Author Topic: Questions Before Buying DM10 Studio  (Read 2613 times)

Questions Before Buying DM10 Studio
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
Hi Guys,

Been playing drums since I was 4, but I've only got to play an electric kit maybe three times. Where I'm living now, I really need to ditch my acoustic and go electric, but there isn't anywhere within 3 or 4 hours of here that I can play/buy one, so I've scoured the internet and it seems the DM10 Studio is a great kit, and fits in my budget. I have a few questions from what I've read online that would be nice to know from someone who actually owns one of these kits, before I order it.

First is the cord length on the pads & cymbals. I've heard that it's nearly impossible to get the kit setup in a clean fashion, since the cords are just a hair too short, and it takes tweaking of the brain's position and kit to get everything connected. How true is that?

Also, I'm going to be putting this on carpet. Is it still going to be stable enough, or will I have to put a board under it?

I have more questions, but I can't think of them now. If a DM10 Studio owner could answer these for me, I would really appreciate it.

Online Hellfire

Re: Questions Before Buying DM10 Studio
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
Hi Guys,

Been playing drums since I was 4, but I've only got to play an electric kit maybe three times. Where I'm living now, I really need to ditch my acoustic and go electric, but there isn't anywhere within 3 or 4 hours of here that I can play/buy one, so I've scoured the internet and it seems the DM10 Studio is a great kit, and fits in my budget. I have a few questions from what I've read online that would be nice to know from someone who actually owns one of these kits, before I order it.

First is the cord length on the pads & cymbals. I've heard that it's nearly impossible to get the kit setup in a clean fashion, since the cords are just a hair too short, and it takes tweaking of the brain's position and kit to get everything connected. How true is that?

Also, I'm going to be putting this on carpet. Is it still going to be stable enough, or will I have to put a board under it?

I have more questions, but I can't think of them now. If a DM10 Studio owner could answer these for me, I would really appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum charleszinkmedia. I know there are a couple of studio owners around here. I'm sure they will chime in soon. I can tell you that the cable snake is fixed. The cords are sized for a standard drum configuration. There is some play when it come to trigger placement. I hope that helps.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »
Hey, you made it over here from YouTube.  Cool.  Welcome to the forum.   :)

As I mentioned on YT, the cables that came with my kit (Pro) were fine.  But as HF points out, that is for a standard configuration.  If you do something different, you may need different patch cords.   But those are easy enough to get without breaking the bank.

Have fun!

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
I have the DM10 Studio kit and I have it set up on a carpet with no stability issues at all.

As far as the cable length is concerned if you are going to set up anything different than the default way that Alesis shows you might have issues. I set up my kit up differently than Alesis and put my module on the right side of the rack. I did end up having to buy one new cable for my setup because the cables weren't long enough. I also ended up swapping around the existing cables based on length and type. For instance I swapped my hihat cable with the 2nd non chokeable cymbal's cable because it was longer. The main thing is to make sure you swap a trs cable with another trs cable or a ts cable with another ts cable.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
Thanks everyone :) Sounds like some of the reviews I read were written by idiots  :D Thanks to Guinness for telling me about the forums! There's a ton of great info over here.

I'll let you know how it all goes once I order it this Friday.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:22:40 PM »
On carpet here too and no problems with stability at all. Also, the cable length thing, well everybody here covered it for the most part. You can simply switch the cables around as you need so long as you use the TRS for TRS and TS for TS. However, if the cable length is ever an issue I just have to say you can simply buy new ones. Hosa sells them for relatively cheap and Radio Shack even cheaper! The included cables on all brands of E-kits are pretty cheap, they're just cheapo plastic cables. So you could simply buy a whole new set for like $50 at a greater length than you'd ever need. But of course you would only need a few as not all cables would be too short. I never got why people made this such a big issue in some of the reviews I've read.

Rev.