Author Topic: roland mesh heads or other mesh heads? which to buy  (Read 3802 times)

Offline H3RB

roland mesh heads or other mesh heads? which to buy
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »
ok so on my dm5 pro kit im using mesh heads made buy Z-ED they are single ply and they feel so weird when playing. ive bought myself the dm10 studio kit and when it arrives i want to add the mesh heads.
i really dont like the feel of the mesh heads im using atm so wanted to try some different ones. the place i bought my dm10 kit from sells 10" and 8" roland mesh heads but they are £29 each....
are they really worth it? is there that much difference? if not can somebody recommend a decent mesh head? i like the look of the billy blast heads with the patch but i live in the uk so im not sure that i can get them over here atleast not without stupid amounts of shipping.
so what do you guys recommend?

Re: roland mesh heads or other mesh heads? which to buy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
I made my own for my kit and they're holding up and working great!
i followed this guide

http://www.edrums.info/5.htm

i used pet screen found at lowes but im sure there has to be an equivalent at a local hardware store or home improvement store.

lots of people use the sunscreen? or solar screen for the top layer because its a little tougher, im still not even sure where to purchase this though.

much cheaper than buying them and for 8" or 10" heads it wouldn't take very long at all to make them. just remember to cover them with another layer of screen (not attached to the rim) and they should last for a while.

but mine are for my a to e conversion im not sure if the same set up would fit the pads, but you could always forget the extra layer and buy a patch, this would match the billy blast look you're going for.

Offline Guinness

Re: roland mesh heads or other mesh heads? which to buy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
There's a pretty good review of mesh heads in the April edition of: http://www.digitaldrummermag.com/