Author Topic: Newbie again- software question  (Read 1211 times)

Newbie again- software question
« on: December 28, 2020, 05:56:34 AM »
I’m looking at using superior drummer or ez drummer to import some better kits into my Alesis Nitro Mesh kit.
Being new to drums and music generally, I’d appreciate some advice on this. I only want the kits really and not interested in anything more  - such as recording , tweaking sounds etc, so I am hoping there is a cost effective way of doing this?
I don’t even have a laptop but as an iPad only user I’ll probably need to buy a small one to download to.
Is there a preferred way of doing this.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Chaser

Re: Newbie again- software question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »
I’m looking at using superior drummer or ez drummer to import some better kits into my Alesis Nitro Mesh kit.
Being new to drums and music generally, I’d appreciate some advice on this. I only want the kits really and not interested in anything more  - such as recording , tweaking sounds etc, so I am hoping there is a cost effective way of doing this?
I don’t even have a laptop but as an iPad only user I’ll probably need to buy a small one to download to.
Is there a preferred way of doing this.
Thanks in advance.

The Medeli DD512 modules (Nitro,Surge) don't have the ability to import sounds.
You would be using the module as a TMI or MIDI controller for the software.

To use an iPad you would need a USB camera kit...if the iPad doesn't have audio out then you would also need a USB audio interface with a MIDI 5 pin connector in order to connect the module.If the iPad is a newer USB-C you would need a USB-C to USB-B cable for the interface as most companies don't supply this,then you would not need the USB camera kit..

Eventually BFD3,EZD2,SD3,SSD..etc will all be written for the new Mac (Apple "Silicon") M1 chip and all will work on both iOS/macOS...The Transition has already begun.
Memory limitations on iOS will be an issue for some software such as SD3 where you can load up to 16GB kits,but the iPad Pros are gaining ground and have 6GB Ram now..

A "Bang for your Buck" interface that would cover the minimum would be Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD,which is on back order except for the few sellers I see (especially Amazon) that doubled/tripled the price because of the back order.
Apparently they think people only shop on Amazon..or too lazy to look around..

You can get the UMC404HD for -$50 more than the normally priced UMC204HD $128 and have twice the inputs of the 204HD and it's in stock everywhere.

One way or the other (Laptop or Tablet) it is always recommended to use an audio interface to take the stress off the computer so it can focus on the software and eliminate audio drop outs,stuttering etc and minimize latency.
There are many audio interfaces and prices can vary greatly the size of the interface depends on your needs just make sure whatever the choice..it has 5 PIN MIDI.. a lot of the smaller interfaces don't , that's why they are cheaper.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »
Sorry, I’m like a delinquent on tech stuff.
If I use a laptop, can I import sounds using the EZdrummer or is it not possible with my Alesis Nitro Mesh kit?
Excuse my ignorance, I’m a very basic iPad user; years since I used anything else, but I appreciate a laptop is probably the simplest way.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 01:39:05 PM »
Sorry, I’m like a delinquent on tech stuff.
If I use a laptop, can I import sounds using the EZdrummer or is it not possible with my Alesis Nitro Mesh kit?
Excuse my ignorance, I’m a very basic iPad user; years since I used anything else, but I appreciate a laptop is probably the simplest way.

Read first sentence of my Post....the Nitro/Surge are rebranded Medeli DD512 modules and  don't have the ability to import sounds
They are entry level modules..it doesn't matter if you have a laptop...PC..Mac..iPad..they do not import sounds..

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
Ok, not trying to cause offence , I just didn’t fully understand, but I thought it was possible to play this kit through the software mentioned so just sought clarification that there was a way of getting extra kits.
Thanks

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »
Ok, not trying to cause offence , I just didn’t fully understand, but I thought it was possible to play this kit through the software mentioned so just sought clarification that there was a way of getting extra kits.
Thanks

You can use the kit as a TMI (Trigger to Midi Interface) as a MIDI controller to use the software...you cannot add/import any kits/sounds into the module

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
Do that mean I can play my kit through the software, but not the other way round? So I can still get the sounds?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
Do that mean I can play my kit through the software, but not the other way round? So I can still get the sounds?

We're going in circles...
If you don't understand what "Trigger to MIDI" or "MIDI controller" means then I suggest you need to take the time and learn about the basics of an electronic drum module...e-drumming..MIDI and how it applies to e-drumming (Local Control..MIDI note mapping..Trigger settings,Triggering software etc),how Vst/DAW and/or drumming software operate and the proper equipment requirements to use them.

Learn your modules capabilites and/or lack of.
There is a link provided above for the in depth manual for this module.The Alesis User Guide is minimal.
This module Cymbals..Ride/Crashes are single zone.

You are trying to go from absolute zero to one of the most complex drummimg software there is on the market
without even a basic understanding of your module or what is involved..you are only going to get discouraged and frustrated.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 03:55:06 AM »
You’re right.
I was just looking for a plug and play solution to getting better kit access. I shall lower my expectations, as I’m reluctant to get too involved in layers of software etc.
Thanks.