Author Topic: recording with DM-10 Studio kit  (Read 3090 times)

recording with DM-10 Studio kit
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
Hello all,
I've been using my dm-10 studio kit to record on a Tascam 2488 neo recorder. One thing I'm noticing is that the effects I hear coming out of my amp or headphones are really weak in the recording. Toms especially sound kind of dry....not at all what I hear. The output is also noisy, and kind of weak. If I add compression at the input I can get a hotter signal without clipping, but it also boosts the noise floor....am I doing something wrong? I bought this kit just for this purpose, figured no more struggling to get great tom sounds.....I'm really disapointed. I don't want to compress....the samples seem to be compressed enough. To get a fat sound on my recording I have to really over effect the kit I hear in the monitor....any suggestions would be appreciated.  for a frame of reference, I'm running mono into one track....and all of my kit instruments are mid pan....sould I run stereo??? I'll post an MP3 later so y'all can hear it. should I post that here? or site and sound?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:48:24 PM by joet60 »
Joe T

Offline Guinness

Re: recording with DM-10 Studio kit
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »
I think Mono is the issue.  Also, you're using the Main outs, right?

I've heard compliants that the module was too hot.  This is the first I've heard it's not hot enough.  Dumb question...  you're adjusting the main volumn knob, right?

A thread in here some where, someone was trying to send different voices to different channels (L/R).   But they weren't also adjusting the B layer also, they were getting a lot of bleed.  i think someone made a mention about effects in that thread too.   Do a search for "output" (perhaps) and you'll find the thread I'm referring too.  Your answer may lay in there.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »
Does the sound you can hear when you use the monitor or headphones output of the Tascam sounds similar weak as your recordings? I've heard some disappointed user critics about the 2844 neo when it comes to recording.

I'm sitting here with a small Behringer mixer connected to the DM10 and when i connect the Behringer via audio output to my audio interface on my mac i get a clear, rich signal to record from. A little bit hot, as Guinness mentioned, but not too hot.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:56:06 AM »
Ok guys....I guess I should clarify.....the module is actually "hot"....yes I am running the mono channel out of the mains....I'm setting the output from the main out at about half.....but when I adjust the input gain at my recorder it starts to clip pretty quickly...so the module is hot...but since it's clipping so fast, I don't have a lot of play with the fader in mixdown.....I'll try to run a stereo mix tomorrow to see if that helps. The really full, round sound of the reverb and delay on the toms seems to be getting eaten up at tracking......Vaikl...thats what I was wondering....if it's just the recorder....I use a simmons amp and they sound awesome through there and in my AKG 240 headphones too. Thanks for the advice guys....Guinness, I'll do a search for that thread.....thanks guys
Joe T

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:29:22 PM »
Just a quick update to this topic....I found the thread(s) on here about getting 4 individual outputs to record with....wow what a difference!
I run the kick panned R out of the AUX, the snare panned L out of the mains, the toms panned R out of the mains and the cymbals panned L out of the AUX....it's probably a good way to run them in a live situation too...give the sound man some flexibility....Thanks for all of the suggestions....this is a great forum!
Joe T