Author Topic: Best VST value  (Read 4617 times)

Best VST value
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:21:19 AM »
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, so pls forgive me if I'm breaking protocol by starting a new thread on things that have already been discussed. I've seen several discussions addressing all these issues, but not in one thread, and some are older.

So - I've got the DM10 studio kit, and overall I'm really happy with it. Thanks to Hellfire and Guinness for the videos they've posted, as they helped me solidify my choice. The things I wish were better on the DM10 are:

- Not many great hi-hat choices. Most of the stock hats, especially when played open/semi-open sound a little cheesy (same sample being played each time).

- The HH pedal is a little tricky. Sometimes when closing the hat it seems to cut the HH sound prematurely (goes straight from open-hat sound to no hat sound, with no "chick" in between). I've tried calibrating, but no luck. Of course, I'm not sure what the "trim" option does on the calibration menu.

So, with that being the case, I've looked thru the posts here, and many people are experimenting with VSTs. I'm not too familiar with them, and was looking for a little guidance. I'm not looking to spend too much, as the DM10 was my "big purchase" for a year or so (wife imposed). Finally, getting to the point:

- What VST options seem to be the best value?

- Also, I'm impressed with the SSD sample songs, but I've read about MIDI input problems w/ the DM10. Using a PC, is it difficult to get that straightened out. Also, using SSD, are the HH samples more "dynamic" sounding when played in the open position.

- Anything else I need to be aware of?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the assistance.

Online Hellfire

Re: Best VST value
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »
Hi HSPTiger,

Welcome to the forum. I noticed you stated you didn't know what the "trim" option was in the calibration menu. Do you mean "TRIG" option? That option lets you set the Xtalk, Retrigger, and Threshold of the hi-hat trigger itself. Unfortunately, that stuff doesn't really effect the pedal operation of the hi-hat, only the hi-hat trigger itself.

I don't use VST's at this time. Mainly because my computers are too old to use them efficiently in a live setting (too much latency).

You could try a search on the internet for drum VST's and see if they have any demo or free trials of the software. What ever VST you go with, you may need to change around some of the midi note numbers to get it to work correctly with your software. I believe SSD doesn't allow you to change the midi notes and not all of the midi notes on the DM10 can be changed. I thinking mainly of the Hi-hat. Because of this you may need a midi remapping software to get the DM10 to interface better with the software. I hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 12:37:09 PM »
Thanks man! Actually, if you hit "ext trig"->"cal", F3 on that screen is "trim", which lets you set "open" and "closed." I'm guessing these are the values that calibrating sets for you, but wasn't sure as I haven't seen any documentation on this one. Thanks again!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
Thanks man! Actually, if you hit "ext trig"->"cal", F3 on that screen is "trim", which lets you set "open" and "closed." I'm guessing these are the values that calibrating sets for you, but wasn't sure as I haven't seen any documentation on this one. Thanks again!
Interesting...I don't have that option. Could you do me a favor and press "UTILITY", F4 (SYS), and F3 (O/S). Can you tell me what the following shows on your DM10:

• Trig OS:
• Sound ROM:
• Sound OS:

Thanks.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »
Interesting...I don't have that option. Could you do me a favor and press "UTILITY", F4 (SYS), and F3 (O/S). Can you tell me what the following shows on your DM10:

• Trig OS:
• Sound ROM:
• Sound OS:

Thanks.

Excellent Question HF.  I was thinking the same thing.  I don't have that option.  I just looked in Alesis.com and it's still 1.03.  Although, this is new I thinkDM10 - App Update [v1.00l]   But it's included in the v1.03.  Hmmm...

I'd like a Trim function, even though I don't know what it does.  My hh has been bugging me lately.

HSPTiger, welcome the forum!

There's a "DM20" post somewhere that you can add to (better hh voices).  It's the forum's "wish list" for future DM products.  (Alesis does participate in this forum.)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
Excellent Question HF.  I was thinking the same thing.  I don't have that option.  I just looked in Alesis.com and it's still 1.03.  Although, this is new I thinkDM10 - App Update [v1.00l]   But it's included in the v1.03.  Hmmm...

I'd like a Trim function, even though I don't know what it does.  My hh has been bugging me lately.

HSPTiger, welcome the forum!

There's a "DM20" post somewhere that you can add to (better hh voices).  It's the forum's "wish list" for future DM products.  (Alesis does participate in this forum.)
You are right Guinness. the App Update I have is v1.00a. I save all my updates. ;)

They are up to "l" now? I guess I will try an update to my module and see if that makes a difference. I we let you guys know.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »
I just updated the App to the v1.00l and it has the "TRIM" option in it. I wonder if Alesis hasn't said anything yet because they haven't documented the changes yet? I don't know. I wonder if this updated changed anything else.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »
What does "Trim" do?

I'll update it shortly.

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
welcome and thanks HSPTiger for getting everyone excited....

and to HF for catching the difference:)
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline ghostman

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »
I'd like a Trim function, even though I don't know what it does.

That's hilarious.  Thanks for the laugh, G.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.