Author Topic: Reducing double triggers on DIY kick?  (Read 8001 times)

Reducing double triggers on DIY kick?
« on: January 08, 2010, 07:43:33 AM »
Hi Guys.

On my A2E kick, I have the trigger mounted near the rim on a an L-bracket, using the tried & trusted sanding foam block & double-sided tape method.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cut down the amount of double triggers I'm getting - I mean physically, rather than by software?  I can use the double-trigger reduction settings either on the I/O or in etrigger, but I find this limits how I can play my double kick pedal rhythms too much.

I assume I'm right, that as with acoustic drums, I'm looking to reduce the resonance in the batter head?  Would stuffnig the kick drum full of pillows against the skin help (not so aesthetically pleaseing mind).

I seem to have had some success on the snare, by adding an extra old mesh skin underneath the batter (making it double ply) which I assume cuts down on vibrations & therefore double triggers?

BTW the trigger foam is about 2cm square, and not a cone shape.

Love to hear some experienced opinions.

Cheers

P
Premier Royale 7 piece A to E with T-Trigger mesh heads on a Dixon Chrome rack.
DIY piezo triggers. 
Alesis I/O.
BFD2. 
Reaper.
ETrigger.

Kit album:http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=228

Re: Reducing double triggers on DIY kick?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:33:24 PM »
Have you tried a piezo directly in the center of the drum, rather than near the rim? Most kick triggers I've seen use foam in the center with a piezo in the back, works well for me.

And you don't have to use a cone for kicks either - since you're hitting in the same place every time, you can just stick whatever shaped foam flat up against the center of the head. The cone is only used for snare/toms, where you're trying to get a smooth response all across the head, with minimal hotspotting.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:16:57 AM »
Hey AwDeOh - thanks for the reply.

No - I haven't tried that - I was concerned about the longevity of the trigger near the beaters - they take some pounding!  Also - I'd have to construct some hoofing great x-bar for my 22" kick?  How is your's constructed?
DIY piezo triggers. 
Alesis I/O.
BFD2. 
Reaper.
ETrigger.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
Wekk, stuffing an old duvet up against the batter allowed me to reduce the retrigger settings from 115 to 40.  i gues what works for acoustic drums also does for edrums!  ;D
DIY piezo triggers. 
Alesis I/O.
BFD2. 
Reaper.
ETrigger.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
I'm using a reflection plate with the piezo glued to the back, works great - there's a thread down the list a bit on reflection plates (as an alternative to crossbar). The piezo in both cases would be behind foam, I don't think in either case you'd have much problem with the piezo failing - I remember back about 6 months, reading a thread from a guy who'd installed piezos behind the actual kick beater FELT! He swore they were fine for a good 6 months of playing :)

If you wanted to try one, read that thread to get the idea of the plate, it wouldn't cost much to knock up a 20" circular board of MDF with foam on the front - that mounts hard up against the kickdrum head with L brackets supporting from behind.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
theres many ways of doing something  i took my diy kick from the roland idea ill post a pic when i get home from work but i used the same method as on all my toms the beatnick crossbar with the piezo in the middle i bent a 14inch shell out of 1/8 aluminum and used a pearl jungle jig to mount my double pedals too it works great i set the tension on my kick pedal so it returns faster i also tighted the mesh head pretty snug to give it a great bouce im using the pearl mesh heads which are cheap imma try a billy blast with the dot i think it will hold up much better with the dot
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:46:48 PM by WOUND4SOUND »
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline ghostman

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
I had some trigger issues (doubling up and such.)  I moved my piezo slightly off-center.

If you can see it, there is a green dot behind the mesh head.  The green dot is my 'cone' that is over the piezo.  As you can see, the bass pedal strikes above the green dot, and that has given me great response.  Originally, they were in the middle, and they were too sensitive.  My playing style, I tend to 'bury the beater' - meaning the beater is usually against the head, and when I play the bass drum, I lift and strike, and leave the beater against the head.  bad for some styles of drumming w/ acoustic drums, but, it's how I play.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
good lookin' kicks!