Author Topic: Yesterday, I ordered this.  (Read 1770 times)

Yesterday, I ordered this.
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:05:16 AM »
I've had it with the ghost notes produced when the stock hi-hat goes to full open position. No mechanical or programming adjustment seems able to cure this malady. I did contact Alesis with no response.

Yesterday, I ordered this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UBGYBTO/

with delivery scheduled for ...... March 16, 2020 😕

Re: Yesterday, I ordered this.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »
I'm not an expert on this but I've done reading on the GoEdrum controller in the past. I don't think that's the one you want. That description says "This eHi-Hat controller can work together with Roland V-drum modules only, can't work with Yamaha or KAT or Alesis or other brand drum modules."

You want the GHC-AN: https://www.amazon.com/Goedrum-Electronic-Hi-Hat-Controller-eDrums/dp/B07Y1GJDDW/ref=pd_cp_267_1/133-5374848-1879458?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07Y1GJDDW&pd_rd_r=624cf924-2a3a-400a-bc04-8f340a450d87&pd_rd_w=2Agke&pd_rd_wg=iA0l1&pf_rd_p=4853e837-f87a-46d4-be32-dcf86bff7a7c&pf_rd_r=W9D33TAJZFJ85ADFS374&psc=1&refRID=W9D33TAJZFJ85ADFS374

I ordered the GoEdrum controller a long time ago for my Crimson, before they were producing the GHC-AN I think. Couldn't get it to work right. They refunded me and let me keep it.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 09:45:17 AM »
I recently bought a full set of used Strike cymbals from Reverb, mostly I wanted the 16" ride and 14" crashes. But the hi-hat that came with it is the older 2-piece version. Do all Strike kits now now come with a 1-piece and controller or just the SE? I knew, before I bought, from reading that I was going to have trouble with this thing because of the included spring. Thing is, I've tried the fixes and my pro-x is still miles better than this and working quite well.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline Iggford

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »
I recently bought a full set of used Strike cymbals from Reverb, mostly I wanted the 16" ride and 14" crashes. But the hi-hat that came with it is the older 2-piece version. Do all Strike kits now now come with a 1-piece and controller or just the SE? I knew, before I bought, from reading that I was going to have trouble with this thing because of the included spring. Thing is, I've tried the fixes and my pro-x is still miles better than this and working quite well.

I honestly think it has something to do with the thickness and weight of the top cymbal.  The Pro-X was basically the same setup, but the top cymbal was much lighter.  I think that's why they started sending out the updated springs.  Although I never was able to get mine just right even with the new spring.  Do you have the black spring or the silver one?

I use my Pro-X with my practice kit, a DM10 Studio, but I transport the module between the two.  The Pro-X works much better with the Strike module than the Strike hats.  To be honest, though, I've had the best results with the older DM10 Hat and RealHat pedal.  Works great for practice at least.  I've got a Gen16 hat on my stage kit.

--
Shawn

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:06:51 PM »
I honestly think it has something to do with the thickness and weight of the top cymbal.  The Pro-X was basically the same setup, but the top cymbal was much lighter.  I think that's why they started sending out the updated springs.  Although I never was able to get mine just right even with the new spring.  Do you have the black spring or the silver one?

Both the Pro-X and the Strike hat have the black spring. Can I reach out to Alesis for a silver spring at no charge? Is it even worth it? I would like to use the strike hat ... a little because I paid for it as part of the set, a little because it looks better (silly reason but here we are). I am trying to get it to work better but not getting "worked" up about it since I have the pro-x.

The top cymbal of the pro-x actually has slightly different construction than the Strike top cymbal on the underside, most importantly the center of the cymbal where the spring will make contact. I think it's the biggest reason that same black spring does not cut it on the Strike.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »

Both the Pro-X and the Strike hat have the black spring. Can I reach out to Alesis for a silver spring at no charge? Is it even worth it? I would like to use the strike hat ... a little because I paid for it as part of the set, a little because it looks better (silly reason but here we are). I am trying to get it to work better but not getting "worked" up about it since I have the pro-x.

The top cymbal of the pro-x actually has slightly different construction than the Strike top cymbal on the underside, most importantly the center of the cymbal where the spring will make contact. I think it's the biggest reason that same black spring does not cut it on the Strike.

Alesis was sending out the chrome spring free...to "registered" module owners..so registered the module under your account.

The STRIKE top cymbal is dual zone...the Pro-X top is single zone.
The reason for the spring update was the compression rate.
The black spring had coil bind and compressed the FSR wafer before the top cymbal would compress the 3 sensors on the bottom..
How to improve the Strike Hi-hat controller
There is more info in the topic including the ranges of hi hat controllers.

All the triggers for the STRIKE module are Linear as default...try experimenting with the pedal curve.
If  you  prefer  to  hear  more  closed  or   semi-open   sounds,   choose   one   of   the   logarithmic curves (Log 1–4).
If you prefer a more open  sound,  choose  an  exponential  curve  (Exp 1–4).

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 08:25:09 AM »
Just checked, I have a silver (chromed?) spring with a black plastic piece on top of the spring.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 01:02:16 PM »
Just checked, I have a silver (chromed?) spring with a black plastic piece on top of the spring.

That is the updated spring.

I've had it with the ghost notes produced when the stock hi-hat goes to full open position. No mechanical or programming adjustment seems able to cure this malady. I did contact Alesis with no response.

Usually this is because the Threshold setting is too low...if it's triggering while striking other triggers it's cross talk..
Do you have the top cymbal resting on the spring (recommended) or suspended off of it.
Which kit or HH preset ?..can you tell if the the ghost note sounds like?.. bow or edge and does the display/trigger light up?