Author Topic: Is there a USB 2.0 Alesis I/O (vs. the current USB 1.1)  (Read 3429 times)

Is there a USB 2.0 Alesis I/O (vs. the current USB 1.1)
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
Hi all,
Just joined the forum and only  2 weeks reading as much as time permits about VSTi. Hope to get some advice on the following:

1. Correct me if I'm wrong: the current Alesis I/O is USB 1.1 only, right?

2. Is there a USB 2.0 speed replacement? I read that even Mac will dump the firewire interfaces and the new laptop models will only feature USB 2.0 (for reference check M-audio's site). Has USB 1.1 been causing problems so far?

3. Can I record BFD/Toontrack with a host application without buying and external soundcard for my laptop? I have a 4GB RAM, 2GHz Dual Core PC laptop with 500 GB HDD, USB only interfcaces (no PCMCIA, firewire etc). If I definitely need an external sound card can you recommend something? I was thinking about the M-audio Fast Track Ultra card?

Thank you for bearing with my very basic questions!
Best regards!

Online Hellfire

Re: Is there a USB 2.0 Alesis I/O (vs. the current USB 1.1)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:54 AM »
Hi all,
Just joined the forum and only  2 weeks reading as much as time permits about VSTi. Hope to get some advice on the following:

1. Correct me if I'm wrong: the current Alesis I/O is USB 1.1 only, right?

2. Is there a USB 2.0 speed replacement? I read that even Mac will dump the firewire interfaces and the new laptop models will only feature USB 2.0 (for reference check M-audio's site). Has USB 1.1 been causing problems so far?

3. Can I record BFD/Toontrack with a host application without buying and external soundcard for my laptop? I have a 4GB RAM, 2GHz Dual Core PC laptop with 500 GB HDD, USB only interfcaces (no PCMCIA, firewire etc). If I definitely need an external sound card can you recommend something? I was thinking about the M-audio Fast Track Ultra card?

Thank you for bearing with my very basic questions!
Best regards!
I assume you are asking about the Alesis Trigger I/O. USB 1.0 is much faster than MIDI. If you have any latency problems it will not be because of the Alesis Trigger I/O but, because of your sound card. USB 1.0 is plenty fast enough to handle any midi application. USB 2.0 would be over kill for midi as the end user would not see any benefit over USB 1.0 midi.

Latency issues should never keep you from recording. You can still record on your laptop. I'm not sure if you would have much latency anyway because you have a fairly good laptop based on your spec.

I hope this helps.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:59:12 PM »
Thank you for the prompt reply! Big fan of your site and videos  ;D

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
I assume you are asking about the Alesis Trigger I/O. USB 1.0 is much faster than MIDI. If you have any latency problems it will not be because of the Alesis Trigger I/O but, because of your sound card. USB 1.0 is plenty fast enough to handle any midi application. USB 2.0 would be over kill for midi as the end user would not see any benefit over USB 1.0 midi.

Latency issues should never keep you from recording. You can still record on your laptop. I'm not sure if you would have much latency anyway because you have a fairly good laptop based on your spec.

I hope this helps.

BUT, USB 2 would be handy for any upgrade / firmware patches.  I hope the DM10 is USB 2.0!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:07:50 AM »
Quote from: ghostman link=topic=166.msg1097#msg1097 date=1266519325

BUT, USB 2 would be handy for any upgrade / firmware patches.  I hope the DM10 is USB 2.0!
[/quote

Sadly I think the DM10 is USB 1.1, which is more than adequate for sending and receiving MIDI performances, but will be slow when it comes time to reflash with downloadable kits. If there's a way to upgrade that to USB 2.0, (don't know if it's a chipset or firmware issue) that would be great (it could take the reported 20 minute kit download to about 2 minutes)..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline ghostman

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »
or maybe it costs more to license USB 2 vs. 1.  ;D
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
or maybe it costs more to license USB 2 vs. 1.  ;D

I'm sure if it's a chipset, that the 1.1 chips are much cheaper.

Also figure that Alesis is working very hard to drive all the cost out of their module, so it can be affordable for the masses. Unfortunately this means things like plastic jacks instead of metal ones, and probably an inexpensive chipset. The good news here is that it sounds like they didn't scrimp on the sounds. I have to say this is the first e-kit that I've played where I don't cringe when I ride on the crash cymbals or wince from machine gun sounding snare rolls!

Hopefully the downloadable kits will take this to a new level!
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com