Author Topic: Question - using Y-Cables w/ dual zones  (Read 3396 times)

Question - using Y-Cables w/ dual zones
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »
My snare and tom pads are dual-zone pads with separate mono (TS) outputs for the head and rim piezos (The S&S pads). I've mostly used them as single-zone pads in the past.

Now that I own a DM10, I got 1/4" dual TS to TRS Y-Cables for each pad to send both mono outputs to the module's inputs.

It works great - both zones on each pad are dialed-in and functional now, and I'm happy with it - double the sounds! The only exception is that I can't seem to trigger both zones on a single pad simultaneously. It's not a problem for most of the pads where a tom rim doubles as a cowbell or crash, but most of the snare and snare rim sounds seem to complement each other for a full sounding rim shot. If I do a flam on a single pad and rim, they will both trigger in succession, just not right at the same time.

Questions:
1. Is it a module setting, or my wiring scheme which seems to trigger only one zone at a time when both the head and rim sections of a pad are hit at once?
2. If it is wiring, are any of the commercially-available "drum splitter" products what I need for this?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some insight... I feel like an unfrozen caveman drummer after switching from the D4 to the DM10!
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Online Hellfire

Re: Question - using Y-Cables w/ dual zones
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »
My snare and tom pads are dual-zone pads with separate mono (TS) outputs for the head and rim piezos (The S&S pads). I've mostly used them as single-zone pads in the past.

Now that I own a DM10, I got 1/4" dual TS to TRS Y-Cables for each pad to send both mono outputs to the module's inputs.

It works great - both zones on each pad are dialed-in and functional now, and I'm happy with it - double the sounds! The only exception is that I can't seem to trigger both zones on a single pad simultaneously. It's not a problem for most of the pads where a tom rim doubles as a cowbell or crash, but most of the snare and snare rim sounds seem to complement each other for a full sounding rim shot. If I do a flam on a single pad and rim, they will both trigger in succession, just not right at the same time.

Questions:
1. Is it a module setting, or my wiring scheme which seems to trigger only one zone at a time when both the head and rim sections of a pad are hit at once?
2. If it is wiring, are any of the commercially-available "drum splitter" products what I need for this?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some insight... I feel like an unfrozen caveman drummer after switching from the D4 to the DM10!
That's just how alesis products work. It is not possible to fire off both the head and rim of triggers on the same input. The Alesis Trigger I/O has this limitation as well. I know a couple of topics exist about this very subject, but I can not find them right now. This happens to be an issue with many companies modules. On a Roland only the snare input can trigger both at the same time (well, sort of).

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the response, Hellfire. That tells me the snare and snare rim sounds are not meant to be struck at the same time, and I'm not missing out on any sounds or functionality. If I really need to do this in the future I guess I could just use a separate input for the snare rim.

That feature must eliminate any possible crosstalk between a pad's head and rim though. It's probably why I'm finding both triggers to work so well independent of each other. Using 2 separate inputs for snare head and rim on the D4, there were always crosstalk issues with my pads.
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »
OR.... since you're using Y adapters, you could mix them up, reassign sounds, and one pad could trigger both pad and rim sounds.

Lemme esplain...

Tom1p, Tom1r, and Tom2p and Tom2r (where p = pad, and r = rim.)

Plug tom1p into Tom1 Y, and use Tom2r for the other side of the Tom 1 Y.  Tom2p into Tom2 Y, and use Tom1r for the other side of Tom2 Y.  Assigned correctly, you could trigger both pad and rim of Tom1 and Tom2. 

However, you'll probably drive yourself crazy with crosstalk issues.  But, I imagine they'll work.  Is the Rim a switch or Piezo?  That may make a difference for crosstalk (not sure though) if the pad is Piezo and Rim is switch.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 02:44:41 PM »
OR.... since you're using Y adapters, you could mix them up, reassign sounds, and one pad could trigger both pad and rim sounds.

Lemme esplain...

Tom1p, Tom1r, and Tom2p and Tom2r (where p = pad, and r = rim.)

Plug tom1p into Tom1 Y, and use Tom2r for the other side of the Tom 1 Y.  Tom2p into Tom2 Y, and use Tom1r for the other side of Tom2 Y.  Assigned correctly, you could trigger both pad and rim of Tom1 and Tom2. 

However, you'll probably drive yourself crazy with crosstalk issues.  But, I imagine they'll work.  Is the Rim a switch or Piezo?  That may make a difference for crosstalk (not sure though) if the pad is Piezo and Rim is switch.

Thanks for the cool idea! Also, I could run a mono line from the snare rim to a spare input and get simultaneous head/rim triggering. They're both piezos. That's the only thing I was doing with the D4, to get a cross-stick sound - there weren't enough inputs for tom rims anyways...

But the crosstalk you mention - it is indeed difficult to separate the rim and head with my pads. So I'm actually digging this functionality of the D4 - it allows nice consistent rim triggering without crosstalk.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 09:32:26 PM »
I imagine that the reason you can't trigger both at the same time is by design - to prevent crosstalk.

If you could, you'd likely have a much bigger PITA with crosstalk tweaking..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »
I imagine that the reason you can't trigger both at the same time is by design - to prevent crosstalk.

If you could, you'd likely have a much bigger PITA with crosstalk tweaking..

Definitely... I've been there! And the design works well. :)