Author Topic: 5 tom DM10X  (Read 2478 times)

5 tom DM10X
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »
Using the bass drum pad as an 8" tom instead.
Got the idea from a guide on this forum a couple of years ago.
Very comfortable to play  :)

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: 5 tom DM10X
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
Very cool!
Yeah, I love the idea of having one of those 8" toms!

I've been looking at those new inexpensive mesh head kits from Alesis that are coming out in March: Surge and COmmand, for their three 8" (plus 8" bass) toms and one 10" snare to add to my DM10X, so I'd have three 8" toms and three 10" toms... and then scatter those little cymbals around. I'd love how well that would fill out my rack.

The major problem for me being two-fold:

a - neither manual is clear as to whether we can change the MIDI NOTE SENT for the triggers. It does say that there is a MIDI NOTE parameter in the settings, but it never reveals whether we can change that number - which leads to:

b - all new Alesis kit except for the Strike kits have proprietary cable snakes - making their low-cost much less of a savings toward also buying a trigger I/O, as we'd also have to buy either ner TRS cables or TRS ends to solder onto the ends after cutting off the singular plug! Argh!!!

So now I'm looking around for a used DM10 Studio Mesh kit. The new rack pieces I'd get would be black instead of chrome... but I'll live! ;)   It would be totally worth it since I'd also be gaining a second DM10 module. Scary that they took this kit off the market!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »
I forgot to mention that I love your kit! Looks great!!! Looks Fun!!!

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:10:23 PM »
How did you do it? I've been searching through the forums and can't seem to find anything on it.
It looks like you've converted the bass pad to a tom pad and a tom pad to a bass pad?

Online AlanK

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »
I did this a couple years ago with my DM10X... put the 8" kick up as a tom and one of the 12" toms as the kick. You do have to swap the attachment piece off the 12" and add it to the 8". I just found the 12" pad was a bit too bouncy as a kick, many multiple hits.. eventually I ordered a larger snare and kick drum from Laurin Drums and have little to no problems with the kick hits.

I just preferred the look of my kit having 8" then 10" and two 12" floors. For a while I had two 8" pads on a concert tom stand and they were jammed up in above my hi-hat. Fun but ended up needing another set at a friend's place so split up the toms and put the concert stand aside.

Maybe the guide was attached to my post on the topic when I did it.. don't remember but it's always fun to change things up
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 08:16:45 PM »
That would make for a cool tutorial, AlanK
So, did you move the big foam chunk from the 8" bass pad to the 12"? Does the 8" just unscrew from the tower or something?

Offline Dobly

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:54:49 PM »
Bass drum as an 8" drum. Brilliant.  I have been toying with the idea of getting an 18" or 20" bassdrum and converting it. had not considered what do to with the 8" bass drum. How did you mount it? Can you add a photo of that?

Online AlanK

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »
Hi guys. First of all, when I did my mesh conversions, I did the 8" kick drum as well (I used the 682drums cone method and removed ALL the foam, flipped the metal disc plate).

The kick stand holds the pad using two of the lugs so you take it off the stand, then unscrew the mount from your larger tom, then put that one on the kick stand with same two lugs, and screw the leftover mount from the 12" (or 10" pad) onto the spare 8". One of the reasons I did this so early on was I really wanted to have my upper toms different sizes for the look.

I couldn't find a photo of the conversion that would show how it looks inside, but I did find a pic from when I had my 12" pad mounted on the kick stand.

By the way, in the attached photo, I've got the 12" on the kick stand, and I'd bought a second 8" pad and so I put that plus the original kick pad up on a concert tom stand. It was really cool for a while, reminded me of my early 20s drumset as I bought a pair of concert toms that were up above my hi-hat. Also was using the Hart Dynamics 15" snare with the hand-hammered shell. I'm using that one over at a friend's place. Gotta say, those Hart drums are rock solid. The mesh heads are the toughest I've ever had and the thing was all metal, weighed a ton but it was like playing a real snare. Before buying my DM10X I seriously wanted one of their big kits (not the cheaper version that used similar pads to Alesis, but their top line kit but alas, they folded and of course, my DM10X was a quarter of the price (or an eighth?).

I do have to say this 12" pad with mesh as a kick pad was way too bouncy. Mind you, that was with the 682 mesh head. I tried it with a Roland mesh and it was much better. And now I'm using the Laurin kick drum and it's generally great..once in a while I get a double trigger/bouncing but I can usually avoid it by placing my foot higher up on the pedal.. too low on the pedal and it gets super bouncy (better while attempting Bonham doubles or triples on the kick but not for standard beats).

Sorry to ramble on, I just wanted to add for any newbies (or old folk) that my kit(s) have gone through constant change and experimentation.. I did this with my acousic sets back in the late 70's and early 80's as well.. always trying different positioning, techniques, different gear to find what I liked best. Now with my return to drumming 25 yrs later, being into e-kits, it seems to be a neverending adjustment and something of a hobby to move cymbals here or there, adjust the heights of my toms, try different methods of foot placement on the kick and hi-hat, and that's just the hardware side. And it's not a labour of pain, it's the opposite.. a real intriguing journey of discovery as a drummer to check out how to make the most of this wonderful thing. I've got buddies I jam with that have drumsets in their basement for me and they are trying them out and always asking about how to play or trying out different placements and I always tell them not to stress out, just keep moving things around and trying different ways as it will always be a learning experience. In the 80's I had my ride up high at a 45 deg angle like most at the time, snare and toms were angled so exteme and high up as well as my crashes. Now I keep everything low.. my toms are almost flat, snare too, cymbals are low.. I'm getting old and I couldn't keep my right arm up high enough to hit the ride for long periods of time.. so things change all the time.

Sorry, not sure why I started to wax poetic and off-topic a bit, just saying that it's great to try stuff out.. see if you like it, if it plays or feels better.. and then try something else. I think that 12" kick pad lasted a week and I went back to the 8" (or tried a 10" for a few days). There's no wrong setup. I'd love to test out the new Strike kick and see how that feels  :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:14:19 AM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »
Man, I love the extra insight. Brings back memories. I used to have my ride way up high at a steep angle too, and had two Jimi Hendrix tiger stripe Ludwig kits paired together.

I also love this whole e-drum exploration, but am a total noob to it, as you can tell by all of my 'dreamer' posts as I try to decide which kit to get next to add on to my DM10X Mesh kit.

I like the idea of adding some 8" mesh pads, but also want to keep my 8" bass drum. Love that thing. So I'll probably start my add-on journey with one of the new mesh kits, Surge or Command, mainly for the extra pads (mostly 8" including a second 8" bass) and the smaller cymbals, but also for the extra rack parts to extend mine to accommodate more pads and eventually a multipad - unless I end up getting that first.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »

The kick stand holds the pad using two of the lugs so you take it off the stand, then unscrew the mount from your larger tom, then put that one on the kick stand with same two lugs, and screw the leftover mount from the 12" (or 10" pad) onto the spare 8". One of the reasons I did this so early on was I really wanted to have my upper toms different sizes for the look.

Arrr I see.. So you swapped an 8" for a 12" or 10" pad. So you had the mounting bits off the pad that was going to become your bass drum.

For me, if i buy a 20" bass drum and convert it, i'll not have spare bits to put on. I wonder if that mounting bit can be bought seperate. I could just buy a 10" tom pad and take the bits off that, but then I'd have a spare 10" that would want to mount.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
That kit looks amazing!!!
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer