Author Topic: double trigger with mesh heads (bass)  (Read 5166 times)

Offline H3RB

double trigger with mesh heads (bass)
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:46:22 PM »
ive replaced all of my dm5 pro heads with mesh heads. i have one problem tho, my bass is double hitting.  ive lowered the velocity down to 1 (DM5 module) so i cant go any lower but im still getting double hits. ive tried loosening the mesh head so its less bouncy, adjusting the placement of my beater and the tension spring but nothing is making much difference.
any body got any ideas that i could try? its driving me mad :(

Re: double trigger with mesh heads (bass)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »
Increase the kick's Decay (DEC). Depending on how fast you play, you might have to mess with it a bit to get it to stop the doubles and not miss any hits.

And if you bury your beater (i.e.: leave it pressed against the head between hits), stop it.  ;)

Offline H3RB

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
im learning double bass atm so cant mess with the decay too much. i always bury it but the problem is that now with the mesh heads they are really bouncy and when i bury the beater it bounces back a cm or so and re triggers it. ive dropped the sensitivity down to 1 so ic ant make it any lower. ill try the decay tho as atm i have 2 pedals with seperate inputs so hopefully that will help

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:15:42 AM »
im certainly no expert on the triggering aspect, but i can see where burying the head could easily cause this problem.

On a side note, if you bury the head on acoustic drums it also causes a pretty noticeable change in the sound so all in all it might be best to work on technique a bit more and solve both problems. This will help you reduce the double triggers, and if you're playing an acoustic set you can avoid the odd sounding thud from a beater that's hitting a deadened head from the other beater being pressed in against it (sometimes its virtually not noticeable depending on your dampening, but on my acoustic set it stands out pretty well when i bury the beater)

i suppose if this doesn't help you could try and maybe loosen the head a little to reduce some of the bounce or install a variable resistance to dial down some sensitivity, but i would personally worry more about the double bass technique

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:39:43 PM »
Is the trigger in the center of the drum?  how close to the trigger does the bass beater hit?  I find that the trigger needs to be away from where the beater hits because the beater will bounce slightly.  if you can move the trigger closer to the edge of the drum.  also, you can maybe loosen the head to have less bounce.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.