I want are a real hi-hat and a real snare. I dont need anything else, are my 4 vacant inputs going to allow me to do that? Also my current snare isnt dual zone like the DM5 Pro is advertised. Maybe it is, but I dont have the 1/4 cable splitter (stereo to dual mono)

Thanks dudes.
Unfortunately, the DM5 can not use a variable hi-hat control. It is switch type only. If by stating "real hi-hats" you mean using a hi-hat stand with a built-in switch, yes that can be done. The only draw back is it's still just a switch controller. There is noway to put a variable hi-hat on the DM5.

Now, if you are a handy DIY'er, you might be able to fake it. (just thinking off the top of my head here) You would need two switches (one for hi-hat control and one for input control) and two inputs on the module (one for the regular hi-hat input and the second one for a half open sounding hi-hat). The rest would require a picture and I don't have that right now....You know I think I suggested this one time over at Vdrums. I would need to check some of my old files. I might already have a picture of this.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:17:03 AM »
Im not so concerned with variable control but I would like to have a real hi-hat stand and hi-hat.

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
Im not so concerned with variable control but I would like to have a real hi-hat stand and hi-hat.

Thanks

This post is late, but I just discovered this site!

I am using a real hi-hat stand as a hi-hat pedal with my Alesis D4, in a very cheap and easy fashion: I mounted a spring (a door-stop spring that I picked up at home depot) on a piece of wood so it's electrically insulated, and used nylon wire ties to mount this spring so that the metal pedal hits the spring when you depress the pedal most of the way. 

I connected the spring to the tip of a 1/4" plug, and the metal body of the pedal to the sleeve of the plug.  The spring and the metal pedal become your switch contacts.  Plug it into your hi-hat switch jack, and it works like a charm!

At the moment, the hi-hat stand is sitting next to a regular drum pad; I haven't gone to having the hi-hat trigger mounted on the stand yet.  But I assume you can just put a real, dampened hi-hat cymbal, or a practice cymbal, on the stand with a piezo attached, just like all your other DIY drum pads, and it would work.  I'm guessing you probably want to have a bottom cymbal (or reasonable substitute) mounted there as well for stability, to get the right feel.
Alesis D4 with old simmons hex pads, frisbees w/ piezos and rockband cymbals, and an experimental mesh-head snare conversion; DrumKat 3.8 with pintech kick & hat pedal.