Author Topic: Questions about DIY build for DM10  (Read 2440 times)

Questions about DIY build for DM10
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »
I'm taking delivery next week of a new DM10 module, so I have no more excuses for putting off my DIY build, but a few questions.  I'm planning a reflection plate design, possibly using the drop-in cake pan idea with a RP sandwiched in some foam, but what I'm most unclear about is the electrical aspects of the build.  What size piezo works best, or are they all pretty standard?  I read on here that some of the DIY builds run a bit hot with the signal from the piezo on the DM10.  Would a smaller piezo help in that area?  Also, what is the wiring schematic for head and rim piezos for the DM10?  I've seen diagrams for Roland-based DIY, but I wasn't sure if Alesis uses the same diagram.  Any comments or advice is welcome.

Re: Questions about DIY build for DM10
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »
Don't know if it helps but the piezos on the DM10 pads are 1 inch to 1 1/4/1/2 inch.  Having said that as long as you don't go over board then you should be able to get the sensitivity tweaked on the DM-10.  From my recent tweaking/experimenting the distance from the skin is the bit the will ultimately determine the sensitivity of the pad made.  Closer = more sensitive and more responsive, further = safer but less responsive.  The material in between seemed to make only minor differences when I tweaked where as the distance from the skin made a more defined difference (responded more like an acoustic kit)

I am only a amateur, new to E-drums so maybe wait for more info.