Author Topic: Purchase decision  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Guinness

Purchase decision
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
Well, I'm now shopping for a Drum Amp.  At the moment, I really don't need one.  It's more of those, it'd be nice to have things.  :)

Simmons DA50  $199; or
Simmons DA200 $299.

I like the flexibility of the 200, and am concerned I'd never be able to use the 50 for anything other than home use.

- or -

Get two new smartrigger cymbals....  China and Splash.

- or -

Do nothing.  My damn home PC bit the bullet two nights ago.  XP crashed.  I usually reinstall XP every couple of years, but since the last time, I told myself I'd install Win7 next.  Well, next is apparently now.  So, that plus Outlook2010, and that was a quick $300.

- or -

F' it, and buy everything!   :D    :D

Offline vaikl

Re: Purchase decision
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 06:21:02 PM »
Buy the DA200, the cymbals and go for a Mac. I swear by the healing hands of my Grandma that it'll be the happiest christmas since years...  ;D ;D ;D

(For the Mac my happiest christmas was last year :) )

Orangeblood

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »
I have the DA200 and it is all you will need. Very wise purchase, I challenge anyone to show me something better for the price.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »
you should buy 2 powered 15's (like Tapco if you can find them anymore...or the Mackie named equivalents) and a small mixer.

cost about $600 and could be used for gigging if need be.

600 watts FTW!
The first rule of any technology used in a business is that automation applied to an efficient operation will magnify the efficiency. The second is that automation applied to an inefficient operation will magnify the inefficiency.
-Bill Gates

Orangeblood

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »
you should buy 2 powered 15's (like Tapco if you can find them anymore...or the Mackie named equivalents) and a small mixer.

cost about $600 and could be used for gigging if need be.

600 watts FTW!

600W's doesn't mean a darn thing.  I had the Mackie 450 sitting side by side w/ the DA200 and bought the DA happily. Money wasn't an issue.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
Hmmm..  Guinness, All I can say is, what's the game plan?

If you're moving towards playing out or joining/starting a band, definitely grab an amp.. I thought the DA200 was pretty good when I tried it.. For anyone in a band looking to gig with an E-kit, sink money into the PA as it's your bread and butter.. Our bass player went the extra mile and got some nice subs which REALLY help the drums..

as far as PC/Mac.. there's really great software that runs on either.. it's a personal preference.. I like a combo of Windows/Linux myself.

E-cymbals.. again a preference, but I have used my old yammie pads as extra cymbals, and they work fine but play meh.. You can always DIY as well there's some good info on the vdrums site as to how to do this with cheap PA Meinl cymals, which actually look pretty hot...
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:04:02 AM »
whelp...

I upgraded my PC.  Nice too...

Asus AM3 board
Phenom II 555 Black X2 3.2ghz (but might be able to unlock it to X4)
another HD
Cooler
4gig of 1333 DDR3 mem

Should be a huge upgrade over what I had (DFI 939 board, 4400+, 2 gig of DDR400)....  probably overkill for my needs, but that's fine by me.  :)

$450 spent... plus Win7.   So, I'm probably going to chill on the extra cymbals and amp for a bit.  I can live without. 

I'd like to get a band together...  but I'm so fricken time-poor, I don't know if that'll ever happen.  I do miss that "band feeling" though.  Playing by myself is fun, but playing together is something all together different.  Those that do, you know.  But, if and when, that happens, picking up the DA200 will be the way I go.

I don't "need" more cymbals.  Rims work just fine.  But it'd be a "nice to have".  Actually, the other day, I was playing a tune I hadn't played in years, and went to hit the china, but it wasn't there.  I struck right where it used to be (on the accoustic kit). Ghost China.  LOL