Author Topic: Solacious Solution for the Drumually Challenged?  (Read 2950 times)

Solacious Solution for the Drumually Challenged?
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:47:13 PM »
Hello, lady and gentlemen of the forum. I've been reading a little bit about this software that some of yall really seem to appreciate. You just go from the MIDI out on your module to the MIDI in on your laptop, and badda bing. Anything from Bonhams heavy sound to Neil Pearts old Slingerland kit can be the sound you achieve with your kit because of the magic of digital communication.
I know what MIDI is, but I don't know enough about it to know how to go about answering my own question.
Hell... I barely know enough about it to know any questions to ask.
But I'm using three modules. Mainly for the difference in cymbal sounds. As soon as I get my DM5 to jive, I plan on dropping the Simmons SDHB2. But that still leaves me with three because of the cymbals on the iMD02.
But what my question is, is there a way to connect these three modules together so they could communicate with my PC as if they were all the same module?
See? I don't even know how to ask this. But lets just say that you were on a deserted island with this kit. And you've got this really awesome software on your new computer. You've got 19 triggers, three modules, and anything you need to connect anything to anything.
How would you do it? How would you make it to where each pad would trigger it's assigned sound?
And a more challenging question...
If you CAN do it, do you have the skill and patience needed to communicate to someone like myself how to go about doing it and understanding what I'm doing as I do it? I'm not an idiot or anything, but I may have a touch of stupid flowing through my blood line. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:23:04 AM by AnubisXII »
When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

Offline ghostman

Re: Solacious Solution for the Drumually Challenged?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
okay, I assume all of your modules have MIDI OUT.  That's how you get on module to talk to your MIDI source on your laptop.  but that's only one module.

Look at the back of your modules, or your user manuals.  see if you have MIDI IN on any of them, and more specifically - MIDI THRU.  Usually, if you have MIDI IN, the same port says MIDI IN / THRU.

Essentially, you need to:
  • plug a MIDI cable from Module 1 from MIDI OUT, to Module 2 to MIDI IN / THRU
  • plug a MIDI cable from Module 2 from MIDI OUT, to Module 3 to MIDI IN / THRU
  • plug a MIDI cable from Module 3 from MIDI OUT, to your laptop

The MIDI THRU should pass the MIDI signal from module to module to the laptop.

If you don't have MIDI THRU - you will need a MIDI hub.  similar to a USB hub, where you plug several MIDI devices into MIDI IN's, and the hub ans one or two MIDI OUT's.  in your case at least 3ins, 1 out.  Some are adapter cables that are MIDI on one end (your modules) and USB on the other (for your computer).

example of a MIDI hub:
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/MIDI-Solutions-Quadra-Merge?sku=702503
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
Answer Part 2.
Once you have the MIDI cabling settled.  just program the modules to utilize unique MIDI notes for each sound on the super-fantastic-awesome software you got on the computer.

Each sound will have a MIDI note assigned to it, each module should let you program the input / pad / cymbal to a MIDI note.  mix n match!

However, if you have two modules sending the same MIDI note, you will get cut-off.  so if you have 2 crash cymbals and they are both sending the same MIDI note number, and you hit them one after the other, you will get the second one cutting off the first.  Come to think of it, this will happen even from ONE module, because that's how MIDI works.  it's the same of you repeatedly hit the same pad over and over again.

Good times, and good luck, I hope I helped.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »
Hey cool, man. Thanks. I haven't got the killer-bad software yet. But now I know that I will be able to use it the way I want. And since the program supplies the sound, I should be able to drop one module! Yay!
But I'm all new to this whole drum thing and have no idea what's good, or what sucks. Any recommendations? Any good downloads or trial software out there anywhere? I'll probably eventually go to The Guitar Center once I know whats going on, but right now I have no idea whats going on.
And thanks for your input.
When you see a mime doing that Trapped in a Box thing, I think a funny thing to do is punch him in the throat.
A12

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
until the end of Feb, you can get Steven Slate Drums EX for $20 - normally $99.

Go to the VST section - you'll see the thread in there.

It's a great start for $20!!!