Author Topic: I'm Not as Stoopid as You Look?  (Read 2601 times)

I'm Not as Stoopid as You Look?
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
Greetings, lady and gentlemen of the forum. I hope you all are doing well. Some, better than others, but all, better than ye.
Speaking of ye, ye have a question. Or, ye HAS a question... Ye don't know.
Let's just that it's a friend. A friend of ye's.
This "friend" just got five new (new as in used) PD7s. These are dual zone Poland pads that are pretty cool. In fact, they are so cool, they let me know how wrong I was about the whole "dual zone" concept. Him. How wrong HE was. Not ye. Ye am never wrong.
Man, I'm glad we don't talk like that anymore. Well, I'm glad yall don't talk like that any more. Evidently, ye still do. So I can't really say we. Not if I'm the only one who still refers to myself in the first person as "Ye".
Yall used to talk like that? Man. Yall probably sounded kinda stupid. No wonder you don't talk like that anymore.
Ooh. Do yall remember the "long S"? Man. That was a confusing letter. It looked just like a cursive F, but it sounded like "ss". Like, for example, the word, "Dissolves". It would be spelled, "Deffolves". Isn't that kinda weird? And the rules for using a regular S were quite confusing. No wonder no one could read back in the 1700's.
I can dig it.
But, anyway. I just figured these pads would have two piezos and a stereo output. I figured I could just come out with a Y and plug the tip into one input and the ring into another. i had no idea that the module had to be made for it.
Can somebody please splain to ye the way this dual trigger method works? Me no comprenday the whole "dual zone" concept.

Thanks.

Oh... As long as I have you here, is there another place I could order internal parts for the DM5? The website "http://www.instrumentalparts.com/aldm5mosppa.html" does not have the part I need to get it going.
Or if one of yall have something like this laying around somewhere, ye would be happy to purchase it. I'm on a horse.

Thank you. And have a wonderful tomorrow.
When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

Re: I'm Not as Stoopid as You Look?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »
Haha. I said Poland. I meant to say Roland. Really, I did.

Insert joke here:
When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »
Are you using the DM5? If so, all the inputs are single zone, you wouldn't be able to use dual zones.

Rev.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »
You can use the DM5, but you're going to fill up the inputs pretty quick, as each pad will take up two inputs.  Then it's just a matter of choosing the voice you want for each trigger of the dual zone.   You wouldn't have to do that with the DM10, as all but one (I think) inputs are TRS.

Anways, ye hopef that helpf.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:56 AM »
Hey G-Man. my DM5 is temporarily out of commission until I get a chip for it. I'm using a D4, an iDM02, and some kind of Simmons module.
When I was bidding on the pads I thought I'd be able to split the out to two different modules, but it wont trigger the 2nd module. I can't get anything from the secondary piezo circuit. Even if they're plugged into the same module. Should I be able to do it with the D4? I wonder if the cord I'm using is bad. Hmm...
Thanks for your quick response. I'm gonna go mess with stuff.
A12

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:18 AM »
Let me see if I can shed some light on the subject.

Dual zone triggers come in two flavors: piezo/piezo and piezo/switch
Older Alesis modules like the D4 can only work with a piezo zone. A PD7 happens to be a piezo/switch pad. Meaning the edge of the trigger is just an "on" or "off" switch. No piezo on the zone. You would still need a TRS cable but if your module can't read a switch, the second zone is no good to you. I hope that helps. You would need a newer Alesis module (like a Trigger I/O or DM10) to be able to use the switch zone. I hope that helps.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »
Hey doods. I appreciate yalls input on this.
I ended up bidding on a module, wait... I just won it.
So... I have this new module that is supposed to work with these dual zone pad things. And I think it uses a variable hi-hat controller that I'm looking forward to building. I'm sure I will have a bunch of stupid questions for you.

Oh. I emailed Alesis about the part I need for my DM5, and they actually responded. Holy crap. I didn't know companies still did that. Yay! Hopefully this guy can hook me up. I've got his email if you need it.

Once again, I appreciate yalls help. Yall are hells of some guys.

A12