Author Topic: DM10 MK II Pro support for multi-zone HH  (Read 886 times)

DM10 MK II Pro support for multi-zone HH
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
During my compiling of the Voices list for this module I noticed that there are edge hi-hat sounds available in the module in addition to standard bow and pedal sounds. Since this kit comes with only a single zone 12" hi-hat pad I tried swapping out my 14" dual-zone crash cymbal for the hi-hat and was able to access both regular bow and edge sounds with it. Does this mean that if I buy a 12" or 14" dual-zone pad I can use it for my hi-hat and have access to both bow and edge hi-hat sounds? I think it would, but want to be sure before plunking any money down. ;D

Offline Chaser

Re: DM10 MK II Pro support for multi-zone HH
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 04:55:58 PM »
During my compiling of the Voices list for this module I noticed that there are edge hi-hat sounds available in the module in addition to standard bow and pedal sounds. Since this kit comes with only a single zone 12" hi-hat pad I tried swapping out my 14" dual-zone crash cymbal for the hi-hat and was able to access both regular bow and edge sounds with it. Does this mean that if I buy a 12" or 14" dual-zone pad I can use it for my hi-hat and have access to both bow and edge hi-hat sounds? I think it would, but want to be sure before plunking any money down. ;D

That's good news as it means the MIDI map is also correct for those that want to use Software etc.
The Original DM10 module had  similar MIDI mapping but was hardwired single zone so you could never use a dual zone cymbal.

I don't know why the DM10 MKII didn't have a dual zone Hi Hat Cymbal shipped with the kit if it supports actually supports and Alesis surely would have bragged/mentioned on the product description page it was dual zone.

There were a number of retailers also bundling with the Pro-X Hi Hat (discontinued) which is a standalone (Hi Hat stand) (2) piece but it  was also single zone.It is also FSR instead of being Softpot/membrane..It almost seems like they were blowing out inventory.

You shouldn't have any trouble using dual zone cymbals as long as you stick to Alesis or Piezo/switch..be careful of mix/matching others such as Yamaha etc which have proprietary wiring.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »
Yeah, makes no sense that those voices would be in there, but unavailable to use because they cheaped out on the hi-hat cymbal. That leads me to think even more that this module is something they cobbled together from something else and not a dedicated module designed expressly for this kit. I am looking at a couple of used 12" dual zone cymbals on eBay. They are no longer available new, so I would have to go 14" if I want a new one. Don't think I want to go that big for a hi-hat.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 03:10:30 PM »
Yeah, makes no sense that those voices would be in there, but unavailable to use because they cheaped out on the hi-hat cymbal. That leads me to think even more that this module is something they cobbled together from something else and not a dedicated module designed expressly for this kit. I am looking at a couple of used 12" dual zone cymbals on eBay. They are no longer available new, so I would have to go 14" if I want a new one. Don't think I want to go that big for a hi-hat.

The DM10 MKII Pro hasn't had much info/support since it's release.
That's where this forum comes in.
Hellfire created this forum over a decade ago because of lack of support and Alesis still isn't interested in it..
Although there have be quite a few DM10 MKII Pro users here many didn't participate in adding information..
For example..since you joined and participated and answering a few questions there is now....
1) a Voice list..
2) Bi-directional Audio has been confirmed..
3) Dual Zone Hi Hat had been confirmed..

3 important pieces of information in a matter of days...

Search ebay for NEW Alesis 12" crash or cymbal shows there is one currently available...with boom/arm.
I still see them listed under Drum Accessories on the Alesis site..but not in the Alesis Store , where you can buy direct... probably back ordered as COVID has slowed down a lot of shipments.

EDIT:
I see the same seller is offering the 12" Hi Hat NEW and listed as Dual Zone which we know it is not...
I checked the images for the DMPad 12" Dual Zone for sale/link and it is correctly labeled DMPad 12" Crash Cymbal

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:23:10 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »
That's the seller I'm buying it from. He lowered the price for me to not include the hardware, which I don't need. Will report back once I get it.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »
Just to update this thread, I now have a dual-zone hi-hat with bow and edge voicings. I use the edge for standard hi-hat open/closed with the pedal and the bow uses a closed hi-hat sound for when I want to use my double-bass pedal much like I would with a regular hi-hat stand and clutch and don't want an open hi-hat sound. Takes a little getting used to switching from hitting the edge to just the bow, but not hard once you train your brain.

Offline Den

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 06:51:40 AM »
I have a DM10 MKII Pro kit and I followed your post and connected my Crash 1 cymbal to the Hi Hat cable and only the Hi Hat Bow was recognised. I then removed the plug that was in the 2nd Cr1 socket and then Hi Hat Bow and Crash Edge were recognised. How did you get the Hi Hat Edge to be recognised instead of Crash Edge?