Author Topic: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"  (Read 183136 times)

Re: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »
"I'm pretty sure after seeing these new kits that Alesis is done with the "DM" line"

And hence my buyer remorse - had I known this new line of drums were about to be released, I most likely would have postponed my purchase for a few months - don't get me wrong, I love my set and have been playing the Baj*sus out of them!! - just upset with myself that I may have pulled the trigger too soon - comes with the electronic territory I guess!! - buy it today, outdated tomorrow!! LOL

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
"I'm pretty sure after seeing these new kits that Alesis is done with the "DM" line"

And hence my buyer remorse - had I known this new line of drums were about to be released, I most likely would have postponed my purchase for a few months - don't get me wrong, I love my set and have been playing the Baj*sus out of them!! - just upset with myself that I may have pulled the trigger too soon - comes with the electronic territory I guess!! - buy it today, outdated tomorrow!! LOL

I'm sorry you find yourself in the situation. Please keep in mind the DM10 has been on the market since 2009 and many here have been asking for a legitimate upgrade path for at least the last two years. I have a feeling that the new "Strike" module will be compatible with your kit.

"When will the Strike module itself be for sale?"

If I had to guess, I would say about 6 months to a year after Alesis releases the "Strike" kits. Companies always want to sell the kits first, then they typically sell the module separately. I only make this prediction based on past releases from several edrum companies.

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Hellfire.

Thanks for telling me a little about how they release info. That cleared it up for me. From just the little info there is I'm excited.

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
"Please keep in mind the DM10 has been on the market since 2009 and many here have been asking for a legitimate upgrade path for at least the last two years"

That being the case, maybe this new line will also spawn some additional updates for the DM10 - might also explain why they pulled the BlueJay sound set - just a thought

Offline Chaser

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2016, 11:56:18 AM »

BTW, the name of the new drum kits sound like video game names.  ;)

That seems to be the marketing strategy these days..to attract the video game generation.

A great example is Microsoft

Microsoft has a habit of naming software and products after its video games: both Microsoft's Siri-like virtual assistant Cortana and its new Windows 10 browser, codenamed Project Spartan, are based off of  "Halo" characters.

Windows 10, codenamed "Threshold," is a direct reference to the planet of the same name in the "Halo" universe.

Windows 10 update codenamed Redstone, Microsoft is referencing a virtual ore used in the game "Minecraft," which Microsoft now owns after it acquired the game studio behind "Minecraft," Mojang, for $2.5 billion

So there may be some gaming reference in the product names Alesis has chosen

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »
THE most important thing, that will be a dealbreaker is if the hi-hat has multiple zones (tip/edge), which then also is supported by the module of course. If not, you can just as well stick with DM10, since we all use VST:s anyway.

Offline Sam

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »
THE most important thing, that will be a dealbreaker is if the hi-hat has multiple zones (tip/edge), which then also is supported by the module of course. If not, you can just as well stick with DM10, since we all use VST:s anyway.

Exactly my thoughts and concerns! Somebody on the facebook group Edrums World doubted the hi-hat was anything more than single zone. I seriously hope he's wrong.  This will be a deal breaker for me too and I will probably end up buying the new Kat Kt4 (it has a triple zone hi-hat).

If Alesis is trying to compete with the big boys, which they obviously are, they will have to make a dynamic multi zone hi-hat.  I believe it will be an epic fail for them if it's just single zone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:03:13 PM by Sam »
Alesis DM8 Pro, 682Drums Mesh Heads, Addictive Drums, Zildjian Gen16 hi-hats

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2016, 02:12:21 PM »
Well - looking at the Youtube marketing I can't see anything that suggests that hihat is anymore than a single zone, albeit split in two parts and hammered to look nicer and fit to a stand (we all remember the failure of the Alesis ProX hihat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyP4pHFAv3w

Could be wrong. Plenty of ins/outs on the back of the module, but hihat in would need to be at least stereo regardless.

BUT - unfortunately - had the hats been more than single zone this would've been marketed as a big selling point. In the splash text presented, the ride is still pointed out as being 3-zone, while nothing is said about the hats:

http://www.musictech.net/2016/01/namm-2016-alesis-launch-new-products/

• 16” Strike ride cymbal (3-zone) w/full rubber pad and hammer marks
• 12” Strike hi hat cymbals (top & bottom) w/full rubber pads and hammer marks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:16:56 PM by JohnRick »

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2016, 03:53:04 PM »
I was going to post something about the hi hats and you guys beat me to it - probably my only beef with my DM10X mesh kit is the hi hats - after 25+ years of acoustic drumming to 70's and 80's music, the hi hat plays a huge part in my drumming style - we can only hope this new module is more in line with other manufacturers in regards to hi hat sound and versatility - in addition, I'm hoping for firmware updates for the DM10 that includes a wider hi hat sound - I guess we will see

Offline rhysT

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »
As Alesis and AIR Music Technology are both owned by inMusic, this could be a vital clue to the Alesis Strike kits puzzle:
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/strike-2#overview

Maybe a Lite version of the Strike 2 software will be included with the new kits!

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »
I listened to 6 kits over at AIR. Didn't hear much new in the way of hi hats but the rest sounded great!
JimmyB

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2016, 05:15:38 PM »
 Hence the name Strike Zone and Strike Pro - good find rhysT!!  8)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »
As Alesis and AIR Music Technology are both owned by inMusic, this could be a vital clue to the Alesis Strike kits puzzle:
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/strike-2#overview

Maybe a Lite version of the Strike 2 software will be included with the new kits!

I don't think that InMusic would allow to irritate customers with the same product name for different products - software from AIR with hardware/software combination from Alesis - if they don't make it transparent to all.

The "Strike" software from AIR is something like EZDrummer with tools for the studio producer. The Strike module software from Alesis seems to be optimized for handling velocity and articulation layers for edrums (including a 10-sensor triggering circuit on a snare), not for VSTi's. And it has sampling capabilities, which i don't see in the AIR software. AIR's product needs 56 GB harddisc space for 19 factory kits.

What i don't know is why the heck has nobody at InMusic recognized this marketing error? Maybe because they wanted to place "something" very fast at winter NAMM before the rest of the pack (like Roland and Yamaha) could do it?

Offline rhysT

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »
I don't think that InMusic would allow to irritate customers with the same product name for different products - software from AIR with hardware/software combination from Alesis - if they don't make it transparent to all ..............

Alesis could have an agreement with AIR to use a limited (editor) version of Strike 2, similar to FXpansion allowing NFUZD to use BFD Eco for their kit sample import interface. AIR would expect to score extra sales of Strike 2 (full version) like FXpansion with BFD3.

At least if Alesis intends to use kit editor software based on Strike 2, their anticipated release of the Strike kits around Q2/16 just may be feasible.

Also, AIR's Structure 2 Sampler has some impressive features: http://www.airmusictech.com/product/structure-2#overview
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:26:19 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2016, 11:10:01 PM »
I asked a few of the questions you might be interested in. I was told the Hi Hat cymbal WILL be 2 zone this time. The crashes will be chokable, not just one of them. 3 zone Ride as already mentioned. The cymbals are still similar, so I would say they should work fine with the DM10, with the exception of the extra zone on the HH cymbal of course and the DM10 current limitations as far as cymbal chokes. They will need to be tweaked parameter wise according to Tim, they just got in and that was one of the reasons they did not get a kit ready for NAMM because they had not adjusted/tweaked the module for the new cymbals. I was told the limit would be 40 velocity samples X 16 ..... or you could put 640 samples on one instrument but you would have shot your load on that one, so AFAIK you have 640 to play with within the kit? The module had no sounds loaded at NAMM, so a hands on test is obviously useless. But it certainly looks like a move in the right direction, and it is NOT a 2 layer limit like the Sample Rack, or Sample Pad Pro..... So, maybe the Edrum industry is starting to "get it" ...... Anyway ..... hope it helps. J  Oh, and digitalDrummer magazine is supposed to get a kit to test and review so check back with Allan on that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:19:51 PM by Jman »

Offline Khes74

« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2016, 11:41:59 PM »
This new kit is far overdue, but from the looks of things, it seems that it is worth the wait.  I've always desired an e-drum kit that had FULL SIZE pads like that of an acoustic kit.  Roldand's TD-30KV V-Pro series was the closest we've seen, but at the cost of $7,500 US.  I believe the largest pads are 12".  The new Strike Pro has 14" snare and floor tom....YES!

I would call these Alesis Pads quarter sized in terms of depth They are most likely 5" deep like Drum-Tec's Diablo Series pads.

Acoustic sizes refers to diameter AND depth. While these Alesis pads fufill the diameter requirement with the exception of one floor tom and the kick drum, they don't fufill the depth requirement to be acoustic sizes. Unless you count travel kits or kids sets, but you would never use those from recording or live purposes.

While 14" floor toms exist, I wish Alesis would put two 14" floor toms on and Pro kit and one 14" floor tom on the Zone kit.

Of course you can find a 14" x 5" snare and even a 10" x 5" tom-tom but 14" x 5" floor toms and 14" x 5" bass-drums don't exist. That being said these Alesis sets don't seem like they supposed to function as both an electronic and an acoustic kit.

Not many full sized electronic kits exist, partly because some drummers chose electronic drums because of how they take up less space and are easier to transport compared than acoustics, generally speaking.

In reality, it's quite easy to get a full sized electronic kit, just buy a cheap set and do an A to E conversion. If, you don't want full sized pads, only pads with acoustic diameters, there should be cheap snare drums about 5" Deep that come in the sizes 10" 12" and 14". Companies like Pintech could convert them for you, or you could do it yourself.

What I find quirky and unappealing is the fact they use a 12" floor tom. 14" minimum please! If they are going to have two floor tom-toms using two 14" is fine, Field Electronic Drums does that. Although the second floor tom being 16" wouldn't be bad...

I would like to see these sizes minimum on electronic drums, 13" OR 14" snare, 10", 12" 14" toms and 18" kick. Granted going bigger is of course fine.

Although, I don't think I've seen these pad sizes sold together with cymbals, a rack and a brain
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:17:15 PM by Khes74 »

Offline Khes74

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2016, 11:44:45 PM »
I asked a few of the questions you might be interested in. I was told the Hi Hat cymbal WILL be 2 zone this time. The crashes will be chokable, not just one of them. 3 zone Ride as already mentioned. The cymbals are still similar, so I would say they should work fine with the DM10, with the exception of the extra zone on the HH cymbal of course and the DM10 current limitations as far as cymbal chokes. They will need to be tweaked parameter wise according to Tim, they just got in and that was one of the reasons they did not get a kit ready for NAMM because they had not adjusted/tweaked the module for the new cymbals. I was told the limit would be 40 velocity samples X 16 ..... or you could put 640 samples on one instrument but you would have shot your load on that one, so AFAIK you have 640 to play with within the kit? The module had no sounds loaded at NAMM, so a hands on test is obviously useless. But it certainly looks like a move in the right direction, and it is NOT a 2 layer limit like the Sample Rack, or Sample Pad Pro..... So, maybe the Edrum industry is starting to "get it" ...... Anyway ..... hope it helps. J  Oh, and digitalDrummer magazine is supposed to get a kit to test and review so check back with Allan on that.

Maybe the dual zone hi-hat will be bow/bell, kind of silly though. I know Pintech does that I will never understand why they don't stick the second zone on the edge. Even if the hi-hat is two zones a non-dynamic switch zone(assuming it's not piezo/piezo) is a major turn off. which the Dm10 lacked.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:50:44 PM by Khes74 »

Offline Khes74

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2016, 11:47:08 PM »

Exactly my thoughts and concerns! Somebody on the facebook group Edrums World doubted the hi-hat was anything more than single zone. I seriously hope he's wrong.  This will be a deal breaker for me too and I will probably end up buying the new Kat Kt4 (it has a triple zone hi-hat).

If Alesis is trying to compete with the big boys, which they obviously are, they will have to make a dynamic multi zone hi-hat.  I believe it will be an epic fail for them if it's just single zone.

Triple zone hi-hat? Who plays the bell of the hi-hat?  ??? Ok I will admit I have done that.

But if the hi-hat isn't two zones that will certainly be a flunk.

Offline Sam

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2016, 12:28:29 AM »

That's good news about the hi-hat!  Let's hope they get the dynamics and feel right.  Thanks.
Alesis DM8 Pro, 682Drums Mesh Heads, Addictive Drums, Zildjian Gen16 hi-hats

Offline Chaser

« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2016, 12:33:22 AM »
Some pics..module was in demo mode so screen transitioned fast

Offline Chaser

« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2016, 12:34:18 AM »
and a couple more...

Edit:I went ahead and created/added a B/W back panel for a better look at everything... 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:04:13 AM by Chaser »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2016, 05:04:13 AM »
Alesis could have an agreement with AIR to use a limited (editor) version of Strike 2, similar to FXpansion allowing NFUZD to use BFD Eco for their kit sample import interface. AIR would expect to score extra sales of Strike 2 (full version) like FXpansion with BFD3.

The AIR Strike editor is an "arranger" and is intended mainly for producers with keyboards, not for real drummers. I can't see a feature that could allow users to resample their own soundfiles with given layers and upload it to a module. I don't think that they will use a stripped-down version as an editor - and Alesis just have a working GUI and app framework with the DMTouch app.

What i could think of is an integration of part(s) of AIR's audio/sampling technology into the module's brain.

If Alesis says that they couldn't demo the modules' sounds because of the new cymbals and missing config, then there is something of the audio engine ready (or they are lying). But then i don't get it why they don't announce the technical partnership with AIR, being a serious player in the softsynth market now. NFUZD has done this from the very first moment they showed their product on a booth (and it wasn't completely "ready to market" too).

The more i think about the current presentation on the Alesis booth, the more it reminds me of the DMDock with several "new" announcements over several NAMMs and no really ready product until the very end. But a little bit of hope is here that they could have learned from this marketing desaster ;) ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:14:58 AM by vaikl »

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »
I don't see a headphone jack or headphone volume.
Do I just not see them?
JimmyB

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
I don't see a headphone jack or headphone volume.
Do I just not see them?
JimmyB
I think it's on the bottom right.
You can see a silver knob in this vid along with the price $2500
http://youtu.be/ZePmtT2OKT0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:16:20 AM by Dan little »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Good eyes...with it being on an angle on the rack and no cable I didn't notice it ..you can see it in the other pics..bottom right, I almost cropped it out.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:36:11 AM by Chaser »