Author Topic: using multiple strike pro brains  (Read 715 times)

using multiple strike pro brains
« on: March 31, 2022, 10:47:43 AM »
I have a large MIDI kit that I'm using two strike pro brains for. In order to keep them on a single track in my DAW I need one of them to transmit and receive information on a separate MIDI channel. I tried setting the global MIDI setting to channel 2 on the second brain but this did not do the trick. When looking at the streaming information coming directly from the unit the unit is still sending MIDI information on channel 1.

I can go into the Strikec Pro software and manually edit each of the zones to channel 2 and this works. However I need to do this for all kits in the brain. Does anyone know if there is a way through a system exclusive or something that I could make all of these changes in one fell swoop. That is to say I want to change the MIDI channel to channel 2 for all zones on all kits and save them as user kits.

Seems kind of ridiculous that there isn't a global setting for this. Am I missing something?

Offline Chaser

Re: using multiple strike pro brains
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 01:08:42 PM »
I have a large MIDI kit that I'm using two strike pro brains for. In order to keep them on a single track in my DAW I need one of them to transmit and receive information on a separate MIDI channel. I tried setting the global MIDI setting to channel 2 on the second brain but this did not do the trick. When looking at the streaming information coming directly from the unit the unit is still sending MIDI information on channel 1.

I can go into the Strikec Pro software and manually edit each of the zones to channel 2 and this works. However I need to do this for all kits in the brain. Does anyone know if there is a way through a system exclusive or something that I could make all of these changes in one fell swoop. That is to say I want to change the MIDI channel to channel 2 for all zones on all kits and save them as user kits.

Seems kind of ridiculous that there isn't a global setting for this. Am I missing something?

Short answer ..No..
Sysex is for Trigger settings only.
The MIDI Channel setting under Utility is for MIDI IN only.
The STRIKE Module is Multi-Channel MIDI OUT so you can assign individual MIDI channel for each Voice for multi-track recording and the settings are saved to the Kit file(.skt).There is no way to edit Kit (.skt) files other than editing/saving directly on the module or in the STRIKE Editor.
Older or less advanced modules are limited to a single MIDI Channel(In and Out) and a majority have fixed MIDI Note/Channel assignments so you have to build keymaps in the software/vst you are using.
Some of the older modules had a Drum MIDI channel (default 10) and accompaniment MIDI channel (default 1).
Usually when recording drums it's on multiple tracks.You don't mention recording audio directly from the module(s) or why MIDI is being transmitted back to one module (remote triggering?) so I don't know why you would need to change the MIDI for 130+ kits if you are using Vst etc.You only need a Blank User kit(No Instruments assigned to the Voices) with MIDI channels and Key/MIDI Mapping to match the software.

There is no mention of how you are using the modules..chained together (5 pin) then USB..all 5 pin to an interface or MIDI patchbay..or both USB and identified as separate devices in the DAW..or which DAW you are using..some have more MIDI capabilities than others including MIDI filtering , splitting a MIDI channel etc.I still use programmable MIDI patchbays as I still have MIDI gear from the 1980's/1990's etc and it's easier to use a programmable MIDI patchbay than to go through each device some which have it's MIDI "fixed"