Author Topic: Hello from a newcomer !  (Read 1019 times)

Hello from a newcomer !
« on: April 28, 2021, 03:42:17 AM »
Hi

I'm 40, and new to edrums, and very new to alesis !

Here's my story :
A few times ago (5 years...) I decided to build my own edrums from scratch. The plan was to create pads from 10" toms cut in half, make my own mesh heads from window mesh, and even my own trigger system with sound (arduino + rpi based).

I made my pads, they look great, and was about to build a rack... That was the difficult part, and I did not figured which way to go...
Owning a 3D Printer, I tried to print tube connectors, but it was a pain....

Then some events came and I had to put this whole project aside....

I woke up a few weeks ago, and decided to take this project to its end !

So I gave up on the rack; found an used Roland rack for 65€ near me.
The project was now running again :)

There were still some steps : cymbals, hi-hat, and sound....
The arduino boards are in a drawer, but even if the code is almost finished (triggering is almost 100% OK), the hardest part of it was still to write : hihat "chick" detection, and some other stuffs...
I gave up on this part, and decided to go the TriggerIO way, and build an standalone RPI "sampler". I have a folder full of very good quality samples on my hard drive...

Then, seeking for a triggerIO, I found a DM10 module, and decided it would be a quicker way of having something that just -WORKS-....
So, bought a DM10 module :D

Now, I still have to make some cymbals. I have 4 plastic cymbals : "STAGG CPB-14" that I must fit some piezzo and switches....
I have a hihat foot/stand that I must equip with some kind of detection... While I thought of a Hall sensor when I was about to build my own arduino system, it seems those sensors are not compatible with DM10.... So I think I'll design some kind of goedrum / vh11 copy, but with a pignon, rack and a rotating pot inside (like Whawha and volume pedals...) : having a 3D printer is really a chance in this kind of problems !
Yes, I choose to not go the FSR way, they are expensive and hard to source here in france, at least for cheap !!

So I'm almost done... I still have to equip the cymbals (have to find a way to make film switch, and how to wire them properly...) but the projet is almost finish....

And last but not least... learn to play !! I can just make some basic rythms (I played in a band 20 years ago... was a guitar player, but loved to put my back on the drummer seat for fun !).

Hope to read all you soon !