Author Topic: Help buying electronic Drum set (DTxplorer) for use as MIDI trigger!  (Read 5188 times)

Hi guys,
First post here!
I'm in a bit of a problem which drumset to choose,

I've been looking around for electronic drumsets, so far I've spend about 1 day researching online, about which drumsets are available and how much they cost.

Ofcourse I love the Roland with their meshed pads, but I don't have the budget to spend nearly $1000 on an electronic drum set. (I read about mesh conversion kits, and will probably read up more on this the coming days).

I mainly am searching for a drum to trigger drum software on my computer, and use it to rehearse my drum skills. Nothing fancy.
In fact, I don't care at all about the internal drum samples, as I plan only to use external ones!

About 5 years ago, the landscape of electronic drums was totally different.
I was able to get an electronic drum set for less than $300, little did I know about it back then, but seemingly today all drumsets are touch sensitive, and have dual zone on some (or all) pads.

So, I've been looking around now, and the only ones available for $300 in USA are the ION drumsets, but they don't have a midi out.
It seems ION's older modules (eg: IED05) have MIDI in and out, but they are no longer sold, and the newer modules IED11 and IED12 don't have midi.

I've looked at Yoki, which has midi out, but Yoki as well as Ion Audio's drumsets don't support dualzone pads, which I think is very necessary!

This feat seemingly significantly raised the price (to $599 for a drum with dual zone)

So I looked at the Alesis DM5 Pro, and the DM6; as well as the Yamaha DTXplorer.
I know of Alesis DM5 that it has no dual zone, but I read somewhere that the DM6 has one channel (#4) that supports dual zone...

So more dissapointment for me!
I am actually looking for a module that has at least 2 dualzone inputs, one for the snare (Snare/rimshot), and another for the ride (Ride/Bell).
In fact, I had thought tripple zone pads and modules would be out by now, as I would love to have a ride with 3 sensors (one for the bell, one for mid cymbal, and one for the rim or outter edge).

So far I think the Yamaha DTXplorer is my best shot, as it supports 3 zone snare, and 2 zone cymbals.

I'm really not fond of Yamaha, and wished Alesis would have created their DM6 with a single 3 zone and a single dual zone input.
What really drew me to Alesis is, that:
1- it's not Yamaha, and
2- Even without hearing the samples, I can already imagine Alesis to sound better than Yamaha. I've really never been fond of Yamaha's sterile sound on nearly ALL their instruments, so I won't be surprised if this drumset would sound sterile, and not so nice. But that won't matter much when I plug it into my drum software. (for those who want to know I'm probably going for Kore's Pop drums, and Abbey Road '80's drum kit.)
3- It has a MIDI over USB, which is interesting, because then I won't need to purchase an external midi soundcard!
I really don't care about zones for the toms, hihat and kick, as I won't be using more than the basic setting.

So I read that the Yamaha DTXplorer set of 599 has a module supporting the multizone pads, but now I need to find the hardware (cymbal and snare).

Since I'm so fond of Roland (but they are too expensive), I was thinking I could get a Roland mesh snare (8" is good enough for me), and a 3 zone cymbal somewhere.

But here are some issues:

1- I've read somewhere that Roland pads are not compatible with the Yamaha module, is that correct?
Some people are saying that the signal of certain pads are too hot, causing you to have to drum very softly, or too cold, causing you to have to slam too hard on the pads, to get a normal sound. Is that a verified issue?

2- Can I plug a 3 zone cymbal (and which brand/type) into the 3zone snare input, and use the 2 zone cymbal input for snare? In other words, can I change the software in the module to fit my setup, or is the 3zone (for snare) input only meant to plug a snare pad into it?

Sorry for the long question, and thank you for your help!

Offline Guinness

Re: Help buying electronic Drum set (DTxplorer) for use as MIDI trigger!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »
Wow that was a long post.   Welcome to the forum.

There's folks here who can better answer your question than I, but have you looked at the Alesis USB kit?  Since you're using VST, that may be the best choice.  (studio is $599, pro is $699)

The ion and dm6, imo, are the same.  I had the ion one, and it broke pretty darn quickly.  Then I moved onto the DM5, but that didn't suit my needs.  Now I have the DM10 and like it alot.  But I don't do VST so it's overkill for what you're seeking.

As you pointed out, you can convert the heads to mesh.  I prefer the roland mesh heads, but they can be a bit pricey.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
Thanks for the quick response!

The set and specs look really tempting!
However, I prefer to have silent cymbals.

It would mean I'd have to find 2 compatible pads (one crash and one dual zone ride cymbal).

*Edit: Is it possible to paste some foam underneath the cymbals to reduce their volume?; or is there some way I could reduce (or if possible, nearly nullify) the sound coming from the cymbals?*
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:12:00 PM by ProDigit »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:21:10 PM »
Thanks for the quick response!

The set and specs look really tempting!
However, I prefer to have silent cymbals.

It would mean I'd have to find 2 compatible pads (one crash and one dual zone ride cymbal).

*Edit: Is it possible to paste some foam underneath the cymbals to reduce their volume?; or is there some way I could reduce (or if possible, nearly nullify) the sound coming from the cymbals?*
I think you might be looking at the wrong USB kit. If you are looking at the USB studio kit, it comes with rubber/plastic cymbals. Here's a pic:

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
Thank you,
I was looking at the USBpro instead of the USB studio.
It seems this USB studio drumset is $599, about the max I can give for it, and since I have the pc and sample soft, it has all I ever could need to play studio (or live)!

It seems to come with Alesis' Trigger IO, which has MIDI over usb, as well as a hardware midi out.

It seems to have upto 10 pad inputs, great for upgrades later on.
Are all pad inputs dual zone compatible, or do dual zone pad cables need to be split?

I also would like to know (if I ever would do the purchase) if the Roland meshed snare drum (PDX-8) would be compatible with this controller?

Also, I read that the IO module could choke. Is this a well known issue? (eg not able to send all the notes correctly over USB)?
Just how many commands would I need to send to choke it?
I suspect if I'd hit a closed hi-hat, kick, and snare at the same time, it would not choke(over midi), would it?

Sorry for the many questions  :-[
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:15:58 PM by ProDigit »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
Thank you,
I was looking at the USBpro instead of the USB studio.
It seems this USB studio drumset is $599, about the max I can give for it, and since I have the pc and sample soft, it has all I ever could need to play studio (or live)!

It seems to come with Alesis' Trigger IO, which has MIDI over usb, as well as a hardware midi out.

It seems to have upto 10 pad inputs, great for upgrades later on.
Are all pad inputs dual zone compatible, or do dual zone pad cables need to be split?

I also would like to know (if I ever would do the purchase) if the Roland meshed snare drum (PDX-8) would be compatible with this controller?

Also, I read that the IO module could choke. Is this a well known issue? (eg not able to send all the notes correctly over USB)?
Just how many commands would I need to send to choke it?
I suspect if I'd hit a closed hi-hat, kick, and snare at the same time, it would not choke(over midi), would it?

Sorry for the many questions  :-[
The Roland PDX-8 should work. You will have to dial it in once you connect it up. The I/O can choke. However, it uses a choke note. So, you will just need to set that up in your software. How to do that? I'm not sure, I just know it can be done.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:09:01 AM »
@hellfire:
Thank you for your reply.
With choke I was meaning if ever polyphony would cut out (eg: too many commands at a time). If I'm correct, I think I saw the Alesis running polyphony of 32 notes, and on my software on average I run 3 samples per pad (that'd be 'choking' the midi bus when playing 10 notes at a time).
If I'm correct, that was what I was referring to.
I did not know that choking the cymbal was a term used in electric drumming, and was not referring to that.
But thanks for your comment.

So to rephrase, am I correct in saying that the polyphony of most drum triggers is not an issue with the Alesis module?