Author Topic: DIY DM8/DM10 cymbal mounts  (Read 4590 times)

Offline orion32

DIY DM8/DM10 cymbal mounts
« on: October 22, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »
Has anyone seen or heard of anyone coming up with a DIY cymbal mount for a DM8/DM10 cymbal pad?

I have a few in need of replacement and wondering if this is even possible
Alesis Strike Pro
A to E converted Zildjian L80 - 14" crash, 16" crash & china

Offline AlanK

Re: DIY DM8/DM10 cymbal mounts
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »
You may have to be more specific.. but for under 10 bucks (Cdn) I've bought many a spare clamp for the DM10 rack that fits either a cymbal arm or a pad bracket
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline orion32

Re: DIY DM8/DM10 cymbal (anti-rotation) mounts
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »
sorry for the confusion.....I don't need the clamp that holds the arm.  I need the anti-rotation piece that sits at the top of the arm.

Its the black plastic piece that has the cymbal sits on.  I have yet to find a place that sells these and a few of mine were tightened too much and the plastic has expanded where the slot for the nut is
Alesis Strike Pro

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »
ahhh my bad, and I know exactly what you mean.. I've got two where that squarish nut has had to be tightened a lot to keep the thing from spinning and it's deformed the housing that holds it in place! I've actually put my ride on a boom stand of its own (I think it looks way cooler too, but also had bought extra crashes so needed the extra stand anyways) and so I've got one sitting in a bin full of gear. I thought I saw them online somewhere before.. what about Alesis' website? Anything?
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline AlanK

Offline orion32

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »
no worries Alan, and thank you.  Your issue is the same issue I'm having. 

The one's I need look like this the one in the attachment

I was hoping someone came up with a DIY.  I'm not overly impressed with the durability/fuctionality of the OEM mounts.

I read, as you must have, when you over-tighten, you disform the plastic. However I have a few that aren't deformed, and as tight as they should be but spin fairly easily when "bumped" slightly.

This may be because they were not correctly tightened by the previous owner. 

I did find replacement on flea-bay for just under $14 which isn't too bad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-Anti-Spin-Rotation-Stopper-for-DMPad-Cymbal/201389180674

I just wanted to see if there was a DIY option someone had come up with. 

Alesis Strike Pro

Offline orion32

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 09:08:01 AM »
Oh, I meant to also ask you how are you mounting your cymbal pads on a boom stand?  Is it without and anti rotation mount?  If yes could you please provide details?

I have thought about getting booms for extra cymbals instead of something that mounts to the rack just for a little more flexibility for placement of the cymbals.
Alesis Strike Pro

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
Good question. So I just slid the anti-spin mount onto the boom tip and tightened it up

Offline orion32

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 02:46:46 PM »
Gotcha........I have an idea on making an anti-spin mount......not quite fully baked yet.

I'll update the thread when I have something.....I was hoping someone else pioneered the way.

Guess I'll have to start.
Alesis Strike Pro

Offline AlanK

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
Cool, but don't get too baked or you may not be able to finish the project (yuk yuk)
Keep us posted and send pics when you've finished, may inspire the rest of us!

Offline orion32

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »
I will.......kind of hard for ME to get baked.......not a stoner......maybe I should start since its legal....LOL
Alesis Strike Pro

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
I needed some for Roland style.  https://www.tinkercad.com/things/9xZCVGcfH3M
Just 3D print it. Could just add a blade to one side and you have an Alesis style. Costs maybe 50 cents to print.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 04:01:08 PM »
that's really cool, I think it needs a screw somewhere to tighten the mount to the top rod of the stand (as well as the fin)

great that we can 3D print parts if necessary.. there are a few of these where I work and some of the staff have begun submitting jobs.. I may have to have a few spare parts printed to try out this tech

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 06:11:57 PM »
I left the hole out for the screw. I drill it later for whatever size screw I have handy so it's a tight fit. Doesn't take much to hold it on the cymbal shaft. The mount hole is staggered so it doesn't fall all the way down.

Offline orion32

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »
I never thought about 3D printing.  THis could be an excellent option.

Thanks
Alesis Strike Pro

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 12:18:14 AM »
Just adding a late reply to say - some awesome creator has made 3D printed parts for Alesis cymbals:

Anti-Rotation Mount - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4463500

Cymbal Knob - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3584502