Author Topic: How to see or change MIDI channel on Alesis DM10 MKii Pro?  (Read 1602 times)

So I've been experimenting with connecting an Alesis DM10 MKii Pro e-kit to my Windows 10 laptop via the USB Midi output on the Alesis, so I can connect it to drum VSTs such as EZ Drummer Steven Slate Drums etc. I either use the VSTs as standalone versions or within a DAW such as Cubase or Ableton. It seems to work fine, but I was wondering is there a way to check which MIDI channel the Alesis is sending on? Is there a menu on the Alesis drum module where I can see or change the MIDI output channel, or is it set automatically? Thanks.

Offline Chaser

Re: How to see or change MIDI channel on Alesis DM10 MKii Pro?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »
So I've been experimenting with connecting an Alesis DM10 MKii Pro e-kit to my Windows 10 laptop via the USB Midi output on the Alesis, so I can connect it to drum VSTs such as EZ Drummer Steven Slate Drums etc. I either use the VSTs as standalone versions or within a DAW such as Cubase or Ableton. It seems to work fine, but I was wondering is there a way to check which MIDI channel the Alesis is sending on? Is there a menu on the Alesis drum module where I can see or change the MIDI output channel, or is it set automatically? Thanks.

The GM (General MIDI) Standard for drums/percussion is Channel 10.
The majority of drum modules have this as the Global (default/Fixed) channel for sending MIDI..including the DM10 MKII Pro.
Drum modules with a GM section (GM Kits/GM Backing Instruments/ will recognize/receive MIDI channels 1-16 in GM Mode.Some modules like the original DM10 used Channel 1 for accompaniment.The STRIKE module is one of the few where you have a Global MIDI Channel and can also change the MIDI channel per voice

MIDIOX (Win) or MIDI Monitor (macOS) are the most commonly used MIDI tools.